Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Metro Atlanta 107 32.82%
Metro DC 219 67.18%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:54 PM

341 posts, read 1,337,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I have nothing but love for the ATL, but DC is on another platform. First, DC is an international city. The make up DC is much more urban than Atlanta. DC's DT is like three times the size of Atlanta's, plus there is so much more to see and do in DC on any given day. There is no comparison walking along the National Mall in between the Linclon Memorial, The Monument and the Capitol. Can you really compare Buckhead and Midtown to Georgetown and Dupont Circle? Atlanta is a nice city but there aren't many similarities to me. Tysons Corner has more office space than Atlanta and that is a DC suburb. Someone mentioned that Pentagon City, Bethesda and Silver Spring are not urban. Show me some urban suburbs in Atlanta where you don't need a car? DC also has more upscale clubs and lounges catering to an international crowd. I hear people tout Atlanta as the black mecca but how can you call it that when blacks in the DC area are more prosperous and have more education and career opportunity?

Yeah dude I feel most of what you saying, but how you figure that blacks are more prosperous and have more career opportunity in DC, than in Atlanta? First off the COL is higher in DC than in Atlanta, so of course the wages will be higher also. And blacks probably have more career opportunities in terms of working for someone else for the rest if their lives either with the govt. or some company. But as far as being an entrepreneur and doing your own thing, DC's not even in the same ballpark. Its just a trade off, just depends on your preference. And there are more similarities between DC and ATL than you realize dude. Like PG County and Dekalb County look alike and have almost the same demographics, and both have some parts that aren't safe. And the lounges in DC are not that much better than the ones in Atlanta, not enough to cancel out the clubs in Atlanta which are allot better then the ones in DC. And yes DC is much more walk able than Atlanta, but Atlanta is a car city. People love their cars here, and I dont really think most people here want the city to be walk able. LOL And your acting like Georgetown is SOHO or something, I see just as many gay dudes, Asians teenagers, college kids, and buppies here in Buckhead, LP5, Midtown, or Atlantic Station as I do when I go to Georgetown. Retail wise Georgetown isnt all that anyway compared to Buckhead, H&M, Urban Outfitters, Ralph Lauren, wow big deal. Buckhead has all that and more. And food wise, c’mon dude, aside from the few dimly lit bars I looked into the best Georgetown had to offer was an UNO Pizzeria and that’s everywhere, I don’t care how old or trendy the area is, the variety of choices in Buckhead is waaaay more than Georgetown. DC as a whole may be more Cosmo than Atlanta, but Georgetown over Atlanta? c’mon dude. However I dig Solbiato, thats one thing Georgetown has that Buckhead doesnt,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 07:24 AM

367 posts, read 1,285,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
Yeah dude I feel most of what you saying, but how you figure that blacks are more prosperous and have more career opportunity in DC, than in Atlanta? First off the COL is higher in DC than in Atlanta, so of course the wages will be higher also. And blacks probably have more career opportunities in terms of working for someone else for the rest if their lives either with the govt. or some company. But as far as being an entrepreneur and doing your own thing, DC's not even in the same ballpark. Its just a trade off, just depends on your preference. And there are more similarities between DC and ATL than you realize dude. Like PG County and Dekalb County look alike and have almost the same demographics, and both have some parts that aren't safe. And the lounges in DC are not that much better than the ones in Atlanta, not enough to cancel out the clubs in Atlanta which are allot better then the ones in DC. And yes DC is much more walk able than Atlanta, but Atlanta is a car city. People love their cars here, and I dont really think most people here want the city to be walk able. LOL And your acting like Georgetown is SOHO or something, I see just as many gay dudes, Asians teenagers, college kids, and buppies here in Buckhead, LP5, Midtown, or Atlantic Station as I do when I go to Georgetown. Retail wise Georgetown isnt all that anyway compared to Buckhead, H&M, Urban Outfitters, Ralph Lauren, wow big deal. Buckhead has all that and more. And food wise, c’mon dude, aside from the few dimly lit bars I looked into the best Georgetown had to offer was an UNO Pizzeria and that’s everywhere, I don’t care how old or trendy the area is, the variety of choices in Buckhead is waaaay more than Georgetown. DC as a whole may be more Cosmo than Atlanta, but Georgetown over Atlanta? c’mon dude. However I dig Solbiato, thats one thing Georgetown has that Buckhead doesnt,
Well dude I think DC's finest didn't mean just Georgetown, I think he's talking about DC in general - so yes Georgetown, but also Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan, U Street Corridor, Chinatown, and so on... You know what I mean dude?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:28 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
heh. Try telling that to the DC residents on the DC board. I think the city is great. The people though is what drives people crazy. Probably because it is very transient and it's a workaholic city.
Are you talking about the whole "Best metro area" comment or that "middle/center" comment that I made? If they have a problem with that...well, I can' help them, it was actually me giving a compliment. I guess that would say something about some of the residents if they took it the wrong way. I'm used to transient cities so that area wouldn't bother me. Can't wait to move to Chicago, right?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:38 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I have nothing but love for the ATL, but DC is on another platform. First, DC is an international city. The make up DC is much more urban than Atlanta. DC's DT is like three times the size of Atlanta's, plus there is so much more to see and do in DC on any given day. There is no comparison walking along the National Mall in between the Linclon Memorial, The Monument and the Capitol. Can you really compare Buckhead and Midtown to Georgetown and Dupont Circle? Atlanta is a nice city but there aren't many similarities to me. Tysons Corner has more office space than Atlanta and that is a DC suburb. Someone mentioned that Pentagon City, Bethesda and Silver Spring are not urban. Show me some urban suburbs in Atlanta where you don't need a car? DC also has more upscale clubs and lounges catering to an international crowd. I hear people tout Atlanta as the black mecca but how can you call it that when blacks in the DC area are more prosperous and have more education and career opportunity?

DC is not no 3 times the size of Atlanta they are almost the same size BUckhead is one of the most Imfluential areas in America,Buckhead is also an internationally renowned shopping district with more than 1,400 retail units where shoppers spend more than $1 billion a year Both areas of georgetown and buckhead are really nice Georgetown just has more history . I dont know where you are getting your facts but you are a lil off in some areas.

DC
Population (2008)[1][2] - City591,833 - Density9,639.0/sq mi (3,722.2/km2) - Metro5.3 million

Atlanta

Population (2007) - City519,145 - Density3,921/sq mi (1,514/km2) - Urban3,499,840 - Urban Density1,783/sq mi (688/km2) - Metro5,278,904 - Metro Density630/sq mi (243/km2

Last edited by atlantaATL; 02-10-2009 at 08:56 AM..

Old 02-10-2009, 09:01 AM

367 posts, read 1,285,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
DC is not no 3 times the size of Atlanta they are almost the same size BUckhead is one of the most Imfluential areas in America,Buckhead is also an internationally renowned shopping district with more than 1,400 retail units where shoppers spend more than $1 billion a year Both areas of georgetown and buckhead are really nice Georgetown just has more history . I dont know where you are getting your facts but you are a lil off in some areas.

DC
Population (2008)[1][2] - City591,833 - Density9,639.0/sq mi (3,722.2/km2) - Metro5.3 million

Atlanta

Population (2007) - City519,145 - Density3,921/sq mi (1,514/km2) - Urban3,499,840 - Urban Density1,783/sq mi (688/km2) - Metro5,278,904 - Metro Density630/sq mi (243/km2
He was referring to the size of the two downtowns. Downtown DC is at least 3 times bigger than downtown Atlanta. As he also said, a DC suburb known as Tysons Corner, it's downtown is bigger than downtown Atlanta.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
He was referring to the size of the two downtowns. Downtown DC is at least 3 times bigger than downtown Atlanta. As he also said, a DC suburb known as Tysons Corner, it's downtown is bigger than downtown Atlanta.
oh ok i see now I thought he was talking about as a whole. If only midtown and downtown were one

Old 02-10-2009, 10:50 AM

51 posts, read 140,743 times
Quote:
Bigger in what sense? Here are some numbers, but I couldn't find them all for each one:

Downtown Atlanta
Area - 4 sq.mi.
Population - 30,000
Office Space - 17 million sq.ft.
Hotel Rooms - 12,000
Daytime Population - 140,000

Downtown D.C.
Area - ?
Population - 10,000
Office Space - 19 million sq.ft.
Hotel Rooms - ?
Daytime Population - ?

Tysons Corner
Area - 4.6 sq.mi.
Population - 20,000
Office Space - 18 million sq.ft.
Hotel Rooms - ?
Daytime Population - 100,000

We should actually compare Tysons Corner and Perimeter Center, which has 24 million sq.ft. of office space and a daytime population of 100,000.

Last edited by FizEdCoach; 02-10-2009 at 10:58 AM..

Old 02-10-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizEdCoach View Post
Bigger in what sense? Here are some numbers, but I couldn't find them all for each one:

Downtown Atlanta
Area - 4 sq.mi.
Population - 30,000
Office Space - 17 million sq.ft.
Hotel Rooms - 12,000
Daytime Population - 140,000

Downtown D.C.
Area - ?
Population - 10,000
Office Space - 19 million sq.ft.
Hotel Rooms - ?
Daytime Population - ?

Tysons Corner
Area - 4.6 sq.mi.
Population - 20,000
Office Space - 18 million sq.ft.
Hotel Rooms - ?
Daytime Population - 100,000

We should actually compare Tysons Corner and Perimeter Center
Perimeter Centerm, which has 24 million sq.ft. of office space and a daytime population of 100,000.

Yes periemter center is way Bigger than tysons corner and here is a lil fact abotu daytime pop between Atlanta and DC
The second highest numeric daytime increase is in Washington, D.C., where 410,000 workers boost the capital’s population by 72 percent during normal business hours.

Other big cities with large daytime gains are Atlanta (62 percent), Tampa (48 percent) and Pittsburgh and Boston (both around 41 percent).

Last edited by atlantaATL; 02-10-2009 at 11:36 AM..

Old 02-10-2009, 11:38 AM

341 posts, read 1,337,964 times
Quote:
Well dude I think DC's finest didn't mean just Georgetown, I think he's talking about DC in general - so yes Georgetown, but also Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan, U Street Corridor, Chinatown, and so on... You know what I mean dude?

^^^
And thats what Im saying, Atlanta has Little 5 Points, East Atlanta, Atlantic Station, Midtown. Yeah DC as a whole is more cosmopolitan than Atlanta, but yall acting like these places are so much more trendy than anything that you would see in Atlanta. Like you all are holding up Georgeton saying nothing in Atlanta can compare and Im like Lenox Square and Phipps PLaze alone have waaaaaaaaay more upscale stores than Georgetown. The best thing Georgetown has is a H&M and a POLO store, wow whoopty do!

Old 02-10-2009, 12:17 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Are you talking about the whole "Best metro area" comment or that "middle/center" comment that I made? If they have a problem with that...well, I can' help them, it was actually me giving a compliment. I guess that would say something about some of the residents if they took it the wrong way. I'm used to transient cities so that area wouldn't bother me. Can't wait to move to Chicago, right?
Best metro area. There was a long thread titled "so sick of the DC area" on the board a few months ago. A very long thread at that. But yeah. I would love to finish my degree in Chicago. But wouldn't mind finishing it in New York or even here in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City