Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better sports city, NYC or LA?
NYC 207 77.82%
LA 59 22.18%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,288,527 times

Advertisements

LA is obviously about to have two NFL teams, so get in your dumb comments while you can....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 09:20 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,443,840 times
NYC. I feel like Los Angeles teams don't have a true fanbase like other cities. Its hard to explain but compared to like Chicago and New York, I just feel like LA doesn't have true sports fans, just people who kinda root for their hometown team.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,443,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085 View Post
NYC > LA.

LA is one of the worst sports cities IMO. Has nothing to do with the teams. Its all about how closely the city identifies with its teams and the passion of the fans.
Yes. This is what I tried to explain.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:53 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,454,507 times
NYC by far

go visit nyc and ask anyone in the service industry about the yankees

Old 07-10-2012, 10:10 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,524,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
We do, it's called "USC".

OK, a team and a half. We have UCLA too.
And NY has no college FB, never will. However, its an inevitability that LA gets an NFL team.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:12 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,524,080 times
[quote=CinSonic;25112415]NYC. I feel like Los Angeles teams don't have a true fanbase like other cities. Its hard to explain but compared to like Chicago and New York, I just feel like LA doesn't have true sports fans, just people who kinda root for their hometown team.[/quote]

Believe whatever you want.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:01 PM

229 posts, read 466,024 times
L.A isn't even better than cleveland as a great sports city.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:02 AM

93 posts, read 157,418 times
I agree sport teams play third tier position in Los Angeles entertainment venue
not as important in LA as they are in other cities, not sure why that is.
Maybe angelenos will get excited about sports if the city was to host the OLYMPIC GAMES games for a third time

Last edited by MeridianX; 07-11-2012 at 12:12 AM..

Old 07-16-2012, 11:06 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,653,045 times
Well my response may upset a few folks on here but i gotta call it like i see it,, when it comes to new york sports it's all about the yankees....the giants don't even play in new york city that's a strike right there L.A nfl problem goes to the city officials but even tho people in L.A bleed purple and gold blue and white we really do riot for the lakers,,but if this was 50 years ago than nyc no doubt but since the 80” s here in modern day times no other city has been more successful in sports like los angeles we've produced the first black billionaire in tiger woods 10 or 11 titles between magic johnson and kobe the star power of oscar de la hoya and sugar shane the best soccer team in the world u.s galaxy the best tennis players in the world venus and serena the best college teams in the world I mean just going by titles and numbers alone L.A by a landslide and it's not even close even our hockey team the LA kings just brought a title New york is close boston is close but in the last thirty plus years it's been all L.A

Old 07-17-2012, 12:24 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,138,182 times
The ignorance of people is hilarious. You people really have no clue about LA and how great of a sports town LA really is.

The people who talk smack have clearly never been here.

First of all, LA did not lose the NFL teams due to lack of fan support. The facts are that the Raiders and Rams were very well supported and usually drew very large crowds. The issues are and have always been with the actual stadiums. Teams don't want to play in a 100,000 + seat stadium in a bad area with no luxury suites. LA is not desperate like most cities and will not bend over for sports franchises. St.Louis let itself get raped to get the Rams. LA told those teams to F off. If those teams had gotten new stadiums, they would still be here. Farmers Field is privately financed and will change all of that.

As for our other teams. The Dodgers and Angels consistently rank in the top 5 in attendance. The Lakers are the Lakers. The Clippers, despite how historically horrible they have been, have always drawn very well and have consistently been in the top half of the league in attendance. They are also one of only 8 profitable teams in the league. If they played anywhere else, they would have folded by now. LA loves the Galaxy and is always tops in attendance behind Seattles. The Kings also do very well, which is remarkable considering LA has not natrual connection to hockey in any way shape or form, its not in our culture. We also support our two top notch college programs to the fullest. Nothing is better than going to the Coliseum or the Rose Bowl and being a part of that atmoshpere.

When LA gets the NFL again, we will be complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City