Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better sports city, NYC or LA?
NYC 207 77.82%
LA 59 22.18%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 09:18 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
The NBA is way better than college basketball
I think NCAAM can make a good argument that it's much more pass-orientated and team ball than the NBA (though the Warriors and Spurs have helped shift the league away from iso basketball). Inferior athletes, but a (arguably) better atmosphere and team play (I prefer the NBA as well, but I think college basketball has far less of a gap in quality than other collegiate sports to their major league parents).

9 reasons college basketball is better than the NBA | For The Win
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 09:22 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,316 times
The 76ers suck and they would still destroy any college team

Old 01-26-2016, 09:22 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,435,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Lol, how is Jeter not a top 5 shortstop/top 15 player? And Yogi Berra has 10 championships as a player! Posada is widely viewed as one of the greatest catchers ever, and will certainly be a First-Ballot Hall of Famer. I'll give you Maris, though I think he's been unfairly shunned by the media/writers--he's right there at the cusp. Dude broke a huge baseball record (HRs in a season), won 2 MVPs, and was on 3 championship squads. Everyone else on my initial, off-the-top list is unquestionably considered great, and on any top 15/10/5 position list you can think of, in addition to all-time great lists.
Jeter isn't a top 15 player ever.
Please.

Maris, posada etc aren't either.
I'm not talking about positions..
The Lakers have 3-4 guys people argue could be the best ever.
Or second best ever.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:24 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,180 times
Quote:
Didn't forget about UCLA, but they've been pretty much irrelevant since 2008, and haven't won a title since '95. And besides '95, all of those other titles came from '64-'75. UCLA hasn't been a recent juggernaut, though I do understand their historical impact to the game.
Then lets turn it around.

Knicks- two titles. Haven't been relevant since when? '99?
Nets- Better than Clippers, but Billy King ruined that franchise for years to come.
Yankees- Greatest franchise in all of sports.
Mets- Angles/Mets is pretty close. Tie.
Rangers- Haven't won since '94. Better history than the Kings but not recent success.
Islanders- dominated in early 80's have sucked ever since.
Giants- Pro Football is where NYC shines over LA
Jets- Same as above.
RedBulls- Galaxy has a better history no doubt.
NYCFC/LAFC- Tie no legacy.

College Sports-

Ummmmm.....Yeah. No USC or Even UCLA in any college sport except hockey for miles in a out of NYC. UConn basketball maybe, but are New Yorkers even UConn fans or even care about their sports? Rutgers? Trash.

Olympic Sports---

Just read this article

Action Sports:

LA

Old 01-26-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
The 76ers suck and they would still destroy any college team
Having had the 'privilege' of watching the Sixers live this year, I vehemently disagree. Are we playing by pro rules or college ones? Regardless, I could see the Sixers (or Lakers or Nets) drop a game to an elite college basketball squad.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Having had the 'privilege' of watching the Sixers live this year, I vehemently disagree. Are we playing by pro rules or college ones? Regardless, I could see the Sixers (or Lakers or Nets) drop a game to an elite college basketball squad.
I disagree, everybody in the NBA is a professional basketball player. Not everybody on Kentucky or Duke makes the NBA.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I disagree, everybody in the NBA is a professional basketball player. Not everybody on Kentucky or Duke makes the NBA.
But not everyone on an NBA team is relevant to a team's success or even that good to begin with--professionalism is not a synonym for excellence. Typical NBA roster has 1 or 2 stars, 2-3 key role players, and about 9-12 bodies there to just take fouls and set picks for the stars.

Furthermore, when compared to college and European basketball, the NBA is much more iso attack oriented and individualistic. It's no surprise that the two best NBA teams today are recent outliers in the league, in terms of how they play.The Warriors literally doubled their amount of assists against the Cavs and Bulls, recent steamrolled opponents who summarize my first paragraph nicely.

The nature of college basketball, with much more time to shoot and advance the ball, along with no restrictions on zone defense, inherently stimulates much better ball movement and team play. And as showed by the Spurs recently (before LA joined), ball movement and team basketball can overcome physicality, and demolish individualistic, superstar driven teams. Why do you think no one respected the Rockets last year (and sure as hell not this year)?

Old 01-26-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Jeter isn't a top 15 player ever.
Please.

Maris, posada etc aren't either.
I'm not talking about positions..
The Lakers have 3-4 guys people argue could be the best ever.
Or second best ever.
Oh, but you are talking about positions. Shaq is in no way an overall top 5 player. Center position, yes. Overall? No. Wilt is in the discussion as best ever overall, but his best years were not with the Lakers. A little disingenuous on your part. The jury is still out on Kobe, but no, I don't think he cracks top 5 of all time. Again, another position top 5. Same thing with West. Really, the only true Laker shoe-ins for top 5 of all time are Kareem and Magic. Wilt is a top 5 of all time, but I don't think he goes in as just a Laker--his tenure with the Warriors and Sixers is just as, if not more, important. The Yankees have more true top 5 of all time overall candidates and longer-tenured Yankees players (and baseball is even more position specialized).

Old 01-26-2016, 11:46 AM

Fine you can take any college team you want, I'll take the Lakers, Nets or 76ers. I promise you the NBA team wins.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:08 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,435,849 times
Quote:
Oh, but you are talking about positions. Shaq is in no way an overall top 5 player. Center position, yes. Overall? No. Wilt is in the discussion as best ever overall, but his best years were not with the Lakers. A little disingenuous on your part. The jury is still out on Kobe, but no, I don't think he cracks top 5 of all time. Again, another position top 5. Same thing with West. Really, the only true Laker shoe-ins for top 5 of all time are Kareem and Magic. Wilt is a top 5 of all time, but I don't think he goes in as just a Laker--his tenure with the Warriors and Sixers is just as, if not more, important. The Yankees have more true top 5 of all time overall candidates and longer-tenured Yankees players (and baseball is even more position specialized).

You don't get it.

Many argue kobe is the best. Many argue he's second.
Same goes for
Ksreem
Wilt
Magic .

Shaq is considered to be most dominant player ever, still top 15.

These are real legends.

West is the logo.

You threw up names like Jeter
Maris.
Posada .
Etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City