Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 04:23 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,060,473 times

Advertisements

Is EVERYONE forgetting about Pittsburgh and the WORLD CHAMPION Pittsburgh Steelers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 07:48 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,766,800 times
Yes, I find most people in general don't know much about the rest of the world unless they're geography nuts, very educated, or well-traveled. Being a geography nerd I could tell you the capital of Turkmenistan off the top of my head, but I'm far from the average Australian in that regard. An American who could not recognize all 50 states though - that would be a worry!

Old 02-21-2009, 12:28 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,343,833 times
Memphis really #6- are you thinking about Fedex or something- if Memphis is #6 then Louisville should be on this list somewhere

Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Louisville, while maybe very well known in the US, is not really known at all outside the US.
Louisville= UPS
Memphis= Fedex -that's my point.....people around the world probaby could care less about either of these two cities. You think anyone in Dujubai is thinking about going to Memphis to see Elvis

Old 02-23-2009, 07:49 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,276,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I've done a lot of traveling and living around the world, and I would say that this list is pretty indicative of my observations, too, although I would say that Miami is much more well known than Seattle among most Europeans.

I was stunned at how many people overseas had heard of Memphis.
You simply forgot about the King and his international following

Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
You simply forgot about the King and his international following
Yes, lol...how much was Memphis mentioned in pop songs too, I bet it was the most mentioned city by those British Invasion bands.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:47 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,724,673 times
Quote:
Memphis is known because of its rich musical legacy, Elvis, Graceland.etc, while Louisville, while maybe very well known in the US, is not really known at all outside the US.
I don't know. Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby are pretty well-known international events...and Louisville Slugger bats give the city some name recognition, as does the University of Louisville - is it know outside the U.S.?

Memphis has Elvis, but Louisville has Muhammad Ali and Colonel Sanders.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:57 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,724,673 times
Quote:
Yes, lol...how much was Memphis mentioned in pop songs too, I bet it was the most mentioned city by those British Invasion bands.
Proud Mary and Walking in Memphis come to mind...I think Memphis is one of the most mentioned cities in music? Rolling Stones had a song that mentioned Memphis...

Old 02-23-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I don't know. Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby are pretty well-known international events...and Louisville Slugger bats give the city some name recognition, as does the University of Louisville - is it know outside the U.S.?

Memphis has Elvis, but Louisville has Muhammad Ali and Colonel Sanders.
The Derby is well known...indeed Kentucky is one of the best known states simply because of KFC. None of the cities in it are nearly as well known.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:19 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,474,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Proud Mary and Walking in Memphis come to mind...I think Memphis is one of the most mentioned cities in music? Rolling Stones had a song that mentioned Memphis...
Honky Tonk Woman is the song you're thinking of.

Memphis is probably the most celebrated city in musical lyrics. On a huge sign visible while driving into the city on I-40 over the Mississippi River, Memphis self-proclaims itself the "Home of the Blues and the Birthplace of Rock and Roll."

There are several other cities that nurtured the blues (and by extension early rock and roll): Chicago, New Orleans, Houston, St. Louis and Kansas City are the biggest, but they don't even compare to Memphis when it comes to being a raw cultural force that influenced the history of the western world. Memphis was ground zero for a musical revolution that changed the way we view the world.

Without the blues, there would be no rock and roll. Without rock and roll, there would be no hip-hop. Think about that next time you turn on your ipod and wonder why Memphis is so well known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City