Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Metro Atlanta 107 32.82%
Metro DC 219 67.18%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 12:58 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,446 times

Advertisements

I prefer DC. I really don't think that they are very similar at all. That's why it's tough to compare. I like the East Coast vibe in DC. Very cosmopolitan with great public transit. It's very fast paced and has so much going on.

Atlanta is great, but not the same as DC. It's a completely different city. That's why you can't really compare them. I prefer DC, but others will prefer the way Atlanta is. There's nothing wrong with that. Not everyone likes the same things.

Also, there's a ton of talk about Georgetown and Buckhead. Those are two small neighborhoods. There are a TON of other neighborhoods in both cities. I like Georgetown, but it's not because of the shopping. I just really like the looks of everything. The first time that I visited I wandered away from the shops pretty quickly so that I could see the row houses. If I wanted to see those other stores that weren't in Georgetown then I would just go somewhere else, like Tysons Corner.

DC doesn't have skyscrapers, but you don't have to travel too far to get them. There aren't many cities that have suburbs filled with them. Tysons Corner, Rosslyn, and Bethesda all have skyscrapers. The suburbs surrounding DC don't sprawl too much until you get further out. Many around the city are very urban.

Like I said, Atlanta is a nice city. But I prefer DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 01:11 PM

341 posts, read 1,337,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
"Hoods" can be historic in terms of housing stock and culture.

IMO, I really don't think Buckhead and Georgetown are comparable, they are apples and oranges, totally different.

I really don't think there is an equivalent to G'town in ATL, mainly because much of ATL is newer than DC.

The closest equivalent to Buckhead in DC would be the Wisconsin Ave corridor in Maryland from the Beltway on down to the DC Line which goes through Bethesda and Friendship Hghts. Skyscrapers, upscale shopping, restaurants, etc., it reminds me quite a bit of Buckhead whenever I go up there. A lot of the skyscrapers in Buckhead didn't start popping up until the late 70's/early 80's, and into the 90's. I guess another comparable area would be the Uptown/Galleria area of Houston.

And what consists of better shopping and dining is so subjective. Some people like Neiman-Marcus, others like independent boutiques. YMMV.

^^^^
Yeah H&M, Deisel, Urban Outfitters and the GAP are independent boutiques . The couple of independent boutiques that are in Georgetown are nothing to write home about either, the only one I like even is Solbiato (whats good Naveen?) and even in there the entire front two thirds of the store sells stuff like Prada and Gucci shoes, stuff that you can buy at any upscale dept. store. And then in the last little corner of the store they sell the clothes that they make. As far as food if you consider Uno's Pizzeria upscale dining then you need to get out more. Uno's is a chain restaurant first off, and second its not even real Deep Dish Pizza! But your right its all subjective!!!

Old 02-11-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Crazy,

No doubt Chicago is a dangerous town in certain parts just like DC. The five years, I roomed with him, he schooled me to the Chi just like I schooled him about the east coast. Plus I been to Chicago over 100 times. Chicago is very different because of the gang culture which he luckily avoided. DC is also unique because you do not know if the dude in the Northface is going to rob you or give you some dap! (No gang affiliations). Let's keep the topic on Atlanta and DC and not get into what neighborhoods are tough. We would sound ridiculous.

As for Atlanta, I think it's a great place. It all depends on what you are looking for in a city.

Dude you already know, and it may not look like it from all the back and forth, but I LOVE DC. I try to make trips up there whenever I can. I have a few lady friends in DC, and I have some homeboys in DC in Sursum Corda, Cap Heights, Trinidad, and out in Ft. Washington in PG County. We can agree to disagree, but in closing I see you got love for both of my cities, and just know that I got love for yours!!!!!!!!

Old 02-11-2009, 01:28 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,250,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
^^^^
Yeah H&M, Deisel, Urban Outfitters and the GAP are independent boutiques . The couple of independent boutiques that are in Georgetown are nothing to write home about either, the only one I like even is Solbiato (whats good Naveen?) and even in there the entire front two thirds of the store sells stuff like Prada and Gucci shoes, stuff that you can buy at any upscale dept. store. And then in the last little corner of the store they sell the clothes that they make. As far as food if you consider Uno's Pizzeria upscale dining then you need to get out more. Uno's is a chain restaurant first off, and second its not even real Deep Dish Pizza! But your right its all subjective!!!
No need to get all defensive with me, I'm just stating my opinion. It's pretty obvious that you know Georgetown very well and it doesn't seem to be good enough for you. That's fine. Everyone has their preferences.

While you're trying to condescend and belittle what I said, I never said anything about chain restaurants such as Uno's Pizzeria being "upscale."

Besides, it's not as if Buckhead doesn't have its share of chain restaurants anyhow. That Cheesecake Factory on Peachtree is consistently crowded, and Cheesecake Factory is hardly what I'd call "upscale". When I said YMMV, some people prefer some things, some people prefer others, who cares?

If you understood any sort of reading comprehension, you would've noticed in my post that I said in my opinion, Georgetown and Buckhead are more different than they are alike, it is an apples-and-oranges comparison.

I refuse to turn this into some sort of childish p***sing contest like you seem to want to, so you have your preferences and I have mine, and we'll just leave it at that.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
No need to get all defensive with me, I'm just stating my opinion. It's pretty obvious that you know Georgetown very well and it doesn't seem to be good enough for you. That's fine. Everyone has their preferences.

While you're trying to condescend and belittle what I said, I never said anything about chain restaurants such as Uno's Pizzeria being "upscale."

Besides, it's not as if Buckhead doesn't have its share of chain restaurants anyhow. That Cheesecake Factory on Peachtree is consistently crowded, and Cheesecake Factory is hardly what I'd call "upscale". When I said YMMV, some people prefer some things, some people prefer others, who cares?

If you understood any sort of reading comprehension, you would've noticed in my post that I said in my opinion, Georgetown and Buckhead are more different than they are alike, it is an apples-and-oranges comparison.

I refuse to turn this into some sort of childish p***sing contest like you seem to want to, so you have your preferences and I have mine, and we'll just leave it at that.

Your right the Cheesecake Factory is very cheesy (pun intended), but you have Chops Steak House, Seasons 52, Nava, all on the same block. So if someone chooses to go to Cheesecake over the others thats on them! But Im done with this anyway, I got nothing but love for the District.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:23 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
One thing you have to give ATL credit for is progressive leadership. DC is supposed to be a major metro area, since it's the nation's capital. Had it not been for aggressive, visionary leadership, Atlanta would have just been another Augusta.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:24 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,695,258 times
DC overall has a better location. Centrally located on the East Coast with easy access to the North and East and South , within a 10 hour radius. When you get down to it, Atlanta is too far South and West to really be close to anything. But then again, some people prefer it that way.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:27 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Its the Truth just except it
Haha, the truth?! And coming from you?! Now I know its false.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:44 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
DC overall has a better location. Centrally located on the East Coast with easy access to the North and East and South , within a 10 hour radius. When you get down to it, Atlanta is too far South and West to really be close to anything. But then again, some people prefer it that way.

Atlanta is more closer to The beaches in FLorida and the Mountains Thats a plus for me especially Me being from Miami

Old 02-11-2009, 02:47 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Haha, the truth?! And coming from you?! Now I know its false.

Its The Truth just except it Its the truth just except its the Thruth just except it Its The Truth just except it Its The Truth just except it Its The Truth just except it Its The Truth just except it Its The Truth just except it Its The Truth just except it Its The Truth just except it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City