Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 06:03 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
People stayed here because they don't a home or enough money to go back to NO. If you lived here you'd see New Orleans and Houston still got issues with eachother. This is not only a problem in Houston, but in other places in Texas as well.
Doesn't make it a rivalry. A rival is somebody that you compete with. Houston in no way shape or form competes with New Orleans for anything other than maybe the port and even that is slight.

What you are describing is just an unfortunate situation that would happen in any urban center. When you take the population of urban center and you plop them down on another huge populated urban center, you will have problems. But that does not make it a rivalry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 06:07 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
NY AND cHIAGO ARE NOTHING ALIKE

Old 02-21-2009, 06:59 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
NY AND cHIAGO ARE NOTHING ALIKE
They more than you think. And it doesn't affect a rivalry.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:22 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I agree with you. On this forum there is definitely a Houston vs Atlanta rivalry but outside of this forum the rivalry is with Dallas.

I totally understand why so many people dislike Houston on this thread because there are a few posters on here who waste so much time boasting about how Houston is so great and how it is better than other cities. They definitely make the rest of us level headed Houstonians look bad. I just want everyone to try to look past those posters and see that all of us are not like them. Sometimes I find myself defending Houston when I see someone post false information about it but then I realize it just feeds the Houston boasters appetites to start boasting about how Houston is #1. Most of the time it just makes me not want to even enter a thread about Houston. I just wish I could delete that thread I started a loooooong time ago about "the capital of the south". I hate that thread so much. It's become the home base of the Houston boasters. For some reason they just can't let that thread die.
New Yorkers and Chicago folks do it far worse than we do and no one says anything. I think that it is a total double standard

Old 02-21-2009, 07:30 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
They more than you think. And it doesn't affect a rivalry.
There is no Chicago - New York rivalry. Chicago my try to catch up with New York. nothing else.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:44 PM

767 posts, read 2,065,898 times
La - sf

Old 02-21-2009, 08:26 PM

188 posts, read 477,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
There is no Chicago - New York rivalry. Chicago my try to catch up with New York. nothing else.
Chicago is the only other city in the US that has close enough attributes to create a rivalry. And Chicago catching up to NYC is possible closer than you think. There are a TON of buildings being built in chicago as we speak. Not to mention there is a good amount of land that can still be developed. NYC is out of room unless they start taking down massive buildings

Old 02-21-2009, 08:33 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,632,486 times
As a NYer, I can really say that NYC doesn't have a rivalry with Chicago fron a NYC POV. Chicago is nearly a thousand miles away from the city, and most NYers know little to nothing of the city. With that said, I will say there is a de facto rivalry when it comes to the skylines.

My other personal NYC rivalries:

Sports:
NYC and Boston. NYC and Philly. NYC and New Jersey. NYC and Miami. NYC and LA.
Finance: NYC and London. NYC and Hong Kong. NYC and Tokyo.
Entertainment. NYC and LA. NYC and London.
Arts and Culture: NYC and London. NYC and Paris.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:43 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonra25 View Post
Chicago is the only other city in the US that has close enough attributes to create a rivalry. And Chicago catching up to NYC is possible closer than you think. There are a TON of buildings being built in chicago as we speak. Not to mention there is a good amount of land that can still be developed. NYC is out of room unless they start taking down massive buildings
Skyline? Who really cares about it? New York gets 45M tourists a year and no tall building in Chicago will change the fact that it is facorite urban toursit destination in the US. There is no rivalry as nobody cares about Chicago in New York that much. Chicago is not threatening NY's status as capitol of finance, arts and media. There is no rivalry.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:56 PM

125 posts, read 448,180 times
Reading, PA vs Trenton,NJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City