Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer? (Why?)
Scranton, PA 29 53.70%
Richmond, VA 25 46.30%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times

Advertisements

Wilkes-Barre has managed to kill yet another thread! WOOO!!! Way to go, Diamond City! Keep dragging down your Northern sister! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 11:18 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,492,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Every time you show these pics of Richmond you might as well show us pics of Hartford.

You'd make a lousy lawyer.
I agree. That looks exactly like Hartford, which is in the North

I vote for Scranton PA

Old 02-24-2009, 05:29 AM

125 posts, read 448,401 times
Gotta back my state in any endeavor.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:02 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,010,497 times
Richmond. Scranton has extremely poor infrastructure, a dead downtown, one of the worst climates in the country, low higher education attainment rates, little diversity, a very provincial population, an ugly built environment, gaunt and downtrodden looking people, and is NOT growing.

Richmond has a much more agreeable climate, a nicer downtown with some ACTUAL redevelopment occurring, is closer to the beach, has much more diversity, has a glut of attractive homes in both the city and suburbs, is closer to the beach, is closer to real mountains, has a very rich and interesting history, has a larger "old money" population, and it has several respectable universities.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:17 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Are you kidding? Hartford has beautiful rowhouses like Richmond, Charleston, and Savannah?

Okay.
Yes, with the nations oldest Rose Garden in the mix along with some rediculously gorgeous archetecture around and palacial homes in the West End.

Rose Garden Image

Moreover, if you compare apples to apples and cover the same geographical area as Richmond, the Hartford area really opens up to much more.

Richmond is one of the dirtiest, run down, has been cities I think of on the Eastern Seaboard. Okay maybe that belongs to Bridgeport CT, but it's damn close IMO.

Everytime I stay in Richmond (Most times not by choice, but simply because I can't make it another hour North without falling asleep behind the wheel) I am reminded that outside of those few pictures floated around the place is run down and "gritty" like a chain smoker.

Last trip through (Nov 08) I had to go to 3 hotels before finding one that wouldn't make feel like I would catch somthing. All old and run down. Breakfast in the morning at the run down nasty Wafflehouse listening to the tacky lady with the Dolly Parton hair talk loud enough for the entire place to hear and the haggard white trash waitress with the tattoes on her neck was just par for the course.

I couldn't get out fast enough.

Richmond to me is like brackish water. You get the grit of the North and the tackyness of the South without the positives of either.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:11 AM

362 posts, read 1,058,277 times
OMG, can't believe this poll is still going on. Scranton is a out of the way little town that no one talks about besides in here. It looks like nice, has some nice places, but come on already.

I have driven through Richmond, it didn't seem like anything special, but I didn't get off the freeway. Comparing downtowns, Richmond looks like a major city, and Scranton looks like a town.

I'm surprised Scranton is wining in the polls, people must prefer small towns. I will say there is nothing wrong with small towns.

Last edited by mikey1984; 02-24-2009 at 11:51 AM..

Old 02-24-2009, 11:28 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,696,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Yes, with the nations oldest Rose Garden in the mix along with some rediculously gorgeous archetecture around and palacial homes in the West End.

Rose Garden Image

Moreover, if you compare apples to apples and cover the same geographical area as Richmond, the Hartford area really opens up to much more.

Richmond is one of the dirtiest, run down, has been cities I think of on the Eastern Seaboard. Okay maybe that belongs to Bridgeport CT, but it's damn close IMO.

Everytime I stay in Richmond (Most times not by choice, but simply because I can't make it another hour North without falling asleep behind the wheel) I am reminded that outside of those few pictures floated around the place is run down and "gritty" like a chain smoker.

Last trip through (Nov 08) I had to go to 3 hotels before finding one that wouldn't make feel like I would catch somthing. All old and run down. Breakfast in the morning at the run down nasty Wafflehouse listening to the tacky lady with the Dolly Parton hair talk loud enough for the entire place to hear and the haggard white trash waitress with the tattoes on her neck was just par for the course.

I couldn't get out fast enough.

Richmond to me is like brackish water. You get the grit of the North and the tackyness of the South without the positives of either.
Your description of Richmond sounds foreign to me. I actually live in Richmond! I know the city inside and out.
Where is all this dirty part you are talking about???

Have you ever seen the Fan or Monument Ave? Church Hill? Shockoe Slip?

Belle Island? Maymont Park??

Grit of the North? I cant find any places in Richmond like that but a few along Jeff Davis HWY

Richmond is nowhere near as dirty !

I live in Richmond!!!!

Have people even seen Richmond??

And if anything, the North is much tackier than the South on any day of the week.

Richmond is refined and genteel, like many Southern cities.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1984 View Post
OMG, can't believe this poll is still going on. Scranton is a out of the way little town that no one talks about besides in here. It looks like nice, has some nice places, but come on already.

I have driven through Richmond, it didn't seem like anything special, but I didn't get off the freeway. Comparing downtowns, Richmond looks like a major city, and Scranton looks like a town.

I'm surprised Scranton is winning in the polls, people must prefer small towns. I will say there is nothing wrong with small towns.
Richmond is hardly a "major" city. Its a medium sized city at best. Its a population of 200,000.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:44 AM

These are beautiful pics of Richmond. They show that it is not the "hell hole" you make it out to be.
A few photos of Richmond, Virginia- Part 1 - SkyscraperCity

Old 02-24-2009, 11:51 AM

362 posts, read 1,058,277 times
Looks like, doesn't mean it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City