Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City Is The Gateway To Dixie?
Washington, DC 9 13.43%
Louisville, KY 17 25.37%
Richmond, VA 26 38.81%
Baltimore, MD 2 2.99%
Other 13 19.40%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:57 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Here's what I think they are:
Looks good to me. I think we can all resume normal activities now.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:31 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Perfect!

Old 02-27-2009, 09:35 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,539 times
Yeah that map was pretty good, but San Antonio...hmm..ive been there and not so sure. OKC and Springfield MO...bingo.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:37 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,539 times
Is Orlando the gateway to the South coming from up southern Florida? lol....

Old 02-28-2009, 12:35 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Quote:
I mostly agree with that, although Springfield, Missouri in my opinion has a lot of Midwestern influence to it as well. My dad grew up in Joplin, and he and his family, who had resided in that region for almost 80 years when he was born, were not Southerners. Still, I agree that Springfield has a lot of Southern influence to it too. Either way, I mostly agree with that map.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:14 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I mostly agree with that, although Springfield, Missouri in my opinion has a lot of Midwestern influence to it as well. My dad grew up in Joplin, and he and his family, who had resided in that region for almost 80 years when he was born, were not Southerners. Still, I agree that Springfield has a lot of Southern influence to it too. Either way, I mostly agree with that map.
A lot of the cities I marked were just estimates. I just marked the closest city to where I thought it was. Basically it's an outline of the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
Is Orlando the gateway to the South coming from up southern Florida? lol....
Haha, yeah it's kinda confusing. It's the Gateway to Northern Florida, which is part of the South.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:21 PM

22 posts, read 34,517 times
Raleigh is... its the most northern city in the real (as in not virginia or texas or kentucky) south... it has its southern charm but northern side too. This is not a really important issue though, all it means is that the "gateway" is gonna be over run by New Yorkers trying to find a "southern" lifestyle without the accent... its not gonna happen.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:50 AM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfstorres View Post
Raleigh is... its the most northern city in the real (as in not virginia or texas or kentucky) south... it has its southern charm but northern side too. This is not a really important issue though, all it means is that the "gateway" is gonna be over run by New Yorkers trying to find a "southern" lifestyle without the accent... its not gonna happen.
i dont think raleigh has ever been given the title "gateway to the south" by anybody besides you.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:28 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Which city offers that feeling that you have officially left the North, and you're truly in the South?

I put DC. Because all the plantations around NOVA and you can get good BBQ around there too.

Richmond is well into the South.
Well I don't think any "one" answer will work.

Remember the South is a large region it will have sub-characteristics as well from all corners. The South isn't just all the same, it's got variety too. Texas is different than North Carolina in vulture, both are different from Mississippi, and lots are different than Southern Florida.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a3/US_map-The_South_Modern_.png (broken link)

The states in stripes, I'm going to leave out. (Missouri, Delaware, Washington DC, and Maryland)

As you can see people from the West can say that they entered the South from El Paso, even though El Paso has more Southwestern characteristics than Southern, geographically it is still apart of the "South".

Arlington can geographically be considered the South as well, so it can count as a gateway entry.

Memphis can be counted as a gateway for entry into the South as well from the people coming in from Missouri.

Louisville being the gateway from across the Ohio River.

Miami, New Orleans, and Houston can all be gateways for people coming in by sea.

Any large city on the coast and any large city on the southern boundaries can work as gateways, and they all have the same significance. If you're coming from the Northeast then of course South of DC will be the breaking point for you, because that's where you'll notice your culture clash with Southern culture. But the same can be said for Midwestern people and Memphis. And West Coast people coming in from Texas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_(US)

It's interesting because there truly is no "one entry to the South" there are many. This map is a good representation of how "Southern" some of these states are also. The ones in stripes aren't as culturally Southern as the other states. The ones in the lighter shade of red are culturally less southern than the ones in the dark red.

Very interesting indeed.

Last edited by DANNYY; 06-06-2010 at 03:56 AM..

Old 06-06-2010, 02:57 AM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times
k
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
The states in stripes, I'm going to leave out. (Kentucky, Missouri, Delaware, Washington DC, and Maryland)
KY's not in stripes

and memphis is not a gateway to the south when coming from the midwest. it may be the first city you get to, but once youve got there youve been in the south for a while, and should be aware of it.

the only city ive ever heard of to actually claim that title is louisville

also i dont think the map was necessarily showing "how southern culturally" the states are, but how often they are included. the caption reads something along the lines of "dark read almost always considered part of the south, red is usually considered part of the south, and striped is sometimes."

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 06-06-2010 at 03:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City