Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SOUTHERN FLORIDA versus SOUTHWEST USA
SOUTHERN FLORIDA 17 36.17%
SOUTHWEST USA (AZ,NV,NM) 30 63.83%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 06:29 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,181,569 times

Advertisements

Classic battle....but two places I am equally interested in...

SOUTHERN FLORIDA vs SOUTHWEST USA (AZ,NV,NM)...

Which one would you prefer and WHY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
To live in, neither, but Florida would be marginally more tolerable climate-wise.

For scenery, def the Southwest with the desert, mountains. Florida has the Everglades and beaches though.

Both seem to be full of sprawling suburbia and strip mall; both have that Hispanic feel.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,485 times
I've had enough of hurricanes to last a lifetime.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:23 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,533,702 times
It's like humidity vs arid

Ok...hurricanes vs sand storms? lol

....what's you're preference?

Old 02-28-2009, 12:31 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,827 times
I like both, but would choose Florida at the end of the day. All these kidnappings going on in Arizona, and illegals in the SW, makes me a little uneasy about the area.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:40 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,939 times
In terms of weather, a Southwestern summer is generally far more tolerable than a Florida summer. Dry heat is more tolerable than humid heat any day of the week. Also, no hurricanes to worry about. Southern Florida does have the ocean though and I must admit I would take beaches and ocean over desert any day of the week. So, I'm still scratching my head on this one

Old 02-28-2009, 12:58 AM

768 posts, read 1,759,207 times
Default They are more alike than differant...

I have lived in Florida and currently reside in AZ. In many ways are very similar. Currently both states are suffering from the current housing market though Florida does have a more diversified economy and AZ is totally dependent on housing. Both attract a large number of retirees and snow birds. Florida has more small-to-medium-to-metro cities, while Arizona has Phoenix and then two medium-size towns (Tucson, Yuma), a two small ones Flagstaff and Prescott...and that's pretty much it. Arizona has a really poor public education system with a couple of small public universities. Florida educational systems are a bit more sophisticated. English as a second language mandated by the federal government has about bankrupted public education funding in AZ.

AZ is hot in the summer...like hell, but worse. Forget that dry heat vs. humid heat thing...for 8-12 weeks AZ has temps in the triple digits DAY AND NIGHT. Some years there is rain (what the natives lovingly call the "monsoon" season) and can be anywhere from .05 inches to ???. Some years it does not rain AT ALL. Most winters in AZ a mild - but not always...I've experienced snow flakes AND frost in Phoenix. Basically there are two seasons in AZ - winter and summer. Arizona catches on fire...alot. Florida has hurricanes and yes, can get cold in the winter. After four years in AZ...I've decided hurricanes are easier to deal with.

While FL and AZ both have issues with illegal immigration...Arizona is fast becoming a war zone. Phoenix is dangerous and people live behind brick fences and closed doors. The gangs are taking over Arizona and people are genuinely afraid. I am amazed at the increases in crime since I have lived here. Most crimes go unreported as the police are over-taxed and police reports for non-violent crimes are serviced over the telephone. I don't know about you, but if I have been a victim of a crime, taking a police report over the telephone and receiving a copy of such in the mail - only pisses me off more.

Florida has no personal income taxes. Florida has nice beaches. Florida has great farming and fishing industries. Maybe its the beaches but the island attitude is more prevalent (think Jimmy and Parrotheads) in Florida. Arizona is much more like the wild, wild, west and don't shoot until you see the whites of their eyes. Owning and carrying a firearm is not only a way of life, but a good idea if a long life is important to you. With enough money and desire to live gated and guarded, you can be very safe in AZ.

I can't wait to get back to the east coast!

Old 02-28-2009, 07:04 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,260 times
I like both, but I voted southwest because that's where I plan on moving this summer.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:13 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
If you would like to live in a steam room that is filled to capacity with mean-spirited people, then I highly recommend southern Florida.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:44 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
I much prefer the US southwest. There is so much more to see and I love the desert and how the mountains are a pretty red color. You have decent weather and very low humidity. Within a 2 hour drive you can go from the hot desert to skiing. When i was in Las Vegas, we drove into the mountains outside the city. It was about 95 in Las Vegas, and after driving about 30 minutes we climbed elevation and it was about 75 degrees. You can escape the desert heat anytime you want. My parents live in south FL, and there's nowhere else to really go. To go skiing or see snow, you need to take a 2 hour plane ride.

Also, I hear there's a mountain peak that has skii lodges just outside of Las Vegas. I heard it only takes about an hour to drive to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City