Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City Is The Gateway To Dixie?
Washington, DC 9 13.43%
Louisville, KY 17 25.37%
Richmond, VA 26 38.81%
Baltimore, MD 2 2.99%
Other 13 19.40%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:44 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,660 times

Advertisements

Atlanta scenery is not southern at all Just being out in Atlanta last night reminded me of the North Like everyday theres something to do. It think Atlanta is the most reconizable city too northerners thats why they flock here in big numbers. the only citys that give me a northern feel is MIAmi and Atlanta the rest ....... well I dont know Everyone wants to come to the A especially the celebs

Old 02-22-2009, 12:50 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Atlanta scenery is not southern at all Just being out in Atlanta last night reminded me of the North Like everyday theres something to do. It think Atlanta is the most reconizable city too northerners thats why they flock here in big numbers. the only citys that give me a northern feel is MIAmi and Atlanta the rest ....... well I dont know Everyone wants to come to the A especially the celebs
Ok are we talking about geographically scenery or socially scenery? Because I'm coming with a different perspective. Oh and Charlotte is now starting to attract Northerners now not because of the north like scenery. But because of the cost of living and the amount of jobs. I don't think they care about club scenes to make a living. It's not like they can do that forever.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:53 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,695,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Oh please. If the scenery of Atlanta is not Southern than Birmingham, Charlotte, Greenville, Columbia, SC, Chattanooga, and Bristol are not Southern either because the scenery is the exact same as Atlanta.
I can only speak from my personal perspective. When I'm in Richmond, Charleston, Savannah, or even Nashville, I feel like I'm definitely in the South.

My experience in Atlanta did not feel Southern to me. Maybe its harsh calling it a Northern city. It obviously is in the Deep South, but lets just say that its lost that Southern feeling.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:48 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,660 times
Quote:
Ok are we talking about geographically scenery or socially scenery? Because I'm coming with a different perspective. Oh and Charlotte is now starting to attract Northerners now not because of the north like scenery. But because of the cost of living and the amount of jobs. I don't think they care about club scenes to make a living. It's not like they can do that forever.

No it doesnt look like a Northern city but yes the social scene it some parts of Atlanta give you a northern like feel one being marta when you are downtown going underground catching trains during rush hours etc that makes me feel like im up north no other place in the south Has a real subway system that travels underground Not only downtown but many other parts of the city when you at Atlantic station that feels very northern Atlantic station looks like its own lil city you can walk, shop eat work and live and have easy access to train( walking distance) that felt very northern to me. Oh and have one of my fabvorite northern stores H&M which no other city in the South has and wait till LOEWs hotel is built (12th and midtown project ) thats going to set the MIDtown mIle off which very much going to give you a northern feel

Old 02-22-2009, 02:16 PM

Well I don't see how that's different from what the other three major Southern cities have. Dallas and Houston have a Western and Midwestern feel to them since so many people from the West Coast and Chicago, Detroit, and Milwaukee are flooding into Texas. But geographically, Atlanta is as Southern as it can be. BTW, Dallas has a subway and I'm not talking about a sandwich shop.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Well I don't see how that's different from what the other three major Southern cities have. Dallas and Houston have a Western and Midwestern feel to them since so many people from the West Coast and Chicago, Detroit, and Milwaukee are flooding into Texas. But geographically, Atlanta is as Southern as it can be. BTW, Dallas has a subway and I'm not talking about a sandwich shop.
There's no question that Atlanta is in the South. But sometimes Geography, doesnt always indicate culture. Florida is as far one can go in the South, yet only Northern Florida feels "Southern".

Old 02-22-2009, 02:22 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Oh please. If the scenery of Atlanta is not Southern than Birmingham, Charlotte, Greenville, Columbia, SC, Chattanooga, and Bristol are not Southern either because the scenery is the exact same as Atlanta.
Exactly.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:25 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
when you at Atlantic station that feels very northern Atlantic station looks like its own lil city you can walk, shop eat work and live and have easy access to train( walking distance) that felt very northern to me.
Developments like Atlantic Station are nearly ubiquitous these days. I don't see how the development can be classified regionally in terms of feel.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:37 PM

To strengthen Richmond's Southern case:

-Richmond is 75 miles from NC. The three R's in NC were: Reading, Writing, and The Road To Richmond.

Richmond is actually as culturally linked with NC as it is with Central VA. Because before Charlotte, it was the closest Major City to the NC region.

We still today have many people come here from NC to get jobs. Coupled with Richmond's own Southern traditions, NC transplants brough theirs too.

If you go to the counties just South of Richmond, you start to hear a NC accent influence as well.
Our close proximity to NC, has made us part of the Eastern NC region.

http://www.gracereformedbaptist.org/RM-map.gif (broken link)

Old 02-22-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Developments like Atlantic Station are nearly ubiquitous these days. I don't see how the development can be classified regionally in terms of feel.
Exactly. Developments such as Atlantic Station are going up in any large economically growing city in the South. Besides, the only thing Atlanta is doing is trying to catch up on it's dense housing stock. In other words, catch up with Savannah, Charleston, and New Orleans. You know, the "Southern" cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City