Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City Is The Gateway To Dixie?
Washington, DC 9 13.43%
Louisville, KY 17 25.37%
Richmond, VA 26 38.81%
Baltimore, MD 2 2.99%
Other 13 19.40%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:22 AM

4 posts, read 15,476 times

Advertisements

Hi

From my experience, Nashville is where it really starts feeling southern (traveling from NYC.)

I agree that Western Texas starts not to feel so Southern anymore. I think there's a difference between Texas & the wrest of the southern states. Texas has more old fronteer characteristics than say Alabama.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:39 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyboyrick View Post
Hi

From my experience, Nashville is where it really starts feeling southern (traveling from NYC.)

I agree that Western Texas starts not to feel so Southern anymore. I think there's a difference between Texas & the wrest of the southern states. Texas has more old fronteer characteristics than say Alabama.
Very true! Which is why the application of "Western South" fits very well. A sub-region of the "Greater South" which combines basic Southern history and culture with distinct qualities of the post-bellum frontier "west." Same as, say, Kansas is essentially Midwestern in history and culture...yet contains qualities that are "western frontier" in a way that differentiates from Ohio.

Yet, neither are part of a "West" which is made up of the Interior Southwest nor Rocky Mountain states.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:22 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,298,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Makes real good sense, Westerner! Good post and good points!

I think the most important point to be made is that there is a Southeast, SOUTHwest (Western South), and southWEST. The former two make up the South. The latter is a completely different sub-region of the West.

Certainly, as you say, given a choice, most in your part of west Texas would choose "southwest" over "southeast". The consideration and qualification would be what does one mean by "southwest"? And what states are included?

Most of west Texas and Oklahoma is "western South". Old Southwest that is; where the essential qualities of the South become blended with the frontier west. Not the same as the southWEST of New Mexico and Arizona where there is not anything "Southern" about them.
I was just about to ask about the designation of South for Lubbock. I would say there is Southeastern, Southern, and Southwestern. I think geographically a good indicator would be where the tumbleweeds start appearing.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:51 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,922,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
For Texas, I would actually say Abilene now. I just met somebody from Lubbock that moved out here to Texas last month and we had a conversation. I asked him the random question does he consider himself a Southerner and he quickly said no.

He considers himself Southern in relation to being in the South Plains but nothing like the Southeast. He felt they had more in common with Kansas and Nebraska than Mississippi or Alabama. Now maybe it's just one person but it was very interesting to hear. So I would say Abilene or maybe, just maybe, even Fort Worth.

For Florida, again, it's just hard for me to say that Orlando, Clewiston, Belle Glade, Pahokee, Ft. Myers, and more aren't Southern and they are all South of Gainsville.
These cities are WAAAAAAAAAAAY too small and insignificant to trigger any cultural impact on the waaay LARGER cities in that region of Florida. Those cities are an exception, not the norm. You can't ignore the LARGER cities and the urbanized areas where 95% of SoFla's population lives.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:37 PM

139 posts, read 239,315 times
Yes! My fave city won! I knew R-mond would win! It was the southern capital during the Civil War! GO RICHMOND!

Old 09-05-2010, 01:25 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,856,443 times
How about you get excited when your city wins in real life. I'm not calling Richmond a loser by any means, but you're taking this a little too seriously.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:09 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tej147 View Post
Yes! My fave city won! I knew R-mond would win! It was the southern capital during the Civil War! GO RICHMOND!
Opinions which won't change the fact that Baltimore is the first major city in the south..........

Old 09-09-2010, 12:34 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,922,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Opinions which won't change the fact that Baltimore is the first major city in the south..........
Richmond is the Gateway to the South.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:14 AM

725 posts, read 1,509,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
true...

Old 09-09-2010, 05:41 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,579,296 times
To me - Richmond is a very northeast-centric response.

By that I mean that driving from the northeast, you pass through Richmond and that is where you culturally enter the south.

But living in knoxville, if i go on a road trip, most likely I stay within the south so there is no gateway involved. Or on the rare occasion i drive a bit further afield I might reenter at any number of points so there is no clear gateway.

But if i get on a plane - it is quite likely I will enter the south by way of Atlanta Hartsfield. So to me - Atlanta is the gateway city, even though that makes no sense on the map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.