Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
New York City suburbs 57 49.14%
Chicagoland 59 50.86%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:15 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,274,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
People like to hold onto their 'false' pride. They don't like to admit the ugly truth about things.

That's right but Chicago has this peculiar culture of denial. People here are very reluctant to complain or criticize anything, afraid to be branded negative. Then again, Chicago's negative growth shows that they do not complain but just move out of the city.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:33 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,059,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
-Gary/Chicago International Airport
-Midway International Airport
-Chicago-Rockford International Airport

Just to name a few.

Those are most of your posts.

Housing openings let people like you move in and just complain about Chicago.
Gary? lol

Old 02-17-2009, 01:28 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,821,072 times
New York has every kind of suburb imaginable. You can feel like you are in a small town middle america in many of the very close jersey suburbs like Clifton or Seacaucus and be 10 min from midtown by car or train. Conneticut has more of a trditional suburb feel to it like you find in place like Chicago. Long Island has a very New England feel. You can also have a very urban feel like souther westchester county and Jersey City and Hoboken. The point is that no matter your preference you can have it in a NYC suburb and Chicago suburbs are like the rest of the upper midwestern suburbs.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,757,076 times
Chicago suburbs will never have the status as the elite NY burbs.
Quote:
The Elite 100 is surprisingly diverse in terms of the number of metro areas represented on the list. No less than 27 Metro areas have their “best” neighborhoods on the list, although many of them (13) only have one place. As in the list of 1000 neighborhoods, the New York City metro area dominates the Elite 100 with 30 neighborhoods or small villages. There are 17 in the state of New York, 7 in Connecticut, and 6 in New Jersey for a total of 30% of the Elite 100. The Los Angeles metro area is a distant second with 11 neighborhoods on the list, followed by Chicago with nine.

Quote:
Surprisingly, Chicago’s Gold Coast does not figure in the Higley 1000. In fact, in the entire city of Chicago, only one stray Block Group in Lincoln Park had a mean household income high enough to make the list.
http://higley1000.com/archives/44

Old 02-17-2009, 07:07 AM

200 posts, read 608,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
This is one category that Chicago easily beats NYC hands down... better and more abundant suburbs. There are over 300+ suburbs in Chicagoland, all of them has their own unique vibe and most of them are fantastic places to live, hence the reason theyve been booming ever since their birth.
lol ok I just moved to the Northeast from Seattle but your comment is so idiotic. I lived in the northshore area and NYC burbs are more affluent and more vibrant.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:08 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,611,776 times
I guess if you break it down it comes to this:

NYC> Chicago
LI and Hudson Valley> Upstate IL
North Jersey> Northwest Indiana
Southwest CT> Southeast WI.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:01 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
Is this a joke?

Really, is this a joke? I'm slightly curious to know which NYC suburbs you've been to, if you've even been in any.
No, I can assure you it is NOT a joke.

And I'm curious to know which, if any, of the Northshore suburbs YOU have been in.

I have seen plenty of the burbs around the Tri-State area. There are many, many nice ones. Just as there are in Chicagoland.

To answer your question, the CT suburbs in particular very much remind me of the Northshore suburbs. Pound for pound, there isn't much difference - with the exception of the inflated NY area prices & taxes.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:04 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,009,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
No, I can assure you it is NOT a joke.

And I'm curious to know which, if any, of the Northshore suburbs YOU have been in.

I have seen plenty of the burbs around the Tri-State area. There are many, many nice ones. Just as there are in Chicagoland.

To answer your question, the CT suburbs in particular very much remind me of the Northshore suburbs. Pound for pound, there isn't much difference - with the exception of the inflated NY area prices & taxes.
And the natural setting such as in the parts of ny north of the bronx very very hilly area with great veiw of the Hudson and elevated across the river.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:08 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
Very true. Just like those that reside on/near the Northshore have beautiful vistas of Lake Michigan.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:32 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,274,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Very true. Just like those that reside on/near the Northshore have beautiful vistas of Lake Michigan.
I could never get Chicago's fascination with the lake. What is so great about it? It is almost always cold, even in the summer when it warms up for justa couple of weeks and then the rest of th year it blows cold unberable wind into your face. What is up with this infatuation with lake Michigan????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City