Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North Jersey or Long Island
North Jersey 208 62.28%
Long Island 126 37.72%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 03:31 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I am from New Jersey but I could never bash New York, thats like my second home, half of my family is from Brooklyn.
At least you're attempting to bridge gaps. Instead of spitting fire.

The thought that one is any 'better' than the other has been lost on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 03:52 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You do know that Jones beach has the most amount of visitors out of all beaches in the country, right?

Those 1.2 million people a month aren't people just from Nassau and Suffolk counties...

Jones Beach Sponsors Reach 1.2MM Visitors per Month - MediaBuyerPlanner
I'm sure they are not all from Suffolk and Nassau Counties. Truthfully we have no way of determining who is from where. All I know is there are tons of NYers from all boroughs at the Jersey Shore. I can determine this by license plates. Using that same license plate method in Jones Beach would be ineffective seeing that Long Islanders also have NY plates.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:53 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
At least you're attempting to bridge gaps. Instead of spitting fire.

The thought that one is any 'better' than the other has been lost on me.
Exactly man, theres no point in starting more beef, especially since NJ and NY are neighbors.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:56 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra02 View Post
Most people can't say anything specific about New Jersey
Your attitude is exactly what I don't like about New Jerseyans, you talk trash about the city and the boros while Brooklyn or Queens are more urban, dense and populous than any city in New Jersey.
No, I live in Brooklyn, still more urban, cultured and populous than any city in New Jersey.
Right...that's because NYC is....a CITY. NJ is the suburbs. There are many, many, many people who strongly prefer suburban living over dense urban living.

Compare the density of Nassau County to Union County.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:46 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
^the comparison was between the boroughs and jersey's cities

Old 05-24-2010, 05:40 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
I like NJ better for my primary residence because of the hills. I like winding, wooded roads through the hills, and LI is a little too flat for my taste. If we were comparing NJ to Westchester, that would be a much harder decision for me.

That being said...

I like the beaches in Eastern LI much better than the Jersey shore. I grew up going to the Jersey shore, and it is a lot of fun for the under 30 crowd, but Eastern LI's beaches are more beautiful. It has much more of a New England/Nantucket feel to it, for lack of a better way to descibe it. It's hamlets are very quaint, but sophisticated. When I am out there, I feel like I am in farm country, the beach, and Hollywood all at the same time. I wouldn't know where else to find such an interesting mix. I love the dunes, with it's plant life, the dune grass, and the sand is perfect. It is definitely one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:02 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Quote:
Ha, Ha. Yeah, you want to compare 2,400 strong East Newark or 10,000 strong Gutenberg with 2.5M Brooklyn? Following your thought maybe we should all admire urbanity of Harrison or Hoboken over NYC, San Francisco or Chicago.

No, buddy. I said "No, I live in Brooklyn, still more urban, cultured and populous than any city in New Jersey" and yet you chose to focus on density alone. Unfortunately for you the state of New Jersey does not have a single city over 500K (Brooklyn alone is 2.5M) and the four over 100K - Newark, JC, Elisabeth and Patterson - are not much to look at and not famous for anything. Maybe with an exception of Newark but you can keep that kind of fame to yourselves
These facts alone tell you a lot about the state of New Jersey - in esssence a huge, bland, cultureless subburb.
Paterson*
Elizabeth*
essence*
suburb*

I bet your going to go on saying Brooklyn has better schools too

Anyway, you go on saying NJ isn't as dense as NYC as if you're making sense, let alone a having a point when there's NO CITY denser than NYC! If anything, Hudson County NJ has one of the highest population densities in the nation outside 4 of the boroughs and San Fran County.
Where did I say those cities should be admired urban wonders? It may have been pulled out of your ass, but I never said such a thing. You said NJ has no cities with a higher population density than Brooklyn or Queens when NJ has cities with higher population densities (and NJ's major cities are among the densest in the nation), no one said they were better. And since your so worked up about urbanity and culture, what makes LI so much greater than NNJ... just curious since NJ is on average more urban than anything on Nassau and Suffolk counties (LI and NNJ culture are similar, but they have there differences)

Personally, give me Jersey City over Brooklyn. Apparently, you think JC is "nothing to look at" but it indeed has a great vibe to it. Why would I want to pay so much to live in Brooklyn when I can live in Jersey City for so much cheaper and be 2 miles from downtown Manhattan? And per capita, there's more professional jobs in Jersey City than all of the outer boroughs.
IMO, if I can't live in Manhattan I'd choose JC over the other 4 boroughs.

You do realize your the one bashing NJ beyond recognition and yet your the one falsely claiming that NJians are bashing NYC Going by your logic, it's ok to brutally bash NJ as a NYer, but NYers are far too great to take the slightest criticism. On top of that, your NYC ego turned this NNJ Vs LI thread into a comparison between NJ and NYC. Get over yourself.

Last edited by BPerone201; 05-24-2010 at 07:21 PM..

Old 05-24-2010, 07:36 PM

42 posts, read 34,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post

If anything, Hudson County NJ has one of the highest population densities in the nation outside 4 of the boroughs and San Fran County.
Where did I say those cities should be admired urban wonders? It may have been pulled out of your ass, but I never said such a thing. You said NJ has no cities with a higher population density than Brooklyn or Queens when NJ has cities with higher population densities (and NJ's major cities are among the densest in the nation), no one said they were better.
You just did it again, you compared little towns like Gutenberg with population of 10,000 to Brooklyn and Queens, both over 2M of population. Why even make such comparisons? They look stupid. And by the way, this is what I said:
Quote:
Your attitude is exactly what I don't like about New Jerseyans, you talk trash about the city and the boros while Brooklyn or Queens are more urban, dense and populous than any city in New Jersey.
Can you find a city that is more urban, dense and populous than Brooklyn in New Jersey?

Quote:
Personally, give me Jersey City over Brooklyn. Apparently, you think JC is "nothing to look at" but it indeed has a great vibe to it. Why would I want to pay so much to live in Brooklyn when I can live in Jersey City for so much cheaper and be 2 miles from downtown Manhattan? And per capita, there's more professional jobs in Jersey City than all of the outer boroughs.
IMO, if I can't live in Manhattan I'd choose JC over the other 4 boroughs.
"2M from Manhattan: that's such a suburban BS. Living in JC all you can do is take a train to Manhattan while living in Brooklyn you don't have to go anywhere to experience the life of the city. There are neighborhoods in Brooklyn like Park Slope or Williamsburg that easily rival Manhattan in vibe, life and culture. Plus you are connected to the ENTIRE city of New York and not just Manhattan. Don't be such a tourist...

Quote:
You do realize your the one bashing NJ beyond recognition and yet your the one falsely claiming that NJians are bashing NYC Going by your logic, it's ok to brutally bash NJ as a NYer, but NYers are far too great to take the slightest criticism. On top of that, your NYC ego turned this NNJ Vs LI thread into a comparison between NJ and NYC. Get over yourself.
Bashing? To most people in the world New Jersey does not mean anything, that's how uneventfull and bland this state is. Not a single major city that is worth mentioning. Proximity to New York and Philly is the only thing you guys can claim. Talking about New Jersey versus LI, Nassau county is pretty much an extension of Queens. Suffolk beautiful and convenient weekend getaway. You guys on the other hand live in a totally different realm.

Last edited by abracadabra02; 05-24-2010 at 07:58 PM..

Old 05-24-2010, 08:06 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times
I'm sorry, but personally, i couldn't give a crap about how dense a city is, if anything, I'd view more density as a problem. Now, to the issue of NYer's at NJ beaches. They do come, and they do come in droves. Whether or not more come to the Jersey Shore is a different issue, but there are many NY license plates, and everyone get ticked off at them. Plus, people get REALLY ticked of at NY for the whole Guido image that THEY have created and is associated with NJ (that REALLY ticks people off). Also, every tourist area has the right to complain about the tourists that invade their area. Also NJ does not really need a major city. I mean really, where on earth are we going to put it? In the end I'd say North Jersey vs LI is just an argument of semantics, what you're used to, and where you're from are going to affect you're choice more than anything. Each offers scenic locations and great slices of Americana. From what I've read, it looks like a six and one half dozen is the other situation.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:19 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
ticked off t what? Should new yorkers get ticked off at the amount of jersey plates coming to the city in droves?

And new jersey has guido culture aswell not only ny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City