Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 11:50 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times

Advertisements

One thing is quite clear that some New Yorkers have extremely thin skins and react by accusing others of lying just because the impression of their city isn't all nicey nicey. Face it, outside Manhattan the other boroughs don't look very interesting and if that is so offensive than I highly recommend you get out of NYC and take a long look at the rest of the nation. Brooklyn is very old and many of the buildings are uninteresting and plain with miles of brick apartment buildings on streets devoid of any trees; lots of noise and smelly garbage cans. It's urban to the max and shows how old Brooklyn is. That's not to say that all of Brooklyn looks like what I saw because I did briefly also see Brooklyn Hts and Coney Island. But frankly blocks on end looked exactly alike and not very appealing like Manhattan is. So by being truthful it makes me an impostor because some shallow egos are bruised than so be it. Grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 11:57 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
One thing is quite clear that some New Yorkers have extremely thin skins and react by accusing others of lying just because the impression of their city isn't all nicey nicey. Face it, outside Manhattan the other boroughs don't look very interesting and if that is so offensive than I highly recommend you get out of NYC and take a long look at the rest of the nation. Brooklyn is very old and many of the buildings are uninteresting and plain with miles of brick apartment buildings on streets devoid of any trees; lots of noise and smelly garbage cans. It's urban to the max and shows how old Brooklyn is. That's not to say that all of Brooklyn looks like what I saw because I did briefly also see Brooklyn Hts and Coney Island. But frankly blocks on end looked exactly alike and not very appealing like Manhattan is. So by being truthful it makes me an impostor because some shallow egos are bruised than so be it. Grow up.
Grow up? your the one who has to do the growing up. When i read post like these i always ask myself how can someone be so ignorant even after the facts have been put to her/his face. i sent you links of real pics of Brooklyn and queens which debunk all your obnoxious talk. But according to you all of us new yorkers are immature because we are correcting out of towners who have never been to nyc who are giving false info about the city(california sur). You sound like a 5 year old.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:59 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
And also i find it weird that someone from L.A has the nerve to talk about what something looks out of a inner city. As far as i know and learned about l.a isn't l.a a city filled with massive sprawl and no type of real architecture once you leave the inner city of l.a?? But im sure California sur will have plenty to say about this though.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:02 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Right, because gorgeous 19th century brownstones suck and suburban bungalows are awesome, right? :
Well whats wrong with that? I like New York City & I like Chicago. Its up to people to choose what they like and what they don't like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
If only Brooklyn had more strip malls and endless blight, it could on day hope to match Chicago.
You're acting as if Chicago is the poster child to these things. Well its not, yes there's no denying that Chicago has some challenged neighborhoods like any city, but there isn't denying Chicago's urbanity. Personally nothing compared to Brooklyn, but only Manhattan can compare to that in the USA.

I'll see you in the Philadelphia & Chicago thread in just a moment, and I hope you get your textbook ready to refute some of my links. See you there in a few minutes.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:19 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,586 times
Brooklyn no contest. Its in the Northeast and part of a mega city.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:48 PM

36 posts, read 75,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
Brooklyn no contest. Its in the Northeast and part of a mega city.
Here goes the east coast arrogance again. Who cares that its in the northeast? "It's on the east coast son!" "Brooklyn is where it's at kid!" or "I'm from New york son!" You east coast people sound ridiculous because the majority of the country don't talk like that. I used to think the new york slang was fake until i went there and here people saying "yeah son" or "yeah kid" it was hilarious.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:11 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
your obnoxious talk about nyc has been debunked and pics from skyscraper city(since you love pics so much) will show this.

Neighborhoods in queens.

142.) Queens: Douglaston/Douglas Manor, Little Neck, Glen Oaks - SkyscraperCity

127.) Queens: Rego Park, Middle Village, Maspeth - SkyscraperCity

128.) Queens: Glendale, Ridgewood - SkyscraperCity

129.) Queens: Woodhaven, Ozone Park, Richmond Hill - SkyscraperCity

130.) Queens: Howard Beach, Lindenwood, Broad Channel - SkyscraperCity

132.) Queens: South Ozone Park, Brookville, Rosedale - SkyscraperCity

133.) Queens: Cambria Heights, Laurelton, Springfield Gardens, St. Albans - SkyscraperCity

135.) Queens: Forrest Hills, Kew Gardens - SkyscraperCity

BROOKLYN

99.) Brooklyn: Windsor Terrace, Propect Heights, Park Slope (LARGE) - SkyscraperCity

119.) Brooklyn: Cypress Hills/ Highland Park, City-Line - SkyscraperCity

117.) Brooklyn: Brownsville, Remsen Village, Canarsie - SkyscraperCity

116.) Brooklyn: Marine Park, Flatlands, Mill Basin/Island, Georgetown, Bergen Beach - SkyscraperCity

115.) Brooklyn: Flatbush, Farragut, Rugby/ East Flatbush - SkyscraperCity

114.) Brooklyn: Sheepshead Bay, Midwood, Homecrest, Ocean Parkway, Gerritsen Beach - SkyscraperCity

OK California surs obnoxious talk has been debunked so let us all move on now thanks.
Those are nice photos. Some people might look at these places, and those buildings and think to themselves "Wow, so much character, so much prestige, so much LIFE" and others may look at them and think to themselves "They're just bricks". Different strokes, Different Folks. There isn't a right or wrong opinion.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:12 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
What's pretty amazing is that some New Yorkers actually believe or desperately try to believe in the fantasy. Damn, I'd hate to see Chicago if it is anything like Brooklyn! And we know it is not, thank God. Its like comparing Staten Island to Paris or the Bronx to London. Absurd to the point of being delusional. NYC for those who have actually been there is a dynamic and highly stimulating city so long as your restrict your stay in Manhattan. The boroughs are uninteresting and very old suburbs with nothing all that much to offer. Who goes to NYC to see Brooklyn? It's like someone visiting Evanston, Illinois and claiming they saw Chicago. Brooklyn isn't very attractive and those who state otherwise are being outright deceitful and want to masquerade something that is ridiculous or they are totally nuts and have a very limited world-view\ exposure to the nation.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:14 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Any comparison of a major American city to any of the boroughs of New York is totally a laugh. Manhattan is what most people think New York City looks like and should look like. But Brooklyn and all the other boroughs are unremarkable and almost depressingly plain with blocks of very old 10-story tenement buildings, no trees or grass, garbage in the streets and a not very pleasant odor of too many people living too close to each other. The impression is of a eastern European country when they were under communism. Chicago's inner-city neighborhoods probably resemble Brooklyn but I know from photos that Chicago is far superior to anything Brooklyn can offer. Seriously!
I, too, want to chime in with how ridiculously off this post is. Brooklyn's architecture is anything, but plain. There's a huge mix of architectural styles since its an agglomeration of very separate communities before Brooklyn was consolidated as one. There's varied topography and several centuries of various types of build-up. And there are many parts of Brooklyn which are very leafy and green.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:22 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
What's pretty amazing is that some New Yorkers actually believe or desperately try to believe in the fantasy. Damn, I'd hate to see Chicago if it is anything like Brooklyn! And we know it is not, thank God. Its like comparing Staten Island to Paris or the Bronx to London. Absurd to the point of being delusional. NYC for those who have actually been there is a dynamic and highly stimulating city so long as your restrict your stay in Manhattan. The boroughs are uninteresting and very old suburbs with nothing all that much to offer. Who goes to NYC to see Brooklyn? It's like someone visiting Evanston, Illinois and claiming they saw Chicago. Brooklyn isn't very attractive and those who state otherwise are being outright deceitful and want to masquerade something that is ridiculous or they are totally nuts and have a very limited world-view\ exposure to the nation.
Making a comparison between Evanston and Brooklyn is ridiculous though. Brooklyn is a huge entity that's actually well known. It's large and fairly well-represented in media as itself. The gap for name recognition between Brooklyn and Evanston is likely far greater than that between Chicago and Brooklyn. The same can be said about all other facets (diversity, population, attractions, etc.).

Tourists still go to Coney Island. Williamsburg and DUMBO are both big on the art circuit. The Brooklyn Museum is one of the largest museums in the US. Movies are shot and set in Brooklyn. Many artists and musicians make their home in Brooklyn. Brooklyn is visited by tourists--nowhere near as much as Manhattan, but almost nowhere in the world is more visited than Manhattan. You've put yourself in a corner where you're defending a viewpoint that is simply ridiculous and not grounded in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City