Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:34 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers115 View Post
It goes from total ghetto to million dollar houses in one block...kinda amazing to me.
The whole south in general has that... you can have a 300,000 dollar house (which is nice in SC) next to a trailor

AWFUL ZONING
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 11:37 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers115 View Post
It goes from total ghetto to million dollar houses in one block...kinda amazing to me.

Lol...you've gotta be born into it to really 'get it' I guess. The best I can explain it is that at one time, those run-down houses were nice.
Then populations changed ( think of the Irish,Italian etc population change in some Northern neighborhoods) they were re-used and re-purposed, and eventually got to be run down.

However, in order to preserve as many historic buildings as Charleston has, there is a law that no building older than 75 years can be torn down by anything other than natural causes.
Good side-Many of the beautiful homes you see date back almost 200 years.
Bad side- The ugly stays too.

And Im going to add this too. Why is living in a "trailer" so bad to you two? There are actually some well-to-do people that live in very nice ones simply because they're often cheaper than your standard brick-and-mortar house.
Methinks you're thinking of the run-down looking stereotypes.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:46 PM

See? Some arent terrible. And look! No coon hounds or broken cars.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Lol...you've gotta be born into it to really 'get it' I guess. The best I can explain it is that at one time, those run-down houses were nice.
Then populations changed ( think of the Irish,Italian etc population change in some Northern neighborhoods) they were re-used and re-purposed, and eventually got to be run down.

However, in order to preserve as many historic buildings as Charleston has, there is a law that no building older than 75 years can be torn down by anything other than natural causes.
Good side-Many of the beautiful homes you see date back almost 200 years.
Bad side- The ugly stays too.

And Im going to add this too. Why is living in a "trailer" so bad to you two? There are actually some well-to-do people that live in very nice ones simply because they're often cheaper than your standard brick-and-mortar house.
Methinks you're thinking of the run-down looking stereotypes.
If a trailor is all that someone can afford then thats all that they can afford.... I would never make fun of someone for not having money

BUT, trailors belong in trailor parks, apartments belong in apartment complexes, houses belong in neighborhoods with other houses, etc

I dont want to buy a house and have a fear that someone is going to put a trailor next to me... it lowers the value of my house for resale

Old 02-23-2009, 11:51 PM

lol I know what having a trailer next door does, and that makes sense. But then again Ive never seen anyone living in a nice sub-division up and decide to put a trailer in their backyard either.

Besides, even if they did try it, if enough of the neighbors had a hissy fit then something would be done about it.Somebody would pull a string or two in the background and put a stop to it then. Its not what you know down here...its who.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
lol I know what having a trailer next door does, and that makes sense. But then again Ive never seen anyone living in a nice sub-division up and decide to put a trailer in their backyard either.

Besides, even if they did try it, if enough of the neighbors had a hissy fit then something would be done about it.Somebody would pull a string or two in the background and put a stop to it then. Its not what you know down here...its who.
I live in a neighborhood and no there never would be a trailor anywhere in my development. I am talking about other people

On my way to the grocery store..... I see house, trailor, house, trailor, trailor, house.

I dont know what you call that.... These houses and trailors are not in neighborhoods. I guess its just people that bought the land so they can do whatever they want with it. But thats what I am saying is that there should be more zoning laws.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
I live in a neighborhood and no there never would be a trailor anywhere in my development. I am talking about other people

On my way to the grocery store..... I see house, trailor, house, trailor, trailor, house.

I dont know what you call that.... These houses and trailors are not in neighborhoods. I guess its just people that bought the land so they can do whatever they want with it. But thats what I am saying is that there should be more zoning laws.
Me? I call it diversified. Depending on the age of these places, the trailer might have been there before the house.

LOL OoOh you'd see alot of ruffled feathers at the mere mention of re-zoning or anything of the sort. I do believe they've tried a few times.
I myself have the mindset of "If I bought it, I'll put what I want on it".
Are you originally from NYC?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:26 AM

208 posts, read 1,217,448 times
Everywhere in WV that isnt near Virginia, they are stuck back in time by 40 years...

1) Alabama
2) Mississippi
3) Louisiana
4) Arkansas
5) South Carolina ( North Carolina is loosing its culture quickly)

Old 02-27-2009, 11:30 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
The whole south in general has that... you can have a 300,000 dollar house (which is nice in SC) next to a trailor

AWFUL ZONING
Show me ANY area that has a $300,000 home sitting next to a trailEr. I have never seen such a thing...but maybe it's the false impression someone has when he has never been out of his home state.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:33 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01va571 View Post
Everywhere in WV that isnt near Virginia, they are stuck back in time by 40 years...

1) Alabama
2) Mississippi
3) Louisiana
4) Arkansas
5) South Carolina ( North Carolina is loosing its culture quickly)

Cultures change over time and with new technology, along with many other factors. These changes aren't kept a secret from the states listed above - southern culture has grown and changed in these states as well.

It doesn't mean that any area is losing its 'southernality' (I'm pretty sure that isn't a word)...it just means the southern culture is changing with the times. Can everyone just accept that fact?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City