Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City Is The Gateway To Dixie?
Washington, DC 9 13.43%
Louisville, KY 17 25.37%
Richmond, VA 26 38.81%
Baltimore, MD 2 2.99%
Other 13 19.40%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 10:21 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
I would say Washington DC and its entire DMV metropolis. Not saying it is southern or northern, just saying that is straddles that line between the two.

You see north of there is without question Northern and south of there is without question Southern. Doesn't get more "gateway" than that LOL.

This makes the most sense, although in that instance i wouldn't specify the metropolis as ONLY a gateway to the "South". In turn, I think most people also see it as the gateway going in the other direction as well, although some would say not completely "northern".

IMO the entire stretch of land north of Fredericksburg, VA all the way to Harve de Grace MD is a huge mixed in gray area that is not either clearly northern or southern. It could be labeled honestly as America's transition zone. The lower portion of that zone will show more southern influence than the northern portion obviously.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:40 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I wonder where those stereotypes came from and if any truth in them still exist. Where does the South fall as a region when it comes stats such as income, education, health, density etc.. If it's the worst then it would make logical sense to want to disassociate.
The south is so bad that it is the fastest growing region in the US. People are their beloved Northeastern cities are flocking to the south in droves. What does that actually say about the Northeast?

Old 07-13-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This makes the most sense, although in that instance i wouldn't specify the metropolis as ONLY a gateway to the "South". In turn, I think most people also see it as the gateway going in the other direction as well, although some would say not completely "northern".

IMO the entire stretch of land north of Fredericksburg, VA all the way to Harve de Grace MD is a huge mixed in gray area that is not either clearly northern or southern. It could be labeled honestly as America's transition zone. The lower portion of that zone will show more southern influence than the northern portion obviously.
Not really.

When you cross state line into MD, you're in the south. When you hit Fredericksburg, you're in the old, tired, stereotypical definition of the south. Between the MD state line, and Fredericksburg, you're in an area that people find hard to classify as it doesn't fit their narrow view of what they think the south is; It's the south nevertheless.

The only correct answers in this thread are Louisville KY and Baltimore.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:11 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The south is so bad that it is the fastest growing region in the US. People are their beloved Northeastern cities are flocking to the south in droves. What does that actually say about the Northeast?
You know I can pull data that shows current stats regarding health, education, density etc. I've done it plenty of times already. Where do you think fallibility will fall.. Most likely the West and Northeast. People need to stop acting like the South all of a sudden gained this bad reputation. This has been ongoing for a long time now and this is nothing new.

Last edited by Ebck120; 07-13-2017 at 01:21 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Not really.

When you cross state line into MD, you're in the south. When you hit Fredericksburg, you're in the old, tired, stereotypical definition of the south. Between the MD state line, and Fredericksburg, you're in an area that people find hard to classify as it doesn't fit their narrow view of what they think the south is; It's the south nevertheless.

The only correct answers in this thread are Louisville KY and Baltimore.
Most seem to disagree with you according to the polls here. Baltimore has a measly 3% of the votes.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
You know I can pull data that shows current stats regarding health, education, density etc. I've done it plenty of times already. Where do you think favoribility will fall.. Most likely the West and Northeast.
The north and west don't have a monopoly on anything that you mentioned. I see that you have a very outdated, bigoted view of the south.

Also, the fact is that Baltimore is a southern City/Metro, and that really can't be debated. The poll results suggest that people aren't realistic, which is no surprise there.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
The north and west don't have a monopoly on anything that you mentioned. I see that you have a very outdated, bigoted view of the south.

Also, the fact is that Baltimore is a southern City/Metro, and that really can't be debated. The poll results suggest that people aren't realistic, which is no surprise there.
You ignore stats anyways so won't matter.

My view isn't outdated. It's obvious it's current, do you not see how many debates regarding the South's reputation takes place on here every day? Whether I'm wrong or not, the South's bad reputation is very current. According to you DC is Southern so technically I'm a Southerner with a viewpoint on my own region =)

The Poll results show you are the only one straying from current cultural boundary lines and won't let go of an old boundary. You are in the minority on this thought so no need to deflect by saying everyone else is unrealistic. 2 out of 67 votes is really telling, one of those votes is yours and one other person agrees with you.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:24 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Richmond was the Capital of the Confederacy. It's "monument Ave" is a bunch of confederate statues, has a part of the waterfront named Tabacco Row, and Geographically it's where the east coast becomes a soft coast. Every river from the Potomac south has miles of Marshy lands while northern Rivers like the Hudson or Connecticut have solid land on their banks. This effected where people live every state North of VA the coastal regions have the most population historically and other than NH (due to suburban sprawl and unique state borders) currently.
Richmond was the Capital of the Confederacy. Key word, "was". As in, a run that lasted only four years and ended 152 friggin years ago...

I hate to inform you of this, but you are aware that Maryland has a pretty significant tobacco history themselves, No? So does Pennsylvania. You would be misinformed on your blanket statement about rivers, and Confederate monuments and memorials in the form of streets, places, buildings, and schools, and "other" do exist north of Virginia's border. So I'm not sure of the point you are trying to make, because if those are things that make Richmond as southern as you believe, it looks like there's room under that umbrella for more than just Richmond...

I can only assume that for those of you who find Richmond "undeniably Southern", either a)clearly there is a lack of knowledge of Richmond, Virginia in 2017 and the culture of the city"; b)clearly that person's knowledge of the American South in 2017 is scant; or more likely a combination of the two...

Richmond is southern. Spending time throughout the South gives me pause to call it "undeniably Southern". Spending time in the Northeast affirms that it undeniably isn't Northern. It is in the East Coast North/South transition zone, aka the Mid-Atlantic. It may be one of the Gateways to the South, but it surely isnt the only one and realistically isn't a lock to win this topic. There is no surefire answer to this question...

Old 07-13-2017, 02:36 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,302 times
I'll go with Richmond but the Mason Dixon line technically sits in Southern New Jersey!

Old 07-13-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
You ignore stats anyways so won't matter.

My view isn't outdated. It's obvious it's current, do you not see how many debates regarding the South's reputation takes place on here every day? Whether I'm wrong or not, the South's bad reputation is very current. According to you DC is Southern so technically I'm a Southerner with a viewpoint on my own region =)

The Poll results show you are the only one straying from current cultural boundary lines and won't let go of an old boundary. You are in the minority on this thought so no need to deflect by saying everyone else is unrealistic. 2 out of 67 votes is really telling, one of those votes is yours and one other person agrees with you.
Southern culture isn't uniform because you want it to be. This isn't some monolithic region of the country where every state has the same culture. Hell, Baltimore and DC's culture aren't even similar and they're 40 miles apart. Just look at the fastest growing cities in the country, most of them are in the south (NC and Texas cities particularly). DC's culture might've changed, but the city north of it (Baltimore) hasn't changed, so if it was southern then, by default it is southern now.

If northerners are moving to the south in droves, and the south's reputation hasn't changed, that suggests that northerners aren't any better than southerners.

And no, I didn't vote in this thread's poll, I don't usually vote in any polls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City