Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better sports city, NYC or LA?
NYC 207 77.82%
LA 59 22.18%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 06:15 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
And there's more playoff series in nba, hence more chsnces to lose.
It balances out.

You're either good or you're not.
Period.
No. A best of 7 gives both teams more chances to figure out the other team and right the ship, so to speak. Good teams rarely lose to bad/mediocre ones in 7 games in the NBA. When they do, they go down in infamy (like the Sonics losing to the Nuggets). Best of five series and do or die games are much harder even for elite teams.

Quote:
Lakers have 17 rings

It's not like the braves at .all.
The Lakers IN Los Angeles have 11 rings, 16 overall. Don't kill your whole city argument now. And they've lost the Finals more then they've won, to their rivals with more rings, no doubt. Let's be real here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Don't get mad at the NBA for having the best team actually winning the championship every year (which is you know, the objective for professional sports from a competitive standpoint anyway). There is low parity in the NFL. I can guarantee that the Patriots make it to the AFC championship next year again and the Browns and Jaguars continue to be horrible next year as well. The NFL rewards mediocrity much more than the NBA. Take for example, how can a 7-9 or a 8-8 team consistently make the playoffs (it is no fluke, this happens frequently) over a team that's 10-6 that is also in the SAME CONFERENCE just because the 7-9 team won their pathetic division and the 10-6 did not. That would never happen in the NBA.
A team with a losing record making the NFL playoffs has happened 4 times in NFL HISTORY--and two of those were during shortened seasons. The NBA has had 12 in just the past 15 seasons. There's no comparison here. The NFL and MLB are much more balanced than the NBA. Does anyone expect the title to go to anyone other than the Warriors, Spurs or possibly Cavs? Yet here we have two teams playing next week who haven't won a title ever or in 17 years. And Carolina was garbage, what, 2-3 years ago? The ****ing Mets made the World Series. That's true parity, which the NBA has lacked for over three decades. Do you see the Pacers winning it all this year? Happens in football and baseball with quite regularity, because teams aren't as ungodly stacked.

And as far as seeding, that **** happens all the time. The Spurs were the 6th seed but had a better record than Portland last year, who was the 4. Why do you think they finally changed the playoff seeding this year? Hell, Adam Silver is even thinking of doing more drastic changes a la the WNBA. The NBA playoffs are broken, and I say this as a fan. Too much crap gets in, and they go on for FAR too long. Playoff appearances is one of the worst metrics you can use to compare to other sports.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ayoff-changes/

Last edited by qworldorder; 01-29-2016 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 06:47 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,436,102 times
I JUST TOLD YOU. A team that has a 8-8 or a 9-7 record doesn't make them a good team.
You're under an impression they are. They're borderline average. I would say 10-6 is a good indicator of a actual contender.

And how does a 7-9=39-43 anyway? It's not really comparable, when you factor the number of games.

IN THE NBA AND NHL, the best teams get to the finals a VAST MAJORITY OF THE TIME. So the Lakers have gotten to the finals 27 times in the 56 years.

They've consistently been the best team in sports (good in 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s) more than any other team. And you can talk about the NBA inviting more teams in, but the Lakers have been a top seed more than not. Its not some crappy team that only got in as a 5-8 seed.

HOW IS THIS SO HARD TO FIGURE OUT?

I dont want to hear any more excuses about the Yankees long playoff droughts either. 10 and 14 years is not a joke when there is no dominant team going instead.

And please, inform who in the hell was the Bill Russell's Boston Celtics of the American League from 1980-1994?

The Yankees didn't go, because they had terrible players for long stretches of time.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:49 PM

Who was really going to to the SB this year besides

DEN
NE
CAR
ARIZ?

The nfl was terrible this year.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Who was really going to to the SB this year besides

DEN
NE
CAR
ARIZ?

The nfl was terrible this year.
Uh, Green Bay, Seattle and Kansas City all had legitimate bids. If anything, this was the strongest playoff field in recent memory.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I JUST TOLD YOU. A team that has a 8-8 or a 9-7 record doesn't make them a good team.
You're under an impression they are. They're borderline average. I would say 10-6 is a good indicator of a actual contender.

And how does a 7-9=39-43 anyway? It's not really comparable, when you factor the number of games.

IN THE NBA AND NHL, the best teams get to the finals a VAST MAJORITY OF THE TIME. So the Lakers have gotten to the finals 27 times in the 56 years.

They've consistently been the best team in sports (good in 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s) more than any other team. And you can talk about the NBA inviting more teams in, but the Lakers have been a top seed more than not. Its not some crappy team that only got in as a 5-8 seed.

HOW IS THIS SO HARD TO FIGURE OUT?

I dont want to hear any more excuses about the Yankees long playoff droughts either. 10 and 14 years is not a joke when there is no dominant team going instead.

And please, inform who in the hell was the Bill Russell's Boston Celtics of the American League from 1980-1994?

The Yankees didn't go, because they had terrible players for long stretches of time.
Since we're GOING TO PLAY THE ALL CAPS GAME, why do you keep dismissing the mediocrity of the NBA? The NFL might have, at best, one or two 9-7 playoff teams in any given year. 8-8 and below really are flukes, as I've proven. The NBA LITERALLY has 3-4 bad teams make it every year. No exception. The way the game of basketball is currently structured, it's much easier for teams to be elite and remain elite. That's not parity, and that's not good competition.

And as far as the YANKEES, they've never sucked as bad as the Lakers currently do. Fact. Since you'll keep ignoring the playoff difficulty of baseball to make your self feel better, I'll just keep pointing out that THE LAKERS IN LOS ANGELES HAVE A LOSING RECORD IN THE FINALS SINCE 1960. Yankees > Lakers in every objective way when it comes to championships. NYC > LA in sports. Give it up and tout your weather or something.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:26 PM

Are you kidding? Last year was stronger, as was the year before. At least DET, DALLAS, PHILLY, were competing for playoff spots.
Who was really competing for a spot that didnt get this year? Atlanta? Who missed out?

GB---Rogers and little else. Never had a chance.

SEA basically lost to the VIKINGS and got clobbered by Carolina when it mattered. Never had a chance. Lucky to get in playoffs in the first place, if the NFC had better teams. Seattle basically beats up on bad teams to make them look better than they are.

KC---Alex Smith. He's gonna win a SB?

It's hilarious when all these fans of NFL teams think they have a shot in week 1. They really dont.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:27 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post

And as far as the YANKEES, they've never sucked as bad as the Lakers currently do. Fact.
Uhh yes they have. It was probably before your grandpa was born, but they certainly have. Unless you consider winning 32% of your games as "good". LOL!!!!!!!

Hell the last time the cubs won the world series the Yankees won a whopping 51 games. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-29-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Since we're GOING TO PLAY THE ALL CAPS GAME, why do you keep dismissing the mediocrity of the NBA? The NFL might have, at best, one or two 9-7 playoff teams in any given year. 8-8 and below really are flukes, as I've proven. The NBA LITERALLY has 3-4 bad teams make it every year. No exception. The way the game of basketball is currently structured, it's much easier for teams to be elite and remain elite. That's not parity, and that's not good competition.

And as far as the YANKEES, they've never sucked as bad as the Lakers currently do. Fact. Since you'll keep ignoring the playoff difficulty of baseball to make your self feel better, I'll just keep pointing out that THE LAKERS IN LOS ANGELES HAVE A LOSING RECORD IN THE FINALS SINCE 1960. Yankees > Lakers in every objective way when it comes to championships. NYC > LA in sports. Give it up and tout your weather or something.
Sorry. Not convinced.

Lakers never had 10 and 14 year playoff droughts. That must've been miserable. Like I said, isn't that when George S was firing his managers?

Old 01-29-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Uhh yes they have. It was probably before your grandpa was born, but they certainly have. Unless you consider winning 32% of your games as "good". LOL!!!!!!!

Hell the last time the cubs won the world series the Yankees won a whopping 51 games. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was talking modern era, but fine, you got me. Yay. Doesn't change the fact that the Lakers can't even hold the Celtics' jockstrap, much less the Yankees'.

Quote:
Sorry. Not convinced.

Lakers never had 10 and 14 year playoff droughts. That must've been miserable. Like I said, isn't that when George S was firing his managers?
11 Finals victories in 26 tries while in Los Angeles. 27 World Series wins in 40 tries while in New York City. No comparison. Try to spin playoff appearances and time eras all you want, but fact is, the Yankees are the much more successful team in getting to and winning championship games, where it ultimately matters. The Yankees are also worth more than the Lakers, despite being "less popular." The Lakers haven't even surpassed Boston in their own league in championships! The terrible ass Knicks are worth more!

The only thing miserable here is debating with delusional L.A. posters. Y'all are like San Francisco posters when it comes to sports. But this! But that! That doesn't count! Lol, know your place and respect it. You guys are number 4 in this country. Rep your city, and dispel stereotypes, but don't cross that line into La La Land lol.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:04 PM

I always said theyve consistently been the mosy successful since 1960, when they came to la, which is true.
You never proved otherwise.

So in the modem age, they're the best. Which is why they're the most popular.

You're the one making excuses for Yankees droughts "it doesn't count because it's so much harder for MLB waaah waah"

"Social media doesn't count, it's younger people ".

You're one to talk buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City