Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major Sunbelt city do you like the best??
Atlanta 36 21.30%
Austin 19 11.24%
Charlotte 14 8.28%
Dallas 21 12.43%
El Paso 7 4.14%
Houston 29 17.16%
Jacksonville 9 5.33%
Las Vegas 10 5.92%
Los Angeles 45 26.63%
Memphis 6 3.55%
Miami 23 13.61%
New Orleans 24 14.20%
Pheonix 9 5.33%
San Francisco 39 23.08%
San Diego 30 17.75%
San Antonio 15 8.88%
San Jose 5 2.96%
Tampa 15 8.88%
Tuscon 12 7.10%
Virginia Beach 11 6.51%
Other 15 8.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:23 AM

51 posts, read 140,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Because when you look at what the definition of a sunbelt city is, New Orleans does not match the definition. It's like calling Chicago a rust belt city even though there is a little rust but it's still a very prosperous growing dynamic city in the middle of the rust belt region. New Orleans just simply is in the same region. But when you look at the definition as this:

only thing that New Orleans has is a warm climate. That's it. Rapid economic growth? Nah. Rapid population growth? Nah. Political conservatism? Nah. This is not what people think of when you think of New Orleans. The same reason why people are saying that San Francisco is not a sunbelt city in which I agree with that as well.

That definition referred to "states" in the South and Southwest, not cities. New Orleans, with its decline in population and economic woes, is located in a Sun Belt state...therefore its a Sun Belt city. It doesn't have to be exactly like other Sun Belt cities in every way - its location is its location...period.

And...which city IS politically conservative? None of them that I can think of - again, that definition was for states, not cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 11:24 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizEdCoach View Post
That definition referred to "states" in the South and Southwest, not cities. New Orleans, with its decline in population and economic woes, is located in a Sun Belt state...therefore its a Sun Belt city. It doesn't have to be exactly like other Sun Belt cities in every way - its location is its location...period.

And...which city IS politically conservative? None of them that I can think of - again, that definition was for states, not cities.
I'm sorry. But it refers to the cities or metro areas in those "states" and Louisiana is not seen as a sunbelt state anyway. It does not have a growing economy nor does it have a growing population. And there are plenty of cities that are conservative such as Jacksonville, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, and up until recently, Phoenix. Even Houston and Dallas were considered conservative up until the past few years. Just by putting it to states makes it too broad.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:08 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Maybe hate is a strong word. Charlotte is just too new to me. It doesnt feel historic. I like ambiance. Everything in Charlotte seems plastic to me. And you have to drive almost everywhere. Nobody lives downtown

Same goes for Atlanta.
People live in downtown (uptown) Charlotte.

Charlotte doesn't "feel" historic because it's not all that historic. Even if the historic structures that were razed in the name of "progress" (which were too many) were still standing, it still wouldn't feel historic a la Charleston or New Orleans. Charlotte's built environment reflects the fact that most of its growth is relatively new. It didn't experience major growth in the 19th century like Richmond did. As much as I like older urban environments, I like the fact that Charlotte isn't resting on its historic status, on what it used to be "back in the day." It's progressing now, and that makes for quite a dynamic, exciting city in its own right. I like seeing the city "grow up" right before my eyes.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:16 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
I LOVED LA!!!

I don't know if I would consider San Francisco as part of the Sunbelt though.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:34 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,166,730 times
Tucson has a lot of character. Feels like a real place.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:40 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,887,169 times
San Francisco and LA are not really built like newer sunbelt cities. San Fran looks European and is built in the way older cities were built. LA was built as a streetcar city and therefore is built more dense than newer sunbelt cities.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:17 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
It killed me to vote for my hometown since it was spelled wrong.

Nonetheless, why is SF in this poll? Or possibly Memphis, Charlotte, Virginia Beach?? Never heard of those being in the sunbelt...

Old 11-25-2013, 05:41 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
It killed me to vote for my hometown since it was spelled wrong.

Nonetheless, why is SF in this poll? Or possibly Memphis, Charlotte, Virginia Beach?? Never heard of those being in the sunbelt...
SF actually is at the northern edge of the Sunbelt. Charlotte and Memphis are too. I think VB is just outside the region though.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:33 PM

367 posts, read 996,946 times
Once again there's no Nashville. (clearly a sunbelt city)
Whats up with all this Anti Nashville BIASNESS roun here
There's no Nashville I'm not voting

I Boycott this Poll!!!

Last edited by SteveTime; 11-25-2013 at 06:49 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 06:44 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
Once again there's no Nashville
Whats up with all this Anti Nashville BIASNESS roun here
There's no Nashville (clearly a sun belt city) I'm not voting

I Boycott this Poll!!!
Calm down. There's no anti-Nashville bias going on; clearly it was just omitted. The world doesn't revolve around your city, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City