Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Southern City has the most "Northern" Influence
Atlanta 135 47.20%
Charlotte 99 34.62%
Nashville 10 3.50%
New Orleans 33 11.54%
Birmingham 0 0%
Jacksonville 9 3.15%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 10:39 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This is my point exactly! Nobody who's lived up north would ever parallel Atlanta with Northern influence. I'm telling you, it's only ignorant (ignorant by definition, in the sense of not knowing better) Southerners who say this crap!

Atlanta is what it is. By and large, no matter where you rank it, by most measures, it is a Top 10 city in this country (I'd say #8). Being such, it has many of the amenities and lifestyle options that come in large, important cities--as well as the multicultural atmosphere you find in all big cities. That doesn't equate being "Northern-influenced". People move, and people move to large cities...

There are a TON of Southern natives living in New York and LA. While they're influence adds to the diversity in those cities, NY could never be mistaken for anything other than a NE city, and LA could never seem like anything besides a West Coast city....and Atlanta could never be mistaken for anything besides Southern...
You're missing the point. No is saying that Atlanta would ever be mistaken for a Northern city. All of the cities on the poll are culturally Southern but OUT OF THAT BUNCH, which has the most Northern influence? Not a ton of Northern influence, or which feels "Northern lite." Out of this bunch of culturally Southern cities, Atlanta has the most Northern influence. It's no different from a poll created one time that asked about Northern cities with the most Southern influence and cities like Detroit and Chicago were named due to being recipients of large amounts of Southern migrants during the Great Migration, yet everybody knows those are Northern cities without question.

Geesh, is it really THAT hard to understand????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 10:43 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,630,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

And what's ITP that "blatantly" reminds you you're in the South?
He used a bad choice of words, but don't be so defensive...

The architecture. The energy. The people and the rationale. The customs. The food. The music of locals (homegrown style). The accents....do I really have to continue? There is a LOT of stark differences that tell you where you're at. I think you take it a little too personal, and that YOU read too much into the notion if being "Northern-influenced"....

Old 04-26-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
He used a bad choice of words, but don't be so defensive...

The architecture. The energy. The people and the rationale. The customs. The food. The music of locals (homegrown style). The accents....do I really have to continue? There is a LOT of stark differences that tell you where you're at. I think you take it a little too personal, and that YOU read too much into the notion if being "Northern-influenced"....
I asked him because he made the comment, so I'll let him speak for himself. But thanks for your input.

And I'm not reading too much into anything. I laugh when people say Atlanta isn't Southern anymore; sure it has been influenced by Northerners since they've been moving here in droves for a while now, more than any other city on this poll, but it's still a Southern city.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:48 AM

Man listen, you still aren't able to tell me 'how' Atlanta has been Northern-influenced, or list me any specifics on 'what' cultural contributions the North has given Atlanta. Because I don't see it, and it would seem that you don't know either...

Of the cities on this list, "NONE" should have been a choice. Neither one of these cities are any more Northern-influenced than another...

Old 04-26-2014, 10:49 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
So basically the main reason why Atlanta is considered the city with the most northern influence is because of the large migration of Blacks from all over the country that are making the city less Southern?

Old 04-26-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Man listen, you still aren't able to tell me 'how' Atlanta has been Northern-influenced, or list me any specifics on 'what' cultural contributions the North has given Atlanta. Because I don't see it, and it would seem that you don't know either...

Of the cities on this list, "NONE" should have been a choice. Neither one of these cities are any more Northern-influenced than another...
Generally it's a dilution of Southern culture in certain parts of the metro, and it's not just due to Northeasterners but Midwesterners too, particularly Michiganders who seem to be moving here in droves. You see hints of it in accents, cuisine, religion, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
So basically the main reason why Atlanta is considered the city with the most northern influence is because of the large migration of Blacks from all over the country that are making the city less Southern?
Not just Black folk. I'd say the cultural dilution is more palpable in the northern part of the metro where Blacks aren't as concentrated. You know a lot of Blacks in the North still have some Southern ways about them.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Bro, he doesn't know. No one on his side of the argument is able to tell you WHY Atlanta Is "Northern-influenced". It's a false ideology. That's my belief, anyway, until someone can present a concrete, rational argument...

Old 04-26-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Bro, he doesn't know. No one on his side of the argument is able to tell you WHY Atlanta Is "Northern-influenced". It's a false ideology. That's my belief, anyway, until someone can present a concrete, rational argument...
I already spoke of dilutions of Southern culture in areas like accents, cuisine, religion, etc. but here's one concrete example:

The third-fastest-developing diocese is Atlanta, which saw the number of registered parishioners explode from nearly 322,000 in 2002 to 1 million in 2012 — an increase of more than twofold, according to the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate at Georgetown University. Atlanta also has the largest Eucharistic Congress in the country, with an annual attendance of about 30,000, according to an archdiocesan official.

Protestant South Becoming a New Catholic Stronghold | Daily News | NCRegister.com

And this isn't due to the growth in the Hispanic population either as a very large contingent of them are evangelical in this region, but rather due to the influx of Midwesterners and Northeasterners.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:06 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Generally it's a dilution of Southern culture in certain parts of the metro, and it's not just due to Northeasterners but Midwesterners too, particularly Michiganders who seem to be moving here in droves. You see hints of it in accents, cuisine, religion, etc.

Not just Black folk. I'd say the cultural dilution is more palpable in the northern part of the metro where Blacks aren't as concentrated. You know a lot of Blacks in the North still have some Southern ways about them.
I see what you mean but at the same time African American regional culture hasn't been really studied that well by expects in those fields of study. I just fell that its somewhat short-sighted to just assume that Black Americans everywhere are all strongly influenced from Southern culture.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:06 AM

@mutiny...

You believe the Southern culture is diluted in Cobb County? The only thing I can see towards what you are saying is I see transplants and I hear their accents, I see their culture--in THEM. Not so much in locals. And i get what you're saying, because it is possible, but it's not really what's going on in Atlanta. The cuisine and accents here are unchanged; I've yet to meet an Atlantan who doesn't speak with a form of Southern dialect. I know individuals who have been introduced to other styles of food, but that hasnt, on a large scale, permeated into enough of the populous to say Atlanta cuisine is becoming more Northern...

Case in point: I live near the Gwinnett - Hall County line. Two of my female friends are white women, early thirties. One is from Providence, the other is from Stockton, California. If anything, the transplants are assimilated into Atlanta culture more than the other way around. There is a TON of transplants here. There impact isn't nearly as large as I think you believe. I can see the Southern characteristics building in transplants more t an I can see a NE/West Coast characteristics popping up in their circle of friends...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City