Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
New York City suburbs 57 49.14%
Chicagoland 59 50.86%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:40 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^Beautiful shots, thanks!

One thing that I have NEVER experienced in/on/near Lake Michigan that I HAVE seen in the Tri-State area is needles and garbage strewn about on various beaches. I know it's pretty uncommon even there, but that is one thing you don't have to worry about in Lake Michigan.
Ya, but at the same time, Lake Michigan is VERY polluted. Alot of beaches get closed during the summer because of this problem.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:40 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
THAT is the BIGGEST MYTH about NY'ers. Trust me, if they were "rude", I'd say so, but they ain't! You want rude and nasty people? Go to Philly or Boston! (especially Philly!)

NY'ers are some of the most outgoing and friendly people you'll ever come across.

Thank you, that's nice to say And yes, you're right, it's a myth. Everyone I know who's vacationed here says that NYers were helpful and friendly.

The thing is, we're nice to out of towners, but we're plain nasty to one another. I regularly see arguments among strangers on my commute everyday on the subway/bus lol.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Thank you, that's nice to say And yes, you're right, it's a myth. Everyone I know who's vacationed here says that NYers were helpful and friendly.

The thing is, we're nice to out of towners, but we're plain nasty to one another. I regularly see arguments among strangers on my commute everyday on the subway/bus lol.
Ya but that kind of stuff goes on everywhere. Spend some time in Philly and you'll notice a BIG difference. Everything with them turns into a big confortation! The average NY'er is VERY friendly and outgoing. You can walk into any bar and people will strike up a conversation and treat you like a regular. Try that in the Midwest (Chicago included), they are so much more closed off and like to keep to themselves. Not saying they're rude, just closed off (unlike NY'ers).

Old 02-18-2009, 02:04 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
C'mon.. no NYC metro pix??

New Jersey
http://www.archinect.com/images/uploads/Stevens_Campus_Aerial_Downstown300dpi.jpg (broken link)

Long Island

Fairfield Co. CT
http://www.uwwesternct.org/images/ct_danbury03.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Newarkbomb; 02-18-2009 at 02:43 PM..

Old 02-18-2009, 04:08 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Ya but that kind of stuff goes on everywhere. Spend some time in Philly and you'll notice a BIG difference. Everything with them turns into a big confortation! The average NY'er is VERY friendly and outgoing. You can walk into any bar and people will strike up a conversation and treat you like a regular. Try that in the Midwest (Chicago included), they are so much more closed off and like to keep to themselves. Not saying they're rude, just closed off (unlike NY'ers).
You do realize that it's the same situation. I know of rural areas to be accepting and some not to be. Blanket statements usually don't work.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
You do realize that it's the same situation. I know of rural areas to be accepting and some not to be. Blanket statements usually don't work.
It wasn't a "blanket statement". I'm talking out of personal experience. I got no axe to grind with Chicago or the Midwest. I only speak about matters that I've PERSONALLY seen or experienced.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:01 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
It wasn't a "blanket statement". I'm talking out of personal experience. I got no axe to grind with Chicago or the Midwest. I only speak about matters that I've PERSONALLY seen or experienced.
It was a blanket statement you said if you try to do it anywhere in the Midwest that they won't treat you right. You didn't mention anything about your personal experiences until this post.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
It was a blanket statement you said if you try to do it anywhere in the Midwest that they won't treat you right. You didn't mention anything about your personal experiences until this post.
"Treat me right"? I said "closed off", didn't say anything about people treating me bad in any way. The people of the Midwest ain't the social creatures that most NY'ers are, PERIOD.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:07 PM

48 posts, read 103,375 times
Quote:
"Treat me right"? I said "closed off", didn't say anything about people treating me bad in any way. The people of the Midwest ain't the social creatures that most NY'ers are, PERIOD.
I think were ever you go in the United States there are friendly people , closed off people and rude people all different types of people in every part of the country you go to.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown Den. View Post
I think were ever you go in the United States there are friendly people , closed off people and rude people all different types of people in every part of the country you go to.
Go to 10 bars in Chicago that you've never been to, and do the same in NYC. Tell me what city has the MORE outgoing types, Chicago or NYC. I bet you that you say NYC! Getting people in Chicago bars to open up can be like pulling teeth! In NYC, you sometimes feel like 'Norm' from 'Cheers'. I'm serious, even if it's your first time in the bar.

I'm sorry to tell you, Chicago people like to keep to themselves or the crowd they're with. I never had any bad experiences drinking in Chicago, other than boredom! A hangover ain't worth it in Chicago in my opinon. In NYC, I'd puke my brains out on a regular basis, and go back for more the next night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City