Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is a better place to live?
Albuquerque, NM 47 65.28%
Las Vegas, NV 25 34.72%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 04:39 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,388,720 times

Advertisements

Vegas is faster paced and lively. Abq is more laid back. The great economy aspect is out for Vegas at least for now. Vegas also gets much hotter and for a longer time. So Abq would be my choice. Both places are great if you like outdoor activities such as hiking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 11:07 AM

142 posts, read 252,901 times
this thread is pretty old. But having lived in Albuquerque for 15 years, I'd agree that it is much more beautiful scenery wise and has access to UT, CO, AZ for all kinds of recreation (as does LV). I can see a couple things that would make Vegas more appealing. One, NO state income tax. If you're trying to make some money then over 10 years not having that ~5% state income tax really adds up (in my case I'd save about $40k over 10 years). The other big thing that comes to mind is entertainment. Vegas gets pretty much everything big and small. Albuquerque is really lacking in concerts and cultural events and more importantly the venues we have aren't very enjoyable places to see shows. We lack small and mid-size venues of any decent quality. Third, housing options for single/young people I would imagine are better in Vegas. We lack many condo/townhome communities here that appeal to people without kids, retirees, etc. I would think that our housing is a little more expensive. Albuquerque is probably a much more 'real' place as people typically don't move here to make money, party, or live short-term. Weather wise, if you like heat Vegas is better. Albuquerque weather is fairly moderate with some pretty cold temps in the winter and a little snow and hot summer but not Vegas or Phoenix kinda hot. Albuquerque and NM in general is very easy to escape to wilderness/outdoor area where you won't see many other people.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:11 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Albuquerque.

Note my bias, but I think it has:

Better weather

Large populaton but not absolutely sprawling

Cultures with deep local roots

A post-war growth that attracted (and still attracts) people who have an interesting and off-beat perspective on life, the universe and everything, not just snowbirdish sun seekers and libertine fun seekers

What happens in Albuquerque, you do not have to be so ashamed of that you have to leave it in Albuquerque... mostly :-)

Old 12-15-2015, 05:14 PM

8,619 posts, read 10,146,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Albuquerque.

Note my bias, but I think it has:

Better weather

Large populaton but not absolutely sprawling

Cultures with deep local roots

A post-war growth that attracted (and still attracts) people who have an interesting and off-beat perspective on life, the universe and everything, not just snowbirdish sun seekers and libertine fun seekers

What happens in Albuquerque, you do not have to be so ashamed of that you have to leave it in Albuquerque... mostly :-)
Not trying to crash your party, but what do you mean not absolutely sprawling? Of course ABQ sprawls like most other metros or urban areas. In fact, the LV urban area is at least 1.5 times denser than the ABQ urban area.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:57 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Not trying to crash your party, but what do you mean not absolutely sprawling? Of course ABQ sprawls like most other metros or urban areas. In fact, the LV urban area is at least 1.5 times denser than the ABQ urban area.
I was playing loose with the term sprawl in that I wasn't so much talking the urban planning definition as the fact that it it occupies a fairly small area being bounded by reservation lands, BLM and National Forest. It only takes about 10 minutes to cross the whole city on the interstate.

However, I have learned that Las Vegas occupies a smaller are than Albuquerque, so I stand corrected on that matter. For some reason, Las Vegas is portrayed a large, desert metropolis while Albuquerque slips under the radar as little more than a big small town, in the popular perception.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:16 PM

650 posts, read 868,071 times
To live? Albuquerque. LV is nice to visit but I wouldn't live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City