Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Southern City has the most "Northern" Influence
Atlanta 135 47.20%
Charlotte 99 34.62%
Nashville 10 3.50%
New Orleans 33 11.54%
Birmingham 0 0%
Jacksonville 9 3.15%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 01:56 PM

259 posts, read 543,074 times

Advertisements

I'd have to say Atlanta...New Orleans has its own style and culture unlike any other city. If you've been to places like New York, Chicago and even LA then you've pretty much seen everything urban life has to offer...Atl wouldn't be too much of a surprise to you whereas if you go to the boot you will see things you've never seen in the country. Their influences come from else where. When I see some of the people I know from Atl I would think they were from Chicago or New York from the way they dress and carry themselves the only thing that gets it for them is the accents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 01:56 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Atlanta is way more Southern than NOVA.
By a thread. I am from Richmond, and the city of Atlanta to me felt Northern!

Old 02-21-2009, 01:57 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Atlanta is way more Southern than NOVA.
I agree. It is way way more Southern. But I'm also wondering about the New Orleans responses.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:27 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
By a thread. I am from Richmond, and the city of Atlanta to me felt Northern!
In what way?

Old 02-21-2009, 04:58 PM

188 posts, read 520,776 times
I would say that Nashville feels a lot more 'country' than it does southern, but the southern roots/ties there are still undeniably strong. Atlanta by far has the most northern influence, but is still very southern at heart.

I think the reason why people picked New Orleans is because, like Florida, it doesn't give off that 'traditional' southern vibe. It's got this bizarre French/Creole/American/West Indies cosmopolitan history that keeps it from being southern like Alabama or Arkanas. While it may be a different type of south, it is still the south no less.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
In what way?
Try using the Marta at 8 AM where no one says hello or kiss my_

Also, the vibe of the city just does not feel typically Southern. Its not because of its size. Richmond is a large city, yet it has Southern charm and hospitality.

I did not get much of any Southern vibe to Atlanta.

I got more out in Nashville than I did Atlanta.

Stone Mountain was fairly Southern. It reminded me of Hunt Country near Middleburg, VA

Old 02-21-2009, 05:46 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:

Also, the vibe of the city just does not feel typically Southern. Its not because of its size. Richmond is a large city, yet it has Southern charm and hospitality.

I did not get much of any Southern vibe to Atlanta.

I got more out in Nashville than I did Atlanta.

Stone Mountain was fairly Southern. It reminded me of Hunt Country near Middleburg, VA
I'm sorry, but I know of NO subway system at rush hour where people say hello and offer up small talk.

And Stone Mountain reminded you of Hunt Country? LOL!

Old 02-21-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I'm sorry, but I know of NO subway system at rush hour where people say hello and offer up small talk.

And Stone Mountain reminded you of Hunt Country? LOL!
In many ways it did. We ate a Tavern, there I forgot what it was called. It reminded me of Mosby's Tavern in Middleburg. The town reminded me of Middleburg. Only maybe slightly larger.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:26 PM

657 posts, read 1,504,269 times
Actually Middleburg reminds me of Middletown, Connecticut. They both have lots of taverns, orchards and historical sites.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:43 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
I don't get it.

Quote:
If by "vibe" here you're referring to easy-going and laid-back, then I would say that it's not typically Southern from the standpoint that the South has historically been dominated by rural influences than urban influences.

And size would have a LOT to do with it. Atlanta is significantly larger than Richmond. Richmond is more mid-sized than large, at least regionally speaking (definitely nationally speaking). There's a reason why you don't think that Atlanta, Miami, Houston, or Dallas are Southern; they are all large metro areas with people moving there from all over, making the local culture and vibe more multifaceted and dynamic. They didn't get that large due to rural counties in the vicinity emptying out and shifting all of their residents to those cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City