Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 02:15 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
With Chicago's 70,000 annual jobs lost, the comparison is silly.

NYC has a growing economy, with below-average unemployment.

Chicago has a shrinking economy, well-above average unemployment, and the worst economy in the nation, by far.
Check the posts that say the opposite of what you said and check their references.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 02:24 PM

758 posts, read 1,961,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Check the posts that say the opposite of what you said and check their references.
No, you need to check my posts that show official federal jobs data.

The federal jobs data shows that Chicago has the worst economy in the nation, and lost nearly 70,000 jobs during the past 12 months.

Please argue with the federal government, not me.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:20 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Ohio248, you should check back to see how many times you've posted this same information. Maybe a record for repeating the same thing over and over and over again. Life in Ohio can't be that boring.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:44 PM

59 posts, read 56,616 times
Quote:
No, you need to check my posts that show official federal jobs data.

The federal jobs data shows that Chicago has the worst economy in the nation, and lost nearly 70,000 jobs during the past 12 months.

Please argue with the federal government, not me.
I think you have made your point.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:12 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Chicago is certainly not the worst economy but it has lost the most priv sector jobs YTD in the U.S.

Check out the civilian labor force #'s.

"official" unemployment was 10.7 in april, but 9.7 in August...

But, the Labor Force shrunk from 4,125,500 to 4,084,100.

Those people either aren't counted and the unemployment rate is even higher, OR 41000 people left the metropolitan area entirely in 5 months. Not trying to add fuel to the fire but Chicago is definitely not doing well.

Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, IL Economy at a Glance

It is much diff being back here now than just a few years ago for sure. I have been in it, out of it, and back in it. So I probably just notice the change more. In case people don't recall unemployment in Chicago was 3.6% in Oct 2006 and one of the best cities in the U.S. for jobs, I should know I was making good money and had all the work I could possibly want to do. Huge change now, I reply to ads all day and get absolutely NADA.

Again though, there are SEVERAL worse economies than Chicago.

Last edited by grapico; 11-16-2010 at 12:20 AM..

Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
haven't read the whole thread so not sure if anyone pointed out one big difference between the two is the number of hotel rooms.

Despite a recent mini-boom in Brooklyn, the number of hotel rooms is only 3000. Downtown Chicago alone has over 30,000 rooms.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:21 PM

96 posts, read 192,880 times
I am not really up on all of the political stuff here on these threads so not to fight with anyone it is kind of over my head. But more to the point i think who ever started this whole thread on new york and chicago economy i would have to say new york is maybe somewhat right now doing a little bit if not alot better in terms of financial. But still in terms of money and financial we seem to think new york has all of the pull and tug on that because of the stock market and everything but when you open up forbes magazine and see like fifteen of the riches people including oprah in chicago as it shows in all of the collunms every year it kind of shows some muscle to the city. In also my uncle who lives in wicker park who i just not more than five months ago showed me an article when i went to visit him to see my aunt in the sun times stating that in economics in the surrouding areas of chicago in illinois it is not doing all that bad compared to many other cities in the midwest and all of the united states in i could be wrong not to get into some battle with anyone who knows more than i do on this stuff which many do. Just by itself los angleas and some other cities across the country are dying. In so many words i dont see why people seem to think new york is a city bullet proof from having money issues that kind of throws me for a loop can someone please explain that to me.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:25 PM

758 posts, read 1,961,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud17 View Post
I am not really up on all of the political stuff here on these threads so not to fight with anyone it is kind of over my head. But more to the point i think who ever started this whole thread on new york and chicago economy i would have to say new york is maybe somewhat right now doing a little bit if not alot better in terms of financial. But still in terms of money and financial we seem to think new york has all of the pull and tug on that because of the stock market and everything but when you open up forbes magazine and see like fifteen of the riches people including oprah in chicago as it shows in all of the collunms every year it kind of shows some muscle to the city.
Um, Oprah lives in Montecito, CA. She doesn't live in Chicago.

And she's shutting down her Chicago show, because she doesn't like the city and all its problems. She prefers the East and West Coasts.

She owns a home in CA, and is buying one near NYC. Her new network will be based in CA, with additional studios in NYC. She will have nothing to do with Chicago.

And if you are going by Forbes wealthiest, Chicago is only #5 in the country, barely ahead of Miami and Boston.

Metros with most wealthy:

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Bay Area
4. DC
5. Chicago

Old 11-18-2010, 09:35 PM

301 posts, read 639,983 times
Quote:
1. NYC
2. LA
3. Bay Area
4. DC
5. Chicago
Billionaires
NY 77
Bay Area 44
L.A 35
Dallas 26
Chicago 20
Miami 19
DC 13
Houston 13
Vegas 8

FTR production studios and film studios are leaving L.A for NY, Austin, ABQ, Detroit, etc

Old 11-18-2010, 10:06 PM

96 posts, read 192,880 times
Ok well see there you corrected me on stuff i did not know and thank you for it. But midwest east coast and whare ever i still think the economy has effected alot of places and new york is one of theme. In second you are probably right on the subject of forbes magazine chicago might be last and that is just the world i guess but still for a midwest city and being the third largest it still pulls its waite like alot of people dont think is does i mean if you look at some of the families and just on the wealth aspect of all of it i myself was blown away to peaces by some of these peoples fortunes in a city which no soul talks about it seems to be like new york or los angelas anymore. Also you said oprah lives in california if so thene why does it show on about ten different sites and also wilkipedia that her show for as long as it has been running on air is based in chicago and she has told many reporters and even the sun times that she holds nothing but respect for the city but according to the internet there is really realistically no word on where her new show is going to be east or west or midwest and more sources have stated she will be moving permantly to the los angleas area away from chicago which she has called home for over 30 to 25 years. It only sais on many celebrity sites she is looking for realstate in and around new york but all i was seing was new jersey whare she flew in on her jet to look at a house so yes for new york you are right but also there is nothing what so ever to confirm she has any involvment in new york city for any of her studio setting shows which is just the oprah show at harpos studio in chicago i have seen the building myself. In if you read most of the threads on her she speaks so greatly and highly of chicago as if she was more or less born there but was not she is sad as hell to leave i dont think the city is getting to her i really do not both of uss have never met oprah face to face and asked her this and publicity lies like we all know. Even on press junkets lately she has stated almost in tears of how sad it is to leave and i am assuming she still has her huge squar foot manchion there that i also saw on the oprah tour which is very interesting if you are in chicago.

Last edited by rosebud17; 11-18-2010 at 10:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City