Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 08:26 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times

Advertisements

why is Newark on the int'l travelers list? because of the airport?

it's either that or the Prudential Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 06:42 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I would have placed Dallas in the top 20 most known cities to foreigners.

You would have a hard time telling me that San Antonio is more well known to foreigners than Dallas or Houston.

Since the study was done by Hotels.com, its heavily biased toward tourism.
It depends on what foreigners you mean, Spanish speaking people visit San Antonio more, it was a battle ground during the Texas revolution. But foreigners in Asia, Europe, and everywhere else can say they know of Houston and Dallas more than S.A.

Yeahh, they would be biased, S.A does reel in more tourists than Houston or Dallas.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:41 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,061,765 times
20?? I'm thinking there are 5 well known at most.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:49 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,662,795 times
The coasts, both west and east, will naturally be better known and more visited by foreigners. Simple geography. One exception would probably be Vegas.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:52 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,373 times
People are looking a bit too much into the visitors list. Depending where you are talking about internationally, the cities they know will be different. For example: There are a lot of Hungarians in Cleveland, and they typically know Cleveland. Another example is Somalia, and Minneapolis and Columbus typically have a lot of Somali migrants, hence they may know those cities more. I look at it in the perspective of where people immigrated from in major cities -- they will usually still have family back in their homeland so they'd know where their relatives have migrated. Atleast from my travels, aside from cities like London or Melbourne (you get the point) where they are pretty well educated and familiar with most major US cities.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,838,653 times
Quote:
I would have placed Dallas in the top 20 most known cities to foreigners.

You would have a hard time telling me that San Antonio is more well known to foreigners than Dallas or Houston.

Since the study was done by Hotels.com, its heavily biased toward tourism.
If they added Fort Worth with Dallas it would definitely be much higher but the list bogus in my opinion.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:55 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,920,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
If they added Fort Worth with Dallas it would definitely be much higher but the list bogus in my opinion.
Why do you think adding Ft. Worth to Dallas would make a difference?

Old 04-08-2010, 02:03 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Why do you think adding Ft. Worth to Dallas would make a difference?
Why wouldnt it? If you took the whole area into consideration, it would have a higher hotel stay.

I dont trust the list as a source of which cities are most well known. Rather these are the cities that are the most popular among tourists. Hotels.com is a travel agency. They keep tabs of tourist traffic, not really biz traffic. I can say that with assurance because most business travelers like their hotel points and like to be able to cancel or reschedule at a whim.

Hotels.com are prepaid hotels that are slightly cheaper, but have no flexability and you dont get your reward points. Its a big no-no for business travelers.

While its not a bad list all together, it is a bad list for determining which cities are most known overall. It negates those who have to travel for business.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:05 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,920,884 times
Quote:
Why wouldnt it? If you took the whole area into consideration, it would have a higher hotel stay.

I dont trust the list as a source of which cities are most well known. Rather these are the cities that are the most popular among tourists. Hotels.com is a travel agency. They keep tabs of tourist traffic, not really biz traffic. I can say that with assurance because most business travelers like their hotel points and like to be able to cancel or reschedule at a whim.

Hotels.com are prepaid hotels that are slightly cheaper, but have no flexability and you dont get your reward points. Its a big no-no for business travelers.

While its not a bad list all together, it is a bad list for determining which cities are most known overall. It negates those who have to travel for business.
Adding Ft. Worth would add to Dallas' total hotel stays, but I highly doubt it would add anything at all to Dallas' overall "well knowness" internationally.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:09 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Adding Ft. Worth would add to Dallas' total hotel stays, but I highly doubt it would add anything at all to Dallas' overall "well knowness" internationally.
Im not sure about that. I was talking about the hotel stays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City