Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 04:30 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times

Advertisements

SA hands down. Charlotte has some nice southeastern areas but overall SA is just in a different league of Cities than Charlotte. Charlotte is much more rural
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 09:51 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio was named in 1691. Founded 1718.

S.A. is pretty old.

From a travel article.

In the course of its colorful history, ownership of San Antonio has been claimed by six different governments. Thus, the city is said to have been "under 6 flags." Rule by France, Spain, Mexico, the Republic of Texas, the Confederate States of America and the United States of America has shaped San Antonio, as each culture has left its mark. Art, architecture, and history intermingle everywhere in this robust southwestern city. With nearly 300 years as a cultural crossroads the city has a colorful past and takes every opportunity to celebrate it! San Antonio is well known as a party going city. Fiestas and festivals abound.

Downtown San Antonio retains an Old World feeling as narrow streets, plazas, and Spanish architecture blend with modern skyscrapers. The city has always been a crossroads and a meeting place. Sounds and flavors of Native America, Old Mexico, Germany, the Wild West, African-America and the Deep South mingle and merge
Charlotte was settled in 1755 by Thomas Polk, uncle of James K. Polk, and was incorporated as the town of Charlotte in 1768. The grid pattern for the town's streets was laid out in 1770... and places like Trade St., Tryon St., and Independence Square were named.

San Antonio is a little older, but not enough to make a big deal about. I believe you stated that "San Antonio is a much older more dense and urbanized city." Not true.

And whoever was trying to say that Charlotte is "rural"...I just have to laugh at that one. Charlotte feels much larger or more urban than San Antonio, which is only my opinion...but notice that it's the opinion of someone who doesn't live in either city. I've visited both and have no allegiance to either. We call that "unbiased".

Old 02-21-2009, 09:57 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Charlotte was settled in 1755 by Thomas Polk, uncle of James K. Polk, and was incorporated as the town of Charlotte in 1768. The grid pattern for the town's streets was laid out in 1770... and places like Trade St., Tryon St., and Independence Square were named.

San Antonio is a little older, but not enough to make a big deal about. I believe you stated that "San Antonio is a much older more dense and urbanized city." Not true.

And whoever was trying to say that Charlotte is "rural"...I just have to laugh at that one. Charlotte feels much larger or more urban than San Antonio, which is only my opinion...but notice that it's the opinion of someone who doesn't live in either city. I've visited both and have no allegiance to either. We call that "unbiased".
You can't even compare these two cities. Charlotte would be considered a "newer" city considering it just recently began growing and it's newly expanding skyline. SA is a historic city and tourist destination where people come from all over the world to visit. SA actually does look more dense compared to Charlotte because it is a lot of open spaces in Charlotte as where in SA it's continuous development.

When you state your being unbiased, I've noticed that people in ATL tend to defend NC cities and people in Texas defend other Texas cities (even Austin).

Old 02-21-2009, 10:08 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You can't even compare these two cities. Charlotte would be considered a "newer" city considering it just recently began growing and it's newly expanding skyline. SA is a historic city and tourist destination where people come from all over the world to visit. SA actually does look more dense compared to Charlotte because it is a lot of open spaces in Charlotte as where in SA it's continuous development.

When you state your being unbiased, I've noticed that people in ATL tend to defend NC cities and people in Texas defend other Texas cities (even Austin).

I guess some do...but I'm an adult and don't have any reason to "defend" any city. Just pointing out some facts about Charlotte being just as old as San Antonio and pointing out that I disagree with the statements made earlier regarding density/urbanity.

Charlotte didn't "just recently begin growing". The city has grown consistently and by large amounts since 1890...it hasn't annexed everything around it until recently - unlike some other cities.
Charlotte Population:

Last edited by DeaconJ; 02-21-2009 at 10:20 AM..

Old 02-21-2009, 10:25 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

I think you mixed up Raleigh and Charlotte in the "new" growth arguement. Charlotte has been huge for quiet some time. Both SA and Charlotte have had skylines since the 1920's btw. If you did not mix them up, well, kudos to your...opinion?

Old 02-21-2009, 10:34 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
it hasn't annexed everything around it until recently
Related to this, something I didn't realize until I just looked but San Antonio is actually considered to be bigger then Dallas. I don't think many people would list San Antonio as a larger city then Dallas though. That is the problem arguing over population as cities annex or redraw their limits.

It is like my friends who live in Kingwood, TX who recently were "annexed" by Houston. It is just my opinion but that just feels pretty far from the city center of Houston. Phoenix likes to do this too, and won't surprise me if Charlotte also does as there are a ton of towns surrounding it (several million).

Also, Charlotte is "considered" to be larger then Atlanta. I don't know if anyone whose been to either city though would agree with that though.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:44 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
SA hands down. Charlotte has some nice southeastern areas but overall SA is just in a different league of Cities than Charlotte.
How is San Antonio in a "different league"? The Charlotte metro has eight F500 companies (and yes, I'm excluding Wachovia since it was just acquired by Wells Fargo); by my count, the San Antonio metro has four (excluding AT&T, which announced its move to Dallas last year). Charlotte's metropolitan GDP is $114.1 billion; San Antonio's is $72.7 billion (coming from the BEA's latest figures for 2006). Charlotte's MSA has 1.65 million people (the CSA has 2.17 million people); San Antonio's has 1.9 million. By all accounts, the two cities are clearly in the same league, with Charlotte actually having an edge in a few categories; so much for "small town, rural, country" Charlotte, huh? From a lot of your previous posts, I know you're a Texas booster for whom stats mean very little, but sometimes you should at least try to do a little research before you start talking out of the side of your neck.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:03 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
How does Charlotte feel more urban or larger than San Antonio? You can't base it on light rail or a few taller buildings.
Do you have pics of the cluster of urban areas outside downtown Charlotte? San Antonio has multiple skylines.

San Antonio is joined at the hip by Austin economically. The higher population growth and concentration of population is along the five adjacent counties along I-35 Austin-San Antonio corridor(South-Central Texas), which include the cities of San Antonio, Cibolo, Schertz, Live Oak, Universal City, New Braunfels, San Marcos, Kyle, Austin, Round Rock.
These cities pretty much have merged or not long before they do. By saying this, the GDP for the five county area where the center of population and growth in South -Central Texas, the GDP would be double. GDP doesn't give the total accurate picture of this area. But for now, they are not a CSA, i'ts just a matter of time.

Charlotte more dense and urbanized?

Mcklenburg County 527 square miles 827,380 people. Counting 527 square miles of San Antonio would be not far from double the Mcklenburg total.
San Antonio city 333(408 including rural annexed) 1,328,954

Metro S.A. 2,040,356
Bexar County 1.6 million

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 02-21-2009 at 01:49 PM..

Old 02-21-2009, 01:20 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Related to this, something I didn't realize until I just looked but San Antonio is actually considered to be bigger then Dallas. I don't think many people would list San Antonio as a larger city then Dallas though. That is the problem arguing over population as cities annex or redraw their limits.

It is like my friends who live in Kingwood, TX who recently were "annexed" by Houston. It is just my opinion but that just feels pretty far from the city center of Houston. Phoenix likes to do this too, and won't surprise me if Charlotte also does as there are a ton of towns surrounding it (several million).

Also, Charlotte is "considered" to be larger then Atlanta. I don't know if anyone whose been to either city though would agree with that though.

San Antonio and Dallas city limits are roughly the same size in square miles, San Antonio having nearly 100,000 more people. San Antonio a little more dense but for sure a lot smaller compared to DFW metro. Whats with the city limits mention? No one brought it up as a comparison. Just wonderng.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 02-21-2009 at 01:42 PM..

Old 02-21-2009, 01:41 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
they are quite comparable. Charlottes skyline is a little newer. And growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City