Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:43 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesco White View Post
I live in the DC Metro amongst many MD grads, you can't fool me about CP & PG. I'm aware that college park can be quite nice.. until the sun goes down.

As for your definition of a good college town, you're correct, it shouldn't be quaint or quiet. It should be devoted to the university community as a whole. While the "town" of College Park may seem to fit that definition in your limited world view, I would suggest that College Park is actually just the campus, with a few straggling bars and restaurants to the sides.

Morgantown is anything but quiet, and we most certainly don't consider "Mud wrassling" as a pastime. The University community of 28,000 most certainly has a great many activities to choose from, ranging from the typical outdoorsy park sort of stuff to awesome bars, clubs, live music, massive house parties, excellent basketball and football (tonight's game notwithstanding.. ). As I stated before, the town itself is consistently ranked one of the top small cities in the nation, and we also don't have to carry weapons to protect ourselves. As I said, you may be bitter about a football game in morgantown or something else, but your biased statements hold no water. Lock up tight tonight, you're in PG!
Oh so you're one of the ones that perpetuates the baseless negative sterotypes of PG County. I don't care where in the DC Metro you live and who your friends are, because you apparently don't have a clue about College Park, and whatever my "limited world views" are I know more about CP than you judging by your definition of "a town with straggling bars and restaurants" to the sides. The mud-wrassling thing was obviously a joke, and rivalry biases aside you're kidding yourself if you think there's more to do in Morgantown than in College Park or DC which is 15min away on the Metro lol. Maybe you're talking about their ranking by the Princeton Review as the #1 Party school a few years ago (UMD was also in the top 5). I have friends that go/went to WVU and the only thing they did on the weekend was get plastered, or go to a football game. When football season ends the place is as boring as hell.

Nearly every "crime" in College Park has to do with ignorant or naive students who virtually set themselves up. Things like walking alone half drunk at 3am, leaving the windows open over Christmas break, or lending a stranger your cellphone are many of the dumb things that lead to crime. The worst crimes you'll see in College Park are sexual assault and assault. Shootings are extremely rare, and I don't think there's ever been a murder in the town (or at least not for the past few decades IIRC). Also, the FDA research center, the only IKEA in the region, the College Park Airport (the oldest in the world), the hq of the American Physics Society, the National Archives HQ, are a few things you can add to your list of businesses in College Park behind "a few straggling bars and restaurants."

In all honesty College Park isn't the best college town, and probably isn't even in the top 20, but there are still many great things about it and I love it, and it isn't some washed up "ghetto in PG County" as you portray it to be. Besides rural campuses should be compared to rural campuses, and urban/surburban campuses should be compared to urban/suburban campuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:12 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
College Park is a nice area...anyone who thinks it's a ghetto has obviously never been there.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:35 PM

384 posts, read 1,413,423 times
Denton Texas

Signs of Life 2008: Best Music Scene - Denton, Texas :: Music :: Features :: Paste

Old 11-12-2009, 03:29 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,840,928 times
Go TCU Horned Frogs!!!!!

Old 11-12-2009, 03:55 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times

YouTube - University of Colorado at Boulder: Aerial of the campus Boulder isn't a bad town to attend college.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:12 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,151,683 times
Ithaca is a true college town. Ithaca is a small city of about 30,000 and in that city they have two famous universities. Cornell and Ithaca college. Cornell has more enrolled alone. There must be somewhere between 45 and 55,000 college students in a city of only 30,000. Entire metro area of Ithaca is only 100, 000. Not counting college students.

Ithaca is a true college town. Their economy thrives on it and I have witnessed over the years the growth of that community which would not have seen any growth if it weren't for the colleges and the money they bring in.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:04 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,652,074 times
Athens, GA!!!!!

Old 11-13-2009, 04:53 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,501 times
Bloomington, Indiana needs to be mentioned a lot more!

Along with Austin, Boulder, Berkeley, and Madison, it's one of the "weirdest" and funnest college towns in the country!

Fantastic and beautiful scenery (IU and it's surrounding hills), great variety of local eateries (both Ethnic and American), local owned businesses dispersed all over downtown, two microbreweries, two wineries, great nightlife (over 15 different bars in it's small downtown), great music scene, and friendly atmosphere. It also has the fifth highest per capita population of same sex couples in the country.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:51 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
I vote for America's College Town - Boston, Mass

Old 11-14-2009, 08:55 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Chapel Hill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City