Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 03:31 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,717 times

Advertisements

And if Chicago fails, Brooklyn (the original topics comparison) is totally screwed, timewarp back to the 1970's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami11 View Post
If New York wont be able to hold it spot than Chicago will simply slip into obscurity....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 03:36 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
And if Chicago fails, Brooklyn (the original topics comparison) is totally screwed, timewarp back to the 1970's.
No, that doesn't make sense. Chicago is much more dependent on NYC than Brooklyn is dependent on Chicago.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:37 PM

107 posts, read 125,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Just as people in Japan don't see NY being greater than Tokyo while everyone is biased.
I assume that since you are a self-proclaimed urbanologist, you are fully aware of the fact that New York is usually placed ahead of Tokyo in influential city rankings, arent you? Bias or no bias thats the objective reality.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:38 PM

That's not what I meant. If NYC suffers, Brooklyn will suffer more than Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
No, that doesn't make sense. Chicago is much more dependent on NYC than Brooklyn is dependent on Chicago.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
That's not what I meant. If NYC suffers, Brooklyn will suffer more than Manhattan.
What? Why?

Old 08-11-2011, 03:47 PM

Its just a guess, OK?

Mostly because people move to Brooklyn looking for relative affordability. Quite a few Manhattanites live there because they can afford to, and the rest are in rent controlled apartments. Like I said just my opinion but it seems it's the middle class and the poor that suffer the most when the economy declines. Pure conjecture, I admit it!
]

Quote:
What? Why?

Old 08-11-2011, 03:48 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,930 times
Quote:
LOL, what about the pound then? It already lost like half of its value. I remember when 1 pound was over 2 dollars, now its like 1.6. If the dollar crashes... we will just reach parity. You make it sound like US is the only country who is in trouble. EU and Japan are in much more trouble than us.

Also, Tokyo (and Japan in general) is pretty much maxed out in terms of population and NYC adds much more people every year compared to Tokyo. Tokyo used to be considered super-dense, now New York is overtaking Tokyo in density as well.
Well, that was in the past. You see I use to live in Japan. The average yen to the dollar was around 120 Yen. Right now for every 1 US dollar you only can get 0.76 Yen. That is down right pathetic if you ask me. When my girlfriend from England visits she get a whole lot more than the average rate. She gets around a 1.60 US for every pound and when converted back she only get's 0.62. That's an extra 60 cents on every dollar. LOL Come on are you serious? Our buying power over seas suck right now. America is a good bargain for other countries like China to invest in. We had to borrow money from China to pay for the war in Afgahnistan of all things.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:50 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
What? Why?
The poorer areas are the first to go down.

Also CME Group owns the NY Mercantile Exchange and Commodity Exchange, as well as the Dow Jones Financial/Stocks... Who is dependent on who?

Anyway...

Neither really are dependent on each other, they could both hold their own if the country split up.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Well, that was in the past. You see I use to live in Japan. The average yen to the dollar was around 120 Yen. Right now for every 1 US dollar you only can get 0.76 Yen. That is down right pathetic if you ask me.
Thats due to the fact that Japan's yen is in a deflationary spiral and its economy has been stagnant for the past... 20 years now?
Quote:
When my girlfriend from England visits she get a whole lot more than the average rate. She gets around a 1.60 US for every pound and when converted back she only get's 0.62. That's an extra 60 cents on every dollar. LOL Come on are you serious?
Umm hello? Pount used to be 2x the dollar in boom times, it dropped sharply after 2008 crisis and is now only 1.6. That's the whole point, you can only get 1.6 dollars for every pound now. If your girlfriend came here in 2006, she would be able to get 2 dollars for every pound.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:54 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Thats due to the fact that Japan's yen is in a deflationary spiral and its economy has been stagnant for the past... 20 years now?
Umm hello? Pount used to be 2x the dollar in boom times, it dropped sharply after 2008 crisis and is now only 1.6. That's the whole point, you can only get 1.6 dollars for every pound now. If your girlfriend came here in 2006, she would be able to get 2 dollars for every pound.
I also remember the 2:1 L/USD ratio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City