Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 12:30 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
I think Houston considers places like Dallas and Atlanta bigger rivals than vice versa. Especially if C-D message board is a barometer.

Las Vegas vs Reno
We all like your feeble attempt to try and start a flame war. Why not answer the OP question instead of trying to start arguments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 12:35 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,167 times
Austin and College Station
Ann Arbor and Columbus
Auburn and Tuscaloosa
Athens and Gainsville
Norman and Austin
Eugene and Corvallis
Lincoln and Boulder
Durham and Chapel Hill
Washington and Dallas
New York and Boston

These are all huge sports rivalries of course

Old 02-21-2009, 12:40 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
NYC - Chicago when it comes to food, skylines and crime
What? This perceived rivalry exist only in Chicago. New York real life rivalry is with London for financial and theater world domination. New York is the safest big city in America and abundance of VIPs and celebrities living here keeps the food quality apart from the rest of the country with an exception of Hollywood, maybe. Money buys quality. New York has also twice that many building over 400ft as Chicago so it is even hard to compare the skylines.

There is as much real rivalry between Chicago and New York as there is between the Cubs and the Yankees

New York and London.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:59 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,190,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
New York and London.
New York vs. London vs. Paris vs. Tokyo

Old 02-21-2009, 01:08 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
I think Houston considers places like Dallas and Atlanta bigger rivals than vice versa. Especially if C-D message board is a barometer.

Las Vegas vs Reno
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
We all like your feeble attempt to try and start a flame war. Why not answer the OP question instead of trying to start arguments?
My initial statement was an OPINION; note how I began with: I think, that was in line with the subject matter of this thread and of previous posts. What's more, I did directly answer the OP's question.

Next.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:11 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
What? This perceived rivalry exist only in Chicago. New York real life rivalry is with London for financial and theater world domination. New York is the safest big city in America and abundance of VIPs and celebrities living here keeps the food quality apart from the rest of the country with an exception of Hollywood, maybe. Money buys quality. New York has also twice that many building over 400ft as Chicago so it is even hard to compare the skylines.

There is as much real rivalry between Chicago and New York as there is between the Cubs and the Yankees

New York and London.
I'm sorry, I couldn't help but respond to this. If anyone reads any Chicago vs. New York threads, they will see you very prominently there bashing Chicago like it's your job. Anyone who bashes Chicago all the time like you do, must feel a rivalry. You can't deny it. You just can't. And if you do, you're in serious denial.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:23 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
you must've not been here when hurricane katrina hit. The fued is still going strong today, particularly in the black community.
There is no rivalry between the black communities of Houston and New Orleans. Especially since both cities have family members between each other in both cities. That was basically idiotic criminals against idiotic criminals. Hardly constitutes deserving of a rivalry between the two cities. If so, many New Orleans wouldn't have stayed in Houston but obviously that is not the case as many of them have made their homes there.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:28 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Actually you'll see most of the houston vs. threads weren't started by houstonians. You guys see the words Houston and automatically assume a houstonian created the thread.
Well in his defense, he wasn't particularily talking about starts threads. It's about what happens IN those threads that gives him the reason to make that comment. And at times, some Houstonians do come off as very brash, defensive, and arrogant at times.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:55 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well in his defense, he wasn't particularily talking about starts threads. It's about what happens IN those threads that gives him the reason to make that comment. And at times, some Houstonians do come off as very brash, defensive, and arrogant at times.
Did you experience Houstonians to be this way in person or only on this board? It's sad if people base their opinion of millions of people on a few posters on this board. I've yet to see people here in Houston boasting about how great Houston is. The city pretty much sucks and most Houstonians know that. We live here for job opportunities and affordable housing. The posters on this forum tend to be very proud of their cities which is why they decided to register to this forum and post on here everyday. Most people in Houston are nothing like the people posting in this forum.

Sometimes I wish people here were more brash and arrogant. Maybe things would get done a lot faster here. I've noticed people here to be more laid back which seems to make everything move at a slower pace. Much slower than I would prefer. You mention that we are defensive. Who exactly do we defend ourselves against? Maybe Dallas, but that has to do with how often we are in contact with the people in Dallas.

I guess I'm just curious of where in Houston you encountered all these brash, defensive and arrogant people.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:14 PM

259 posts, read 543,098 times
Well I will say that there has to be something between Chicago and New York considering that out of the top 4 largest cities in the country those two are the most alike...(Im not getting into which one is better because this isn't what the thread is about)...to me it seems like the cities (on both chicago and new york's side) compete on the following

1. Food...you have the battle of the Hot Dogs, Thin Crust vs Deep dish pizza..and ethnic food in general! Chicago has a plethora of greasy food joints I mean they are everywhere! you have them right across the street from eachother and 2 and 3 on one city block and New York has the ever famous street vendors as well as the food joints and they both have in my opinion the best high end restaurants in the country

2. Architecture...what two cities compete more in these category...Chicago started off the skyscrapers and New York has made a BIG mark in that category..These two skylines are arguably the best the country has to offer

3. NBA...aside from the nasty rivalry the Bulls have with the Pistons the Knicks would also be another team the Bulls have bad blood with

4. High School basketball...Now these two cities put out the BEST talent as far as basketball is concerned..Matter of fact a few years back Chicago and New York use to play each other in the Wendy's Basketball sponsored annual game. The allstars high school ballers from Chicago would take on the one's from New York each year

So considering all of this and more Chicago and New York would be two cities with a rivalry

Dallas and Houstan is bad also lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City