Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 11:45 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Oh shut up you slimy can of New York City overflowing,stinking,rotting garbage content.
Go Cubs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 12:04 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,180 times
Or White Sox. They've won more recently than the Yankees.

Or the Bulls, who won more recently and more frequently than the Knicks ever have, and actually beat the Knicks head-to-head several times while doing it.

Neither New York nor Chicago have much over the other in sports. Boston, on the other hand...

Old 02-22-2009, 12:07 PM

259 posts, read 543,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Or White Sox. They've won more recently than the Yankees.

Or the Bulls, who won more recently and more frequently than the Knicks ever have, and actually beat the Knicks head-to-head several times while doing it.

Neither New York nor Chicago have much over the other in sports. Boston, on the other hand...
quite true

Old 02-22-2009, 12:15 PM

356 posts, read 808,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
I'm wondering what two cities historically do you think have the biggest rivalries and why
Boston/NY

I hate Boston with a f--king passion and if everybody from Boston died in a fire I wouldnt give a s--t.

I hate the Red Sox. I hate all Red Sox fans. I hate everybody in New England (even though I live in CT I live in the "Tri-State" part...everybody east/North of Fairfield County who roots for the Red Sox). I hate those accents. I hate Samuel Adams. I hate Dropkick Murphys. I hate Boston the band. I hate Harvard, BC, BU, and any college in Boston I didnt mention.

Have you ever met somebody from Boston who doesnt have a HUGE drinking problem? I mean seriously. Everybody there drinks, and drinks, and drinks until they **** themselves.

I hate every Red Sox player all time who isnt named Wade Boggs, Johnny Damon, or Bill Buckner.

I cry every time the Yankees beat the Red Sox. Tears of JOY! I am the biggest Boston hater in the WORLD!!!! LETS GO YANKEES!!!!!!

Now if we can get international for a second Liverpool/Manchester and Manchester/London is pretty big.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:30 PM

259 posts, read 543,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesGiantsRangersNYK View Post
Boston/NY

I hate Boston with a f--king passion and if everybody from Boston died in a fire I wouldnt give a s--t.

I hate the Red Sox. I hate all Red Sox fans. I hate everybody in New England (even though I live in CT I live in the "Tri-State" part...everybody east/North of Fairfield County who roots for the Red Sox). I hate those accents. I hate Samuel Adams. I hate Dropkick Murphys. I hate Boston the band. I hate Harvard, BC, BU, and any college in Boston I didnt mention.

Have you ever met somebody from Boston who doesnt have a HUGE drinking problem? I mean seriously. Everybody there drinks, and drinks, and drinks until they **** themselves.

I hate every Red Sox player all time who isnt named Wade Boggs, Johnny Damon, or Bill Buckner.

I cry every time the Yankees beat the Red Sox. Tears of JOY! I am the biggest Boston hater in the WORLD!!!! LETS GO YANKEES!!!!!!

Now if we can get international for a second Liverpool/Manchester and Manchester/London is pretty big.
wow lol pretty harsh

Old 02-22-2009, 12:33 PM

Yeah its a pretty big deal. It goes beyond baseball.

This website actually banned me before because my screename was BostonSucks181.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:51 PM

14 posts, read 35,463 times
It does seem like Boston-NY is the biggest. It goes well beyond baseball. It suprises me that cities of such different sizes can maintain a rivalry but I have met several people from New York who feel a rivalry with Boston (although not quite to the extent of YankeesGiantsRangersNYK) despite being so much larger.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:53 PM

Boston starts everything. They try and match up to us but they never will.

They will always be inferior to us. It is NOT even close. Lamest city I've ever been to.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:55 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I'm not from New York, but I am from the Northeast and grew up less than 100 miles from New York. I know many Chicagoland natives won't believe this, but in all honesty most people who live in or near the Northeast Corridor/Megalopolis have very little awareness of Chicago or think about Chicago unless A) they are originally from the Chicago area or within 300 miles of Chicago, B) have family or friends that live in the Chicago area, or C) have interest in U.S. cities and/or geography. I've had interest in geography my entire life (and have a degree in the subject) and heck, I didn't think that much about Chicago until I was in my mid-20's.

I realize there are many people out there who continually want to compare Chicago to New York, or say Chicago is a rival of New York, but the reality is most people who live in/near the East Coast cities (not just New York but also Philadelphia, Boston, etc.) don't think about Chicago that much, except when it comes to sports and a Chicago team is winning or the Cubs find a way to remain lovable losers. That's not to say Chicago isn't an excellent city, an important city, or a big city, it's to say Chicago isn't a particularly high profile city to people on the East Coast.
This has been my experience. Chicago simply is off the radar screen for a lot of people. Most people here would rather travel to someplace different than smaller version of their own area.

IMHO opinion rivalries get started for 4 major reasons:
1. Desire for respect and acknowledgement from an older larger city.
2. Regional rivalries
3. Sports
4. Jealously or desire

Old 02-22-2009, 01:14 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
This has been my experience. Chicago simply is off the radar screen for a lot of people. Most people here would rather travel to someplace different than smaller version of their own area.

IMHO opinion rivalries get started for 4 major reasons:
1. Desire for respect and acknowledgement from an older larger city.
2. Regional rivalries
3. Sports
4. Jealously or desire
Good points.

I think part of the lack of awareness of Chicago in the Northeast is the fact that the cities there are geographically closer and have more in common with each other than they do with Chicago.

The Boston/ NYC rivalry is fun, especially with sports. I'm on the Boston end of this and love to hate Yankee fans and enjoy the competition. It's amazing how just when you think it couldn't get any crazier than it's already been, it gets worse. 2004 ALCS was one of the more incredible sports events I had ever witnessed. I said the same thing after we came up on the short end of the 2003 ALCS. The Superbowl last year was an incredible game and one of the toughest losses I've witnessed in my life, but an incredible game no less.

I think that for most part, there's a tremendous respect between the cities ( though YankeesGiantsRangersNYK will probably disagree ) and that makes it all the more fun. Let's face it, it wouldn't be as fun to be a Sox fan if Tampa Bay was the biggest rival. It wouldn't be fun to be a Yankee Fan if they had to cheer, "Baltimore Sucks!" As fun as it is to "hate" each other, I'd hate it even more if there were no Yankees, or no New York to hate on.

As far as Boston "wanting to be like New York." This is frequently mentioned among Boston haters and I don't get it. Boston may be geographically close to NYC, but most people here want to be as different from NYC as they possibly can. That's no slight on New York, New York is a great city and a massive one. Boston is just different and we like it that way. When new buildings get proposed, many times opposition cries out that, "That will lead to the 'Manhattanization' of Boston, we don't want that!" Boston's a very different city and I don't know where people get the idea that Bostonians want to, "be like NYC" because it's just not at all true in any regard.

In fact, it's so untrue, that I believe it's a major reason for the rivalry. Bostonians try to NOT be like NYC (again, nothing against NYC, just a desire to maintain Boston's character). This, combined with the geographic closeness makes for some differing viewpoints and fierce competition in many areas.

Philadelphia shares more similarities with NYC than Boston does. It's closer to NYC's size, the layouts are similar (planned grid), and it's simply phyisically closer to New York than Boston is. However, Boston and NYC have a far more fierce rivalry (in all aspects). I think that much of this has to do with Boston's desire to be separate and distinct from New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City