Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Major Non-Southern city has the Most Southern influence?
Washington, DC 5 19.23%
St. Louis, MO 8 30.77%
Baltimore, MD 1 3.85%
Cincinati, OH 6 23.08%
Kansas City, MO/KS 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,916,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Ah, many things

slower pace of life, manners, level of aristocracy, charm, availability of sweet tea/bbq, friendliness, attractive women, etc.
Then I guess I was right. Richmond fits the bill of being a Northern city with Southern influences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 04:04 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,193,516 times
Quote:
Good luck! I cant even convince people that Richmond, Virginia is South, lol.
ahahah where are these crackheads living, canada?

Old 03-09-2009, 10:29 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,336,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by local20 View Post
I wouldn't consider Kansas City at all southern. Way more so northern comparing to Minneapolis or Chicago.

that said, I would say Cinci or Stl have a good amount of southern influence. I would never think either as southern cities though.
St. Louis has no more Southern influence than Kansas City. Cincinnati is slightly more Southern I would say because of its political leniences and its proximity to a state in the Upper South. KC and St. Louis aren't anywhere near a Southern state. Regardless, all three of these cities are much more like Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Chicago, and Detroit than Louisville, Memphis, or Nashville.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:33 PM

3,643 posts, read 10,690,947 times
Quote:
Ah, many things

slower pace of life, manners, level of aristocracy, charm, availability of sweet tea/bbq, friendliness, attractive women, etc.
manners, aristocracy, and charm are not necessarily Southern things. Those are high society things that can be found everywhere. You cant tell me that most Southerners live that kind of lifestyle. There are lots of low class Southerners who fit the numerous stereotypes. Not everyone in the South is living in your imaginairy world.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:54 AM

6,749 posts, read 21,997,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
manners, aristocracy, and charm are not necessarily Southern things. Those are high society things that can be found everywhere. You cant tell me that most Southerners live that kind of lifestyle. There are lots of low class Southerners who fit the numerous stereotypes. Not everyone in the South is living in your imaginairy world.
High society maybe becoming a rarity anymore

Old 03-11-2009, 09:59 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,530,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
No kidding. I thought Margaret Mitchell was dead.
Anyways, my vote goes to Baltimore. It's culture is unique enough that it can go either way without sticking out too far. Tidewater Maryland seemed pretty Southern to me.
St. Louis did have a hint of Southerness to it. It seemed a little more genteel than cities like Mpls. and Chgo. -- it seemed like there were things that were socially acceptable in Mpls. and Chgo. that weren't in St. Louis. Those differences were quite slight, though. Plus, I had to drive through Hannibal to get there. No way in hell was that Midwestern.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:52 AM

61 posts, read 226,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
St. Louis has no more Southern influence than Kansas City. Cincinnati is slightly more Southern I would say because of its political leniences and its proximity to a state in the Upper South. KC and St. Louis aren't anywhere near a Southern state. Regardless, all three of these cities are much more like Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Chicago, and Detroit than Louisville, Memphis, or Nashville.

Missouri is a southern state .. suck it slavers

Old 03-12-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Anyways, my vote goes to Baltimore. It's culture is unique enough that it can go either way without sticking out too far. Tidewater Maryland seemed pretty Southern to me.
St. Louis did have a hint of Southerness to it. It seemed a little more genteel than cities like Mpls. and Chgo. -- it seemed like there were things that were socially acceptable in Mpls. and Chgo. that weren't in St. Louis. Those differences were quite slight, though. Plus, I had to drive through Hannibal to get there. No way in hell was that Midwestern.
Hannibal is definitely Midwestern without a doubt. 'It's not the Upper Midwest, it's the Lower Midwest. The people there talk with a Midwestern accent, the culture is Midwestern, the cuisine is Midwestern...there is nothing Southern about it at least today. Any ties it has to the South are mainly pre-Civil War. It is on big Mississippi river bluffs which would probably give it a slightly different look and feel to it than the atypical Midwestern town but Springfield, Illinois is 100 miles due east, and Illinois is just across the river. Midwestern culture, farmland, attitudes, and lifestyle are prominent in that area. The Northern half of Missouri is solidly Midwestern. I know several people from Hannibal, some people who have been old natives to that area...they are definitely Midwesterners for sure, much more like Illinois and Iowa than Arkansas and Kentucky.

Last edited by ajf131; 03-12-2009 at 01:50 PM..

Old 03-12-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicname View Post
Missouri is a southern state .. suck it slavers
Slavery by itself doesn't make a state Southern, anyone with common sense knows that. Missouri's economy didn't depend on slavery, and it sent twice as many men to fight for the Union than it did for the Confederacy in the Civil War. Missouri also ruled that Dred Scott was free, but the U.S. Supreme Court justice Roger Taney over-ruled it. Missouri's black population also grew in numbers during the Great Migration. No Southern state had that characteristic, not even Kentucky. It also outlawed slavery on its own before the end of the Civil War. How about you suck it?

Old 03-12-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
People from the Upper Midwest don't seem to understand that the Lower Midwest has some Southern influence to it, but is still very distinct from the Upper South. Again, why Hannibal doesn't strike you as Midwestern is beyond me. It feels no different than Quincy, Illinois or Keokuk, Iowa to me. Most of the rural Midwestern towns are a lot like Hannibal...conservative, old, run-down, and laid-back. Same attitudes, feel, culture, and way of life. St. Louis, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Columbus, and Kansas City all are slightly different in attitudes than the cities of the Upper Midwest, but again, as you pointed out, very little difference. The Upper Midwest and Lower Midwest are different from one another, but just like the Upper South and Deep South, they are more alike than different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City