Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
New York City suburbs 57 49.14%
Chicagoland 59 50.86%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:34 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I'd take the Atlantic Ocean over the Lake by far. At least there are waves in the ocean lol.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:44 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yeah, I'd take the Atlantic Ocean over the Lake by far. At least there are waves in the ocean lol.
You should have seen those crazy concrete beaches on Lake Michigan.

Thosuands of people sunbathing and only few swimming. The lake is just too cold to swim most of the time. The art of denial: people lie on the beach not being able to go into water (even though the air temperature is about 96F) and they claim this is a real beach experience. Crazy and can only happen in Chicago.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:52 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:

Yeah, like the North Shore of Long Island along the Sound has such huge, beach like waves - right?

How funny that most of the "old money" estates are on the Sound, and not the Ocean.

I am am not talking about the Hamptons.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yeah, like the North Shore of Long Island along the Sound has such huge, beach like waves - right?

How funny that most of the "old money" estates are on the Sound, and not the Ocean.

How about Fire Island then? And why not the Hamptons and surrounding towns?

Old 02-17-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
And the lake is not too cold most of the time. All summer the beaches from Wisconsin all the way around to the beautiful shores of Michigan are PACKED with people. And they are IN the water.
It's not? Whaqt is the average temp. in July through August?

Quote:
I guess NY'ers really ARE wimps when it comes to outdoor activities.

Too cold? Pfft.
Yeah. We are wimps. Do not like icy cold water and driving 12in nails through our sculls...

Old 02-17-2009, 09:03 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Quote:

I don't care that the north shore beaches on LI don't have many waves. I can drive 10 minutes for waves if I wanted to. I grew up right by a private beach on the north shore. It was beautiful--you could stand on the cliff and have an amazing view. It was nice swimming in the water there with no one there too. It was also fun fishing off the dock. North shore beaches are very different than the south shore beaches, which is really nice.

The mansions along the north shore (I'm talking about LI) are there just because it's always been a lot less crowded and busy than the south shore. More hilly, more trees, etc. I don't think the beaches have a whole lot to do with why there are mansions there.

It's also really nice going to the south shore for the real waves of the ocean. I was always 2 minutes from a north shore beach, and 10 minutes away from the south shore ocean--can't beat that

Old 02-17-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Beacuse even by "superior" NY standards, to refer to the Hamptons as suburbs of the city is more than a stretch.

Ask residents of the Hamptons if they consider themselves suburban New York and watch the reaction.
And how many full-time residents are there in the Hamptons? And do you really think there are no other town in Long Island? There are sooo many beutiful beach communities besides Hamptons. Real communities with people actually living there year round. LI is a little "California" close to New York and water is actually warmer than around LA.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:06 AM

200 posts, read 610,987 times
Guys

You sound like a bunch of arguing brats.

NYC has great suburbs. I myself prefer the CT suburbs because I think they are the most well-rounded in the country.....the only thing with them is you NEED to be rich to live in most of them. If you aren't, you will find yourself looking in Bridgport. Night vs day. NJ and Westchester and even LI has great suburbs. I spent so much time Northshore and it was wonderful. The lake is cold, but is beautiful. Who cares? Long Island sound is beautiful but the water isn't anything special.

Everyone (NYC and CHI people) take a step back and think for a minute. Both areas are very similar.

The funny thing is, most of CT wants nothing to do with NYC. haha, really, it's true. In Greenwich they live 20 minutes from Midtown Manhattan, more than half the town of 60k works there, but they make it known that they live in CT, a far away utopia.

Thats one thing I hate about CT suburbs of NYC, they are so snobby/elitist. I liked the down to earthness in CHI.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:08 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,091 times
For one Chicago's southern cook county suburbs are straight ghetto murder filled cess pools save for a hand full of communities (Homewood, Flossmoor, Matteson, Olympia Fields, and that's about it unless you include Palos Hills into that equation).

If you consider Chicago's northern and western burbs, they are clearly better than NY's in my opinion. However, Chicago's southern burbs really drag down the region. These being the southern burbs in cook county and NOT will. So I voted for NY's.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:11 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
I don't care that the north shore beaches on LI don't have many waves. I can drive 10 minutes for waves if I wanted to. I grew up right by a private beach on the north shore. It was beautiful--you could stand on the cliff and have an amazing view. It was nice swimming in the water there with no one there too. It was also fun fishing off the dock. North shore beaches are very different than the south shore beaches, which is really nice.

The mansions along the north shore (I'm talking about LI) are there just because it's always been a lot less crowded and busy than the south shore. More hilly, more trees, etc. I don't think the beaches have a whole lot to do with why there are mansions there.

It's also really nice going to the south shore for the real waves of the ocean. I was always 2 minutes from a north shore beach, and 10 minutes away from the south shore ocean--can't beat that
Well, how very nice.

I was responding to your snarky comment about the lake being inferior due to no waves. Get it now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City