Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer? (Why?)
Scranton, PA 29 53.70%
Richmond, VA 25 46.30%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:48 PM

9,172 posts, read 13,253,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Cool architecture in Scranton. I love those houses.
One of the reasons I picked Scranton.

Still we know not all the blocks look quite like these pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 07:49 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Bring back "you got a friend in Pennsylvania" license plates!

Scranton your last photo (the Impeach Bush photo heh) shows a better license plate than most of the boring blue/yellow striped ones I see all the time. So bring back the old ones!
It was especially ironic when someone driving a vehicle emblazoned with one of those old "You've got a friend in Pennsylvania" license plates would flip you the bird in traffic! LOL! PA is cursed with a pretty boring license plate. I always thought a nice design would be to have several different images that would incorporate different facets of the state---Liberty Bell, a deer, a snow man, Pittsburgh incline car, a Hershey kiss, the Nittany Lion, etc.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:49 PM

362 posts, read 1,058,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Scranton, or more accurately the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area (which is what most people consider that area to be), is a lot bigger than Roanoke. The U.S. Census treats the two cities and their surrounding areas as one urbanized area (which includes only the built up areas of a metropolitan area, rather than including entire counties, including the rural/non-urbanized areas).

The main reasons why Luzerne County has a much higher population than Lackawanna County are A) Luzerne is a much bigger county area-wise (probably roughly twice as large, maybe more) and B) the Hazleton area chips in to help the Wilkes-Barre area make Luzerne County's population large.
Doesn't mean the population is spread over the entire county. The population is centered around WilKes Barre. Scranton proper is listed first because it has 20k more than Wilkes Barre.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Still we know not all the blocks look quite like these pictures.
Psha! Just wait until I do my "Scranton Blight" Photo Tour! The Hill Section (first residential neighborhood shown) is especially indicative of this. You can have stately mansions inhabited by the city's elite in one block bordered by run-down student housing in the next block and drug houses in the next block followed by more upscale areas. It's a truly "diverse" neighborhood. LOL!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:55 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,696,080 times
Beautiful Richmond, Virginia:

http://www.lindenrowinn.com/images/frontbanner3.jpg (broken link)

http://www.richmondneighborhoods.org/images/unionhillstreet.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-22-2009, 07:57 PM

657 posts, read 1,505,125 times
Every time you show these pics of Richmond you might as well show us pics of Hartford.

You'd make a lousy lawyer.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:57 PM

Darn it! I've been outdone! Time to whip the camera back out! LOL! Beautiful pictures! I look forward to visiting Richmond in the likely case I'm relocating to NoVA.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Every time you show these pics of Richmond you might as well show us pics of Hartford.

I'm not so sure about that. A few of those images truly did underwhelm me, but that first image still has me almost licking my PC monitor!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:59 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,696,080 times
Quote:

Are you kidding? Hartford has beautiful rowhouses like Richmond, Charleston, and Savannah?

Okay.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
Doesn't mean the population is spread over the entire county. The population is centered around WilKes Barre. Scranton proper is listed first because it has 20k more than Wilkes Barre.
To be fair Wilkes-Barre in and of itself has made tremendous redevelopment strides over just the past three years. Mayor Leighton has been doing a phenomenal job reinventing Wilkes-Barre into a true "college town." We now have a bustling entertainment district in Center City with a Barnes & Noble, Starbuck's, 14-screen theater, performing arts center, upcoming riverfront park, and numerous night clubs. Even the mayor's wife will soon be opening a new gift shop, and a former Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Penguins hockey player, Dennis Bonvie, is opening a Blue Chip Gourmet franchise. On the flip side outside of the historic district near Wilkes University the residential architecture in the rest of the city is largely underwhelming and bland---a ton of little white aluminum-sided miners' homes piled atop one another. If Wilkes-Barre had the same kind of attractive housing stock that many Scranton neighborhoods has, then it would be in much better shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City