Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Southern State Has the Strongest Southern Accent?
Alabama 87 21.12%
Mississippi 119 28.88%
Louisiana 35 8.50%
Georgia 36 8.74%
Florida 6 1.46%
Tennessee 29 7.04%
Texas 21 5.10%
North Carolina 18 4.37%
South Carolina 22 5.34%
Arkansas 15 3.64%
Kentucky 14 3.40%
Virginia 10 2.43%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 06:15 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You mean none of them have a stereotypically southern accent. Southern accents come in many different sounds, and Baltimore is just another one of those types.
See why I didn't bother to begin with?

That aside, his channel is great if you like that kinda stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 06:27 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
See why I didn't bother to begin with?

That aside, his channel is great if you like that kinda stuff.
I saw one of his videos a few months ago about an abandoned department store in Baltimore. The block that he filmed on, if I'm not mistaken, is getting redeveloped in the very near future.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:58 AM

6 posts, read 7,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Where in Mississippi did you go? I remember ordering food from a Wendy's in Pearl, MS years ago, and the accents were so strong, I could barely understand them
I don't really recall. I took a road trip through Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas. Mississippi was just passing through, but I didn't hear anything super strong. Noticeable, yes, but not very strong compared to where I am in Georgia.

I actually live very near the Georgia/Alabama border. I'd imagine the further west you go, the more you lose the accent. Arkansas has a very faint accent for the most part, and Mississippi shares a border. In contrast, Georgia shares borders with South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, and North Florida. Alabama is similar.

I've personally heard very strong accents from Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, and West Virginia. They're all pretty different, though. South Georgia (I'm wondering about South Alabama if anyone has ever been there?) is incredibly strong. (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLCtq-P1dLA) (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8fR2TgPhkg) My mom's family is from South Georgia. Middle Georgians (where I'm from) often have a softer, prettier accent. My aunt, for example, sounds just like Flannery O'Connor. (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdAbQaWNI7M)

I myself have been told my accent is pretty strong. When I went up to the University of Georgia to study, there were several people who had trouble understanding me--even people from Atlanta! I never thought about accents before then. The student population in Athens wasn't very strong accent wise, but the maintenance workers for UGA had a very thick accent, similar to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKujzXUMhZI

I'm really interested in accents. I listened to an old man talking from Waynesville, NC. Pretty average in my neck of the woods, to be honest. I find that there is a muddled quality to the speech in strong Georgian accents that I haven't heard elsewhere. Of course, Georgia does have the metro Atlanta area, but there are plenty of cities "in" the metro area that really have quite thick accents.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:17 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,154,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
I live in AL but to me the southern accents in Kentucky, WV, Tn, and NC's mountainous regions have the strongest accents.
Yep ! And I believe the votes for Alabama and Mississippi come from those who are not from the south and are voting off of assumptions and not experience.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Yep ! And I believe the votes for Alabama and Mississippi come from those who are not from the south and are voting off of assumptions and not experience.
Well my vote was for MS and was based on experience.

The southern Appalachian accent is strong but it's not "the southern accent", so to speak. Likewise, the accent of Western Massachusetts is powerful but does not really reflect a large portion of northern speech.

In terms of both southern black and southern white as well as a touch of Acadian Louisiana, Mississippi is the exemplary state of well known southern accents. Which to me, makes it the strongest candidate to represent the greater region.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:07 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I'd have to disagree with that because with Alabama and Mississippi, you're talking about the accents of both Whites and Blacks. There aren't too many Black folks in the hills of Appalachia...practically nonexistent outside of sizable cities.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Well my vote was for MS and was based on experience.

The southern Appalachian accent is strong but it's not "the southern accent", so to speak. Likewise, the accent of Western Massachusetts is powerful but does not really reflect a large portion of northern speech.

In terms of both southern black and southern white as well as a touch of Acadian Louisiana, Mississippi is the exemplary state of well known southern accents. Which to me, makes it the strongest candidate to represent the greater region.
I admittedly don't know much about how much black accents differ from each other, but how is Mississippi an exemplary state for white Southern accents?

Old 03-16-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsjd View Post
I don't really recall. I took a road trip through Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas. Mississippi was just passing through, but I didn't hear anything super strong. Noticeable, yes, but not very strong compared to where I am in Georgia.

I actually live very near the Georgia/Alabama border. I'd imagine the further west you go, the more you lose the accent. Arkansas has a very faint accent for the most part, and Mississippi shares a border. In contrast, Georgia shares borders with South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, and North Florida. Alabama is similar.

I've personally heard very strong accents from Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, and West Virginia. They're all pretty different, though. South Georgia (I'm wondering about South Alabama if anyone has ever been there?) is incredibly strong. (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLCtq-P1dLA) (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8fR2TgPhkg) My mom's family is from South Georgia. Middle Georgians (where I'm from) often have a softer, prettier accent. My aunt, for example, sounds just like Flannery O'Connor. (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdAbQaWNI7M)

I myself have been told my accent is pretty strong. When I went up to the University of Georgia to study, there were several people who had trouble understanding me--even people from Atlanta! I never thought about accents before then. The student population in Athens wasn't very strong accent wise, but the maintenance workers for UGA had a very thick accent, similar to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKujzXUMhZI

I'm really interested in accents. I listened to an old man talking from Waynesville, NC. Pretty average in my neck of the woods, to be honest. I find that there is a muddled quality to the speech in strong Georgian accents that I haven't heard elsewhere. Of course, Georgia does have the metro Atlanta area, but there are plenty of cities "in" the metro area that really have quite thick accents.

Sorry, I didn't link the correct Flannery O'Connor video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQT7y4L5aKU

Old 03-16-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsjd View Post
I admittedly don't know much about how much black accents differ from each other, but how is Mississippi an exemplary state for white Southern accents?
Well it's pretty centralized in the south. In the northern part of the state you have your Tennessean drawl, the "midland south" accent. In the body of the state you have your Alabama/Georgian kind of accent with a hint of western south. And at the river and to the southern portion you have the Louisiana bayou and "regal southern" accents. You also have your overall "modern southern" which is influenced by big media, which is generally Midwestern-neutral.

I don't think any other southern state has as many examples of the south in its borders as Mississippi does.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Well it's pretty centralized in the south. In the northern part of the state you have your Tennessean drawl, the "midland south" accent. In the body of the state you have your Alabama/Georgian kind of accent with a hint of western south. And at the river and to the southern portion you have the Louisiana bayou and "regal southern" accents. You also have your overall "modern southern" which is influenced by big media, which is generally Midwestern-neutral.

I don't think any other southern state has as many examples of the south in its borders as Mississippi does.
I'm not quite so sure. I can't speak to Mississippi, but I know Georgia has quite a few accents. You can see the South GA accent I posted above is quite different than the North GA accent or the Middle GA accent. And even regional accents vary. I am in no way saying this is unique to Georgia. Instead, I'd imagine many states differ in accents depending on the region.

Where I live in Middle Georgia, there is a softer accent than what you find in other parts of the state. It's interesting, though, because there is that non-rhotic accent--similar to Larry Walker here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8qrXFksRAI
or Flannery O'Connor from my last post.

But, there's also a distinctly rhotic version. More "hick" maybe.

South Georgia has a lot of variation in accent. I've posted a man from South Georgia who sounds remarkably similar to my mom's family. But Paula Deen is also from South Georgia, and she sounds nothing like this. Neither of them sound like Middle Georgia.

Older people from Atlanta also have a very heavy drawl. I know a gentleman from Atlanta. He's 83 or so now, and he has one of the thickest drawls you'll ever hear. Speaks very, very slowly. It's different than you'd imagine Atlanta today.

This is Margaret Mitchell's cousin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvUazY2iTwM
She speaks pretty slowly, too.

Then of course there are all the accents that haven't been captured on YouTube, lol. I'm sure Mississippi is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City