Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
New York City suburbs 57 49.14%
Chicagoland 59 50.86%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:46 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Rachael,

You forgot to read this post. Chicago has 4 suburbs (tie with SF if I am not mistaken) listed among 25 top-earning towns in America according to CNN-Money, the most trusted name in news.
Too add to that, they recently bumped up population requirements for being on the list so a few Chicago suburbs were taken off.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:55 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,308 times
The correct statement should be ...Cook county has more millionaires than any other county in the U.S except L.A county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Cook county is considered to be the second richest in America (behind LA).

Old 02-18-2009, 08:24 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
There aren't many commuter rails that run as often and as quick as the LIRR. Where I'm moving to, that line runs nearly every 10-15 minutes out of Penn station. The trains also run 24/7.
Is that a good thing? The number of trips per day for the LIRR compared to the number of stations proves how congested the area is. No wonder New Yorkers are so over the top, rude, and animalistic (on average compared to the people of other regions). I would never want to live in an area like that. You can't go anywhere without running into a mob of people. new yorkers don't know what relaxing really is because there is no room to breath.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:28 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
You can't go anywhere without running into a mob of people. new yorkers don't know what relaxing really is because there is no room to breath.

That's why most of us move to the suburbs once we get married/have kids.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:54 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
Uh, starting to get a little heated! Haha.

I would agree with Pittsteeler about the western compared to the northern burbs compared to Long Island.

Lake County and the older parts of Cook County have a LOT of forested areas. Aside from the communities with dense trees in those areas, Cook County has actually set aside over 68,000 acres of forests and forest preserves, or a little over 10% of the county.

Get out to the new spraw areas though on the Western/Southern/Northwestern areas and you have tens of thousands of houses going up on what was farmland until 10-20 years ago. Here obviously there are no original trees, so right now many areas look pretty empty. People will plant trees, but for the time being Chicago has quite a bit of "farmland" looking burbs around the edges. Just the way it is.

I think Chicagoland is also much more sprawled than much of NYC Metro. There's just so much land here, and nothing blocking you from using it. People grew up in cramped Chicago, and then they wanted room to breath. Throw into the mix that 10% of the central county is preserved, and you have an everygrowing patchwork of development.

I think Chicago could have put some planning growth into effect through the 9 suburban counties to stop this massive construction over thousands of square miles.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:53 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
^Beautiful shots, thanks!

One thing that I have NEVER experienced in/on/near Lake Michigan that I HAVE seen in the Tri-State area is needles and garbage strewn about on various beaches. I know it's pretty uncommon even there, but that is one thing you don't have to worry about in Lake Michigan.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:24 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
The thing with NYC metro areas beaches is that they are all so different from one another. Chicago just has the same lakefront for miles. We have the scenic north shore LI beaches that are very private, the crowded white sanded beaches of the south shore where the waves are enormous, and the NJ shore that has lots of shops right by the water. can't forget the boardwalks along the beaches on LI and NJ.
Lake Michigan has many diversified areas. Wetlands, sand dunes large and small, forested beaches, diverse kinds of sands and towns by the lake.....

New York city beaches are beautiful, but I'm sorry to say, so are Chicago's....

Old 02-18-2009, 01:25 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
The correct statement should be ...Cook county has more millionaires than any other county in the U.S except L.A county.
My bad, that's what I meant to say......

Old 02-18-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Is that a good thing? The number of trips per day for the LIRR compared to the number of stations proves how congested the area is. No wonder New Yorkers are so over the top, rude, and animalistic (on average compared to the people of other regions). I would never want to live in an area like that. You can't go anywhere without running into a mob of people. new yorkers don't know what relaxing really is because there is no room to breath.
THAT is the BIGGEST MYTH about NY'ers. Trust me, if they were "rude", I'd say so, but they ain't! You want rude and nasty people? Go to Philly or Boston! (especially Philly!)

NY'ers are some of the most outgoing and friendly people you'll ever come across.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Uh, starting to get a little heated! Haha.

I would agree with Pittsteeler about the western compared to the northern burbs compared to Long Island.

Lake County and the older parts of Cook County have a LOT of forested areas. Aside from the communities with dense trees in those areas, Cook County has actually set aside over 68,000 acres of forests and forest preserves, or a little over 10% of the county.

Get out to the new spraw areas though on the Western/Southern/Northwestern areas and you have tens of thousands of houses going up on what was farmland until 10-20 years ago. Here obviously there are no original trees, so right now many areas look pretty empty. People will plant trees, but for the time being Chicago has quite a bit of "farmland" looking burbs around the edges. Just the way it is.

I think Chicagoland is also much more sprawled than much of NYC Metro. There's just so much land here, and nothing blocking you from using it. People grew up in cramped Chicago, and then they wanted room to breath. Throw into the mix that 10% of the central county is preserved, and you have an everygrowing patchwork of development.

I think Chicago could have put some planning growth into effect through the 9 suburban counties to stop this massive construction over thousands of square miles.
Thank you. That's all I've been trying to say. In no way, can some 'new subdivision' compare with the older burbs that have 'mature' lots. Not in Chicago, not ANYWHERE. Those new subdivisions look like 'anywhere America'. I personally hate 'em myself, cause they have no real character.

Areas like Evanston, etc., now they're beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City