Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better sports city, NYC or LA?
NYC 207 77.82%
LA 59 22.18%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 05:25 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times

Advertisements

They did the same thing in Boston. ^^^^ The Lakers are basketball's version the the Cowboys, their "fans" are all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 08:45 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
Actually, it's Celtic FC (pronounced Keltick FC) in Scotland.
sooooooooooo wrong

You should know what you are talking about before "winking" and asking krudmonk if theyre a soccer fan

And just as a side note, the word Celtic, describing the people, was originally pronounced Seltic anyways.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:09 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
This is a joke question, right?

The ONLY sport where Los Angeles beats New York is college football (where it wins handily). Every other sport, including pro basketball, New York wins IMO. When the Knicks are good, they are a tougher ticket than the Lakers. Unfortunately for Knicks fans, James Dolan is an idiot.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:05 AM

^^^ couldn't say it any better myself.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:16 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post

The ONLY sport where Los Angeles beats New York is college football (where it wins handily). Every other sport, including pro basketball, New York wins IMO. When the Knicks are good, they are a tougher ticket than the Lakers. Unfortunately for Knicks fans, James Dolan is an idiot.
You would give this to the Knicks, even with the History/players/championships/success that the Lakers possess?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:28 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
You would give this to the Knicks, even with the History/players/championships/success that the Lakers possess?
The question was which city is a better sports city, which I infer as which city has stronger fan interest and support. The Lakers do have a rich tradition of winning, but I think the level of interest in the Lakers in Los Angeles is less than the level of interest in the Knicks in New York when the teams are roughly equal in quality. I do think the pro basketball comparison between the two cities is relatively close, but again I'd rate New York higher.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:49 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,722 times
Quote:
The question was which city is a better sports city, which I infer as which city has stronger fan interest and support. The Lakers do have a rich tradition of winning, but I think the level of interest in the Lakers in Los Angeles is less than the level of interest in the Knicks in New York when the teams are roughly equal in quality. I do think the pro basketball comparison between the two cities is relatively close, but again I'd rate New York higher.
Fair enough, if there was a close spot between both cities its pro-basketball. Fan support is tough to quantify (attendance, merchandise sale, observation, etc?), but even though Knicks do have some great fans, Lakers is a more dominate franchise in LA that people rally around, so its tough.

Additionally, I think winning and tradition/history does play a significant role (look at the Yankees) so thats why i choose LA.

To complete the list LA takes both basketball crowns, NYC takes everything else. Thus NYC for me.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:02 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,685,068 times
Quote:

Should I Laugh,Knicks do have better b-ball Fans though that know their team suck but they don't care,Lakers Fans are probably the worst Ive ever Seen,Such a Great Team with the quietest Crowd,But I Like Staples better Than MSG,but MSG Has alot of history since It was built in the 1960's I Believe.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Should I Laugh,Knicks do have better b-ball Fans though that know their team suck but they don't care,Lakers Fans are probably the worst Ive ever Seen,Such a Great Team with the quietest Crowd,But I Like Staples better Than MSG,but MSG Has alot of history since It was built in the 1960's I Believe.
That has to be the most inane comment I've ever on City-data ( and I've seen plenty) Knick fans don't "care" that their team is loosing? You're kidding right? Why do you think some people call Lakers fans "Fakers"? LA is notorious for being bandwagon and fairweather fans. Baseball may dominate NYC, but basetball is still a city game, and there is only one basetball team in New York. Knicks fans have been waiting for a title for over 30 years, and we're still loyal to our team.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:32 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
If we're talking about NBA then i'll say Lakers over Knicks because of one word, HISTORY. All the championships. The Lakers and Celtics rivalry, the Magic vs Bird, the Fabulous Forum, THEN the Staples Center, Shaq and Kobe days, the 3 championships in 2000,2001,2002, NOW the NEW Lakers vs Cletics rivalry. The Knicks have soem VERY loyal fans, Spike Lee is in attendance EVERY night. But old Jack Nicholos has been going to Lakers games for decades from what I heard. Remember LA has 2 NBA teams but EVERYONE is loyal to the Lakers. NYC has one team for NOW. When they get the Brooklyn Nets it will be intresting to see how loyal they still are, if the Brooklyn NETS become a caliber team BEFORE the Knicks. So if we're talking about NBA then LAKERS over KNICKS, but since we're talking about OVERALL sport, then I say NYC. With the EXCEPTION of COLLEGE football(USC) and college basketball(UCLA) BUT EVERYTHING ELSE NYC WINS THIS POLL. NYC FANS ARE INSANE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City