Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 08:32 PM

199 posts, read 355,082 times

Advertisements

I don't "hate on" Times Square. I just don't see any reason to go there any more. I liked the Virgin Records Superstore. If I go back to NY this summer, why would I go to Times Square now that it's closed? To "oohh and awww" at advertisements? Sorry, that's not a reason to go there.

Maybe some new unique businesses have opened there that I haven't read about. But barring that, I would see no reason to go there.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:00 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Hollywood, especially around Hollywood/Highland, is a lot like what Times Square used to be like back in the 80's before it was completely Disneyfied. Lots of tourists, lots of hucksters, half-Disney, and half-seedy. It's still probably the closest in feel in the US, but without much of the neon.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:29 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
No, basically some people dislike Times Square because what's there with the exception of the high tech billboards is kind of generic and because there is much more interesting places in New York. Its just like our opinion, man.

Spare me the "What about the poor corporations?" crap... There's no need to feel sorry for anyone raking in billions in business... Although I do feel sympathy for any New Yorkers who have to work at the Bubba Gump Shrimp Factory in Times Square.
give me a break, people have hated it ever SINCE it became an advertising wet dream. they hate the symbol of corporate wealth, wealth they don't have, never will have, and wealth they wish they could tax and hand to the failures.

i don't feel "sorry" for corporations, i just know that hating on the #$#$ing companies who employ millions of people just because their ceos worked their #$$es off and make 100 times what you make is completely retarded. stick your nose in your own business and stay COMPLETELY OUT OF somebody else's business, whether they make $10,000 or $10 million. people make what they earn and obviously you can't understand that. there's a reason why the best hispanic and asian players come to the mlb and why the best russians and other europeans come to the nhl; they'll make a hell of a lot more in america. big rewards are what make america so great.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 05-30-2011 at 09:41 PM..

Old 05-30-2011, 11:13 PM

199 posts, read 355,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
give me a break, people have hated it ever SINCE it became an advertising wet dream. they hate the symbol of corporate wealth, wealth they don't have, never will have, and wealth they wish they could tax and hand to the failures.

i don't feel "sorry" for corporations, i just know that hating on the #$#$ing companies who employ millions of people just because their ceos worked their #$$es off and make 100 times what you make is completely retarded. stick your nose in your own business and stay COMPLETELY OUT OF somebody else's business, whether they make $10,000 or $10 million. people make what they earn and obviously you can't understand that. there's a reason why the best hispanic and asian players come to the mlb and why the best russians and other europeans come to the nhl; they'll make a hell of a lot more in america. big rewards are what make america so great.
Meh. You still haven't given any reason why someone should visit Times Square.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:26 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post

I think you're taking this a little out of proportion. Why is it so hard to believe that many people just don't give a crap about giant Best Buy advertisements and chain restaurants in Times Square? It doesn't have to come down to some big complex socio-economical inferiority complex... Monsanto and Walmart could have their prom there and I could give two s****. I'm just not a fan because I can eat at TGI Friday's in my parents suburban neighborhood if I really wanted to..

PS: I'm very comfortable with the income I currently earn.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Hippy View Post
Meh. You still haven't given any reason why someone should visit Times Square.
because it's times square. that's why you visit it.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I think you're taking this a little out of proportion. Why is it so hard to believe that many people just don't give a crap about giant Best Buy advertisements and chain restaurants in Times Square? It doesn't have to come down to some big complex socio-economical inferiority complex... Monsanto and Walmart could have their prom there and I could give two s****. I'm just not a fan because I can eat at TGI Friday's in my parents suburban neighborhood if I really wanted to..

PS: I'm very comfortable with the income I currently earn.
that's fine if you want to go to new york and have that new york "experience" or whatever but for so many people to hate times square because of some reason beating around the bush that they simply hate corporate ownage is what pisses me off and people do hate times square because of that, i know plenty of those people. there's no place like times square, the place is growing and adds more neon every year.

and i'm glad you're comfortable with your income as long as you vote to keep your nose in your own business/bank account.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:06 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Since this basically just became a discussion about Times Square only....

(sound of door closing)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City