Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City Is The Gateway To Dixie?
Washington, DC 9 13.43%
Louisville, KY 17 25.37%
Richmond, VA 26 38.81%
Baltimore, MD 2 2.99%
Other 13 19.40%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 06:56 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,833,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Then why the sudden attack on DC?
It wasn't all of a sudden

"Who is flocking to the southern mecca of Baltimore as you proclaim it to be? "

Old 07-13-2017, 06:59 PM

13,941 posts, read 14,806,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Uh, I didn't say Nascar was more popular than hockey in NY. I said your mentioning of NASCAR as a Southern thing was curious, as if it's popularity is exclusive to the South, considering how popular Nascar is in New York State...

You obviously haven't been looking for them, but just because you haven't seen them, doesn't mean they don't exist. As I mentioned, I don't eat grits either and wasn't looking for them, either, but know there are restaurants that serve them:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rest...obile&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?client...NrNmfgo#xxri=4

There's at least one restaurant in Syracuse that specifically serves grits as a side or by itself, and incidentally, it isn't a "Southern cuisine" restaurant--its called the New York Style Diner. Ahahahaha how's that for irony?

https://www.google.com/search?client...CL9BO78#xxri=6

You're from Rochester, The Red Front is one of several restaurants that will give you grits. It wouldn't be on the menu if it weren't in some form of demand...

https://www.google.com/search?client..._hgqwVc#xxri=7

Same thing with Buffalo...

Hockey is historically a Canadian sport and is at its most popular there, but is it still a Canadian thing? I think not! Nascar and grits, among many other awkward assertions you've given, may be historically rooted to the South---and every single thing that exists has a "root" somewhere--but are now and have long grown from being just a South thang, which is what your examples asserted. Both have popularity far beyond the Souths borders, and I didn't even try to dig up NY City, New England, or PA for you...
These things aren't exclusively Southern but they fade significantly in the North or in Hockey's case as you go South. People speak French in Maine and Spanish in New Mexico because culture bleeds over lines but Maine is not French Canadian, nor is New Mexico Mexican.

In fact calling Virginia anything but Southern is calling the United States a Latin American Country because small regions don't fit the traditional stereotypes of an Anglosphere country.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:08 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,655,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It wasn't all of a sudden

"Who is flocking to the southern mecca of Baltimore as you proclaim it to be? "
But how is that an insult to Bmore at all.. Your DC comments came out of leftfield. And he doesn't even consider Bmore southern so it's irrelevant.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
But how is that an insult to Bmore at all.. Your DC comments came out of leftfield. And he doesn't even consider Bmore southern so it's irrelevant.
Get better at seeing through people's BS.

He took a jab at Baltimore, I took some jabs at DC. That's what gonna happen.

I don't care what he considers southern. The facts state otherwise.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:31 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,017 posts, read 7,392,291 times
Quote:
Facts don't matter if you disagree or not. This isn't an opinion based conversation. Plus, you just realize that people don't know what they're talking about.
PLEASE go back and read the OP of this thread brotha, this ENTIRE thread is opinion based. The only fact of it IS your opinion is in the minority at the tune of 2%. Lol.

Otherwise take your facts to a thread about census designations etc. that support your argument.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:37 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,017 posts, read 7,392,291 times
Quote:
No one took any jabs at anyone. He talks about DC more than myself, MDALLSTAR, and DCsFinest combined, this is 100 percent fact.

His claim to his argument is the South is booming and that is a trait etc, so I asked him a simple question of since the South booms why is Baltimore not booming? Like I was literally looking for a serious answer that he did not provide. This obviously debunks that reasoning of his 2% and "fact" based argument.

I'm sorry 2.99%

Last edited by the resident09; 07-13-2017 at 08:02 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
No one took any jabs at anyone. He talks about DC more than myself MDALLSTAR and DCsFinest combined, this is 100 percent fact.

His claim to his argument is the South is booming and that is a trait etc, so I asked him a simple question of since the South booms why is Baltimore not booming? Like I was literally looking for a serious answer that he did not provide. This obviously debunks that reasoning of his 2% and "fact" based argument.

I'm sorry 2.99%
Oh I know, that's how it logically read and then the random claws came out..

Old 07-13-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
PLEASE go back and read the OP of this thread brotha, this ENTIRE thread is opinion based. The only fact of it IS your opinion is in the minority at the tune of 2%. Lol.

Otherwise take your facts to a thread about census designations etc. that support your argument.
Looks like we have a ton of people who doesn't realize that the south is a diverse as it is. It's ignorance on your part.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Looks like we have a ton of people who doesn't realize that the south is a diverse as it is. It's ignorance on your part.
According to this 97% to be exact and also most experts in this realm.. I've already posted numerous linguistic maps, studies etc to show evidence. Just like you don't like us telling you Bmore is not Southern, we don't like you telling us we are Southern. It's a two way street. And let me emphasize, it's your one man army that has this thought and basically every other resident of this area whether they are from here or moved here has disagreed with you.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:11 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,733,289 times
While this poll is closed I would have voted for Louisville, KY. It shares characteristics of the midwest and the south, and once you get south of this point you are definitely in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City