Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City Is The Gateway To Dixie?
Washington, DC 9 13.43%
Louisville, KY 17 25.37%
Richmond, VA 26 38.81%
Baltimore, MD 2 2.99%
Other 13 19.40%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:49 PM

128 posts, read 271,884 times

Advertisements

Atlanta gets my vote, but let me explain.

These days it is probably Atlanta, Dallas or Houston because they all have big ass airports and that's how people move from region to region these days I've lived in Texas for over a decade and visited 19 continental US states, yet I have never been in a state that borders Texas. The closest I've been on the ground outside of Texas is actually Denver.

In addition, they are all growing quickly, though Atlanta seems to expose people to much more Southern culture than the other two, which are much more Western and Midwestern anyway. Therefore, Atlanta is the gateway to the South because it exposes the most people to the most Southern culture.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:01 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,146,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openedskittles View Post

These days it is probably Atlanta, Dallas or Houston because they all have big ass airports and that's how people move from region to region these days I've lived in Texas for over a decade and visited 19 continental US states, yet I have never been in a state that borders Texas. The closest I've been on the ground outside of Texas is actually Denver.

In addition, they are all growing quickly, though Atlanta seems to expose people to much more Southern culture than the other two, which are much more Western and Midwestern anyway. Therefore, Atlanta is the gateway to the South because it exposes the most people to the most Southern culture.
You really think Atlanta is the gateway to the south? So basically anything north of Atlanta is northern culture? Lol, I really wouldn't call a native South Carolinian a northerner.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:04 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,909,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openedskittles View Post

Having a connecting flight on Delta does not count as exposing people to the south. I do still agree with you about Atlanta being a lot of people's first experience with the south but if your driving as this thread implies, then you have to go with another city that's more on the edge of dixie.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:08 PM

I can tell you first hand, visiting North Carolina (which is north of Atlanta, Georgia, for the geographically challenged) you get exposed to southern culture pretty quickly. I also feel that there are areas even more north of North Carolina that have just as much southern culture. I agree with the poll, somewhere around Richmond, VA is probably the true gateway to the south. While Atlanta might be reffered to as "the capital of the south" it really isn't the gateway. There are many place north of it that expose you to southern culture first.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I can tell you first hand, visiting North Carolina (which is north of Atlanta, Georgia, for the geographically challenged) you get exposed to southern culture pretty quickly. I also feel that there are areas even more north of North Carolina that have just as much southern culture. I agree with the poll, somewhere around Richmond, VA is probably the true gateway to the south. While Atlanta might be reffered to as "the capital of the south" it really isn't the gateway. There are many place north of it that expose you to southern culture first.
Yes if doing the 95 drive into the south from NE. If you're coming in from the midwest or southwest it would change things up and that would be an interesting angle to approach as well.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Yes if doing the 95 drive into the south from NE. If you're coming in from the midwest or southwest it would change things up and that would be an interesting angle to approach as well.
That is true, also somebody else pointed it out that if you drive from South Florida going north the gateway is somewhere around Daytona Beach.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
That is true, also somebody else pointed it out that if you drive from South Florida going north the gateway is somewhere around Daytona Beach.
I would second that but only north of Daytona. The Daytona area itself has a fairly high concentration of northern retirees & transplants and I've even seen "Southern Culture" distribution maps that exclude Daytona Beach but then it gets shaded after that. If you we're coming up the turnpike or I-75 through middle of state then I'd say even rural areas in South Florida like Okeechobee would have some exposure to the "south" but then loose most of it again once near Orlando, Tampa, etc. Even north of Orlando is not a guarantee with place like Gainsville breaking the mold somewhat right around UF. One tiny detail though- We didn't consider how they would have gotten to S. Fl in the first place cause if they drove then that's shot. I didn't think we were talking about flying because that would mean what ever southern city they flew into would be the gateway. Let's just use the good ole' Mason-Dixon line and call it a day

Old 06-17-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I would second that but only north of Daytona. The Daytona area itself has a fairly high concentration of northern retirees & transplants and I've even seen "Southern Culture" distribution maps that exclude Daytona Beach but then it gets shaded after that. If you we're coming up the turnpike or I-75 through middle of state then I'd say even rural areas in South Florida like Okeechobee would have some exposure to the "south" but then loose most of it again once near Orlando, Tampa, etc. Even north of Orlando is not a guarantee with place like Gainsville breaking the mold somewhat right around UF. One tiny detail though- We didn't consider how they would have gotten to S. Fl in the first place cause if they drove then that's shot. I didn't think we were talking about flying because that would mean what ever southern city they flew into would be the gateway. Let's just use the good ole' Mason-Dixon line and call it a day
I see what you mean, Florida is like that, if you go to the middle of the state you're going to experience some southern culture, but if you stick to the coasts, you barely see it, especially in South Florida.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:19 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,750,102 times
Quote:
I see what you mean, Florida is like that, if you go to the middle of the state you're going to experience some southern culture, but if you stick to the coasts, you barely see it, especially in South Florida.
You're right for the most part, but EAST Fort Myers/North Fort Myers/Lehigh Acres/Olga and all that.. Feels like you're in Louisiana, and these are near the coast (I've been to Lousiana to see the similarities)

Old 06-17-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
You're right for the most part, but EAST Fort Myers/North Fort Myers/Lehigh Acres/Olga and all that.. Feels like you're in Louisiana, and these are near the coast (I've been to Lousiana to see the similarities)
Yeah thats true, I should've clarified when I said South Florida I basically meant on the eastside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City