Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:14 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,721,894 times

Advertisements

Yeah! Ranked in the top 25! Go California!

Oh wait. This is not college basketball. Never mind...

Old 04-09-2009, 09:24 AM

Default Moidah was the case

I probably live within five to ten miles of an area which undoubtedly raises the murder rate in California all on its own. It is known for Latino gangs and most of the killing is gang related with periodic and tragic innocent bystander deaths (stray bullets?). Rarely, in 40 plus years, has that violence come the five miles northeast to my hood which is considered safe by city standards. It would be interesting to see more specifically where a given area, within a state, has high murder rates and where the rates are low.

There is no doubt that ethnicity plays a role in homicides but so does economics, education and drug use. In supressed economic / urban areas (parts of LA, DC, the South), murder rates are higher regardless of race.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:36 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
But that's not what he's saying. The violence in Georgia is spread out more than most places is his point. It's not just the inner city. You have alot of crime take place in the suburbs of Atlanta. You have lots of violence in Georgia's small cities and even in some of it's rural towns.
That is what he's saying, but it isn't factual information. It's one person's opinion on crime in Georgia. I wouldn't say that very much crime at all takes place in the suburbs of Atlanta, nor in the small cities of Georgia. Atlanta accounts for the majority of crime in Georgia, I'm sorry to say. The cities mentioned are not necessarily small and aren't necessarily "struggling with crime":

Albany(pop. 79,000) - 8 murders in 2006, 8 murders in 2007
Macon (pop. 98,000) - 12 murders in 2006, 22 murders in 2007
Savannah (pop. 130,000) - 29 murders in 2006, 26 murders in 2007
Columbus (pop. 186,000) - 17 murders in 2006, 24 murders in 2007
Athens (pop 113,000) - 5 murders in 2006, 7 murders in 2007

Compared to other cities of similar size:
Elizabeth NJ - 17 murders in 2006, 16 murders in 2007
Hartford CT - 24 murders in 2006, 31 murders in 2007
Columbia SC - 17 murders in 2006, 16 murders in 2007
Charleston SC - 23 murders in 2006, 18 murders in 2007
Flint MI - 54 murders in 2006, 30 murders in 2007
Syracuse NY - 12 murders in 2006, 19 murders in 2007

Old 04-09-2009, 09:40 AM

925 posts, read 2,606,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
It doesn't surprise me either. The South has always had a culture of violence.
Really? Source?

Quote:
Most people won't say anything about that. I read an article from the NY Times about crime in the South and it does have an interesting point. One thing to look at is that those 9 states were also slave states.
Meaning high black population. Black areas in the north also have high crime rates. You can't see the forest from the trees.

Quote:
Keeping up the institution of slavery requires alot of cruelty, so many of the slave owners were cruel to their slaves to scare the slaves and to make the submit. After slavery ended, Reconstruction came. There was alot of animosity towards the fact the black people were now free and that the Reconstructionist governments were giving rights to blacks.
And how long ago did this all occur? Is this relevant to today's time?

Quote:
That is how the KKK was formed. They started to perpetrate acts of violence to intimidate blacks.
This occurred one hundred years ago. What relevance is there to today?

Quote:
After the Reconstructionist governments ended, blacks were now in a state worse than second class.
No worse off than they were in slavery in their native Africa. Probably better, considering that they had modern housing, clean water, and in some instances electricity, something of which their brothers on the African continent could only dream of.

Quote:
Black codes were enacted to "keep blacks in their place" as many people wanted it. If a black person committed a crime against a white person, that black person was often punished harder than what would be considered normal.
The law condemned criminals, both black and white. Public hangings were held for criminals, both white and black. More whites were hanged than blacks.

Quote:
If a black person committed a crime against another black person, the law usually looked the other way. Many blacks learned through process of elimination that they could get away with killing another black person, but they could not do anything to a white person. This could be a big part of why black on black crime is very serious.
Why is the murder rate much higher in their native Africa?

Check out what's occurring in South Africa.

YouTube - New South Africa - a country ruled by criminals

Quote:
The South has a history of violence. States like Wisconsin and Minnesota didn't have as much of a culture of violence.
They also have a much lower black population, and blacks are much more likely to commit crime than whites.

The FBI Uniform Crime Reports are available on the Internet at

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Uniform Crime Reports.

In one of these reports, titled Crime in the United States, 1995, we can draw several interesting conclusions from Table 2.8. In 1995, there were 10032 US murders having a single perpetrator and a single victim.
Of these murders, Blacks committed 5175 (51.6%) and "Whites" committed 4476 (44.6%).

Black offenders account for 56 percent of arrests for murder
[FBI, Crime in the United States].

similar statistics hold for the black share of offenders under age 18, with a
59.5 percent share of murder arrests for black youths

Blacks commit ..... 60% of all murders in the U.S. (32) (27) (6)

6.Buckley, William F. syndicated column, Jan. 5. 1993
27.Simpson, William Gayley. Which Way Western Man? 1978, National Alliance Press, Box 3535, Washington, D. C.20007
32.Taylor, Jared, Paved with Good Intentions: The Failure of Race Relations in Contemporary America. 1992, Carrol & Graf. New York, NY

Quote:
Those places were not slave states. Their economies didn't have the use for slavery. For this case, cruelty towards other human beings wasn't as rampant. Interestingly enough, both states do not have the death penalty. The death penalty is widespread in the South.
34 states have the death penalty. Most northern states have the death penalty.

New Hampshire, Connecticut, Pennslyvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Delaware, and New Jersey all have the death penalty. New Hampshire still has hanging as an option.

By the way, do you think that murderers should not have to pay for the crimes that they've committed? What about someone who has murdered many people?

Quote:
In fact, Texas has executed more people than any other state and yet it has one of the highest murder rates in the nation. It tells me the death penalty won't deter crime.
Texas has a high Hispanic/Mestizo and black population. 32% Mestizo and 11% black.

Last edited by City Fanatic; 04-09-2009 at 10:09 AM..

Old 04-09-2009, 11:21 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
I see a correlation between race and murder rates. Of course, more populated states will likely have more murders, but they will vary, based upon the demographic components of the states.
Correlation is not causation. There are other factors to consider.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:55 AM

pirate_lafitte originally said:

Correlation is not causation. There are other factors to consider. [End Quote]

Like coincidence for instance.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Really? Source?

Meaning high black population. Black areas in the north also have high crime rates. You can't see the forest from the trees.

And how long ago did this all occur? Is this relevant to today's time?

This occurred one hundred years ago. What relevance is there to today?

No worse off than they were in slavery in their native Africa. Probably better, considering that they had modern housing, clean water, and in some instances electricity, something of which their brothers on the African continent could only dream of.

The law condemned criminals, both black and white. Public hangings were held for criminals, both white and black. More whites were hanged than blacks.

Why is the murder rate much higher in their native Africa?

Check out what's occurring in South Africa.

YouTube - New South Africa - a country ruled by criminals

They also have a much lower black population, and blacks are much more likely to commit crime than whites.

The FBI Uniform Crime Reports are available on the Internet at

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Uniform Crime Reports.

In one of these reports, titled Crime in the United States, 1995, we can draw several interesting conclusions from Table 2.8. In 1995, there were 10032 US murders having a single perpetrator and a single victim.
Of these murders, Blacks committed 5175 (51.6%) and "Whites" committed 4476 (44.6%).

Black offenders account for 56 percent of arrests for murder

similar statistics hold for the black share of offenders under age 18, with a
59.5 percent share of murder arrests for black youths

Blacks commit ..... 60% of all murders in the U.S. (32) (27) (6)

6.Buckley, William F. syndicated column, Jan. 5. 1993
27.Simpson, William Gayley. Which Way Western Man? 1978, National Alliance Press, Box 3535, Washington, D. C.20007
32.Taylor, Jared, Paved with Good Intentions: The Failure of Race Relations in Contemporary America. 1992, Carrol & Graf. New York, NY

34 states have the death penalty. Most northern states have the death penalty.

New Hampshire, Connecticut, Pennslyvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Delaware, and New Jersey all have the death penalty. New Hampshire still has hanging as an option.

By the way, do you think that murderers should not have to pay for the crimes that they've committed? What about someone who has murdered many people?

Texas has a high Hispanic/Mestizo and black population. 32% Mestizo and 11% black.
Most of the black areas in the North with higher crime rates also have higher poverty rates and higher unemployment rates. Did you ever think about that?
The areas in the North with large black population that don't have high crime rates are often middle to upper class areas. Look up Lathrup Village,MI.

Slavery and other cruelties may have happened a long time ago, but some things get passed down from generation to generation. Even after slavery ended, there were still alot of injustices committed and such things have only recently been fought(when I mean recent I mean 40 to 50 years ago). Certain attitudes and habits still get passed down.

When I said second class citizens, I meant blacks in the South didn't have any rights and they were subject to all kinds of cruelty. Most blacks in the South after Reconstruction were poor and probably didn't have running water or electricity. Some did if they lived in the towns. The only reason Blacks in America have it better today is because they stood up and fought for their rights. No one gave the their rights. In fact, there were no plans to give blacks the same rights as everyone else. Blacks had to protest their treatment and stand up to the system.

The law may have condemned both blacks and whites, but blacks were often penalized harder. In some cases, the lynch mobs would get to them.

The murder rate in Africa might be higher because Africa is full of poverty. The places that are often the poorest often have higher murder rates. Russia has a very high murder rate.

I already know what has been going on in South Africa. The video was talking about a nation ruled by criminals. Do you see the middle to upper class people killing each other? No. It is mainly the poor and South Africa has alot of poor blacks, therefore, the likelihood of a higher murder rate is very high. There was violence in South Africa before the change in government. In many ways, South Africa mirrors places like the Old South. Places known for their oppresion. Blacks in either places were denied basic rights. I think what you need to do is read books on South African history and American history. Do some research. Things are not as simple as they look. And by the way, South Africa does not have less blacks. It is majority black. There are just more whites in South Africa than most African nations.

As for the statistics you presented, there is one thing you didn't take into account. While blacks might committ more murders, blacks are also more likely to be murdered than anyone else. Most crimes committed by blacks are often against other blacks.

New Jersey does not have the death penalty anymore and New Hampshire has not used the death penalty since 1976. Your research is outdated. While most of the USA has the death penalty, as well as some of the northern states, all of the South(except West Virginia) uses the death penalty as well as most of the western states. The example I was talking about was Wisconsin/Minnesota, which DO NOT have the death penalty.

I do think murderers should be punished for their crimes. I don't believe in the using the death penalty as an option. Life in prison is appropriate. Leaving them to think about their crimes for the rest of their lives is a way to punish them. The death penalty is not an effective crime deterent.

Texas also has other issues, such as higher poverty rate.

Last edited by green_mariner; 04-09-2009 at 12:43 PM..

Old 04-09-2009, 02:46 PM

93,169 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Most of the black areas in the North with higher crime rates also have higher poverty rates and higher unemployment rates. Did you ever think about that?
The areas in the North with large black population that don't have high crime rates are often middle to upper class areas. Look up Lathrup Village,MI.

Slavery and other cruelties may have happened a long time ago, but some things get passed down from generation to generation. Even after slavery ended, there were still alot of injustices committed and such things have only recently been fought(when I mean recent I mean 40 to 50 years ago). Certain attitudes and habits still get passed down.

When I said second class citizens, I meant blacks in the South didn't have any rights and they were subject to all kinds of cruelty. Most blacks in the South after Reconstruction were poor and probably didn't have running water or electricity. Some did if they lived in the towns. The only reason Blacks in America have it better today is because they stood up and fought for their rights. No one gave the their rights. In fact, there were no plans to give blacks the same rights as everyone else. Blacks had to protest their treatment and stand up to the system.

The law may have condemned both blacks and whites, but blacks were often penalized harder. In some cases, the lynch mobs would get to them.

The murder rate in Africa might be higher because Africa is full of poverty. The places that are often the poorest often have higher murder rates. Russia has a very high murder rate.

I already know what has been going on in South Africa. The video was talking about a nation ruled by criminals. Do you see the middle to upper class people killing each other? No. It is mainly the poor and South Africa has alot of poor blacks, therefore, the likelihood of a higher murder rate is very high. There was violence in South Africa before the change in government. In many ways, South Africa mirrors places like the Old South. Places known for their oppresion. Blacks in either places were denied basic rights. I think what you need to do is read books on South African history and American history. Do some research. Things are not as simple as they look. And by the way, South Africa does not have less blacks. It is majority black. There are just more whites in South Africa than most African nations.

As for the statistics you presented, there is one thing you didn't take into account. While blacks might committ more murders, blacks are also more likely to be murdered than anyone else. Most crimes committed by blacks are often against other blacks.

New Jersey does not have the death penalty anymore and New Hampshire has not used the death penalty since 1976. Your research is outdated. While most of the USA has the death penalty, as well as some of the northern states, all of the South(except West Virginia) uses the death penalty as well as most of the western states. The example I was talking about was Wisconsin/Minnesota, which DO NOT have the death penalty.

I do think murderers should be punished for their crimes. I don't believe in the using the death penalty as an option. Life in prison is appropriate. Leaving them to think about their crimes for the rest of their lives is a way to punish them. The death penalty is not an effective crime deterent.

Also, many of the states with lower violent crime rates are less urban.

Then, people seem to overlook the drunk driver and reckless driving death thing. When combined, they kill more people in a given year. Check this out:Table 1 - Crime in the United States 2007 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/data/table_01.html - broken link)

Drunk driving statistics

Old 04-09-2009, 03:07 PM

925 posts, read 2,606,218 times
Quote:
Did you ever wonder why poor whites don't have high crime rates, or why poor Asians don't either?

Poverty, you still say? Let's take a look at the state of West Virginia.

West Virginia Almanac from NETSTATE

Lowest crime rate in America:
Crimes Reported per 100,000 (1992-1993) 2,532.6 Rank 51st
Violent Crimes 208.4 Rank 48th
Almost the lowest per capita income:
Per capita income (2000)
Source:Bureau of Economic Analysis, U.S. Department of Commerce $21,738 Rank 49th
Disposable personal income per capita (2000)
Source:Bureau of Economic Analysis, U.S. Department of Commerce $19,156 Rank 49th

Median income of households(1993) $22,421 Rank 50th
West Virginia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

West Virginia - 95% White, 3.2% Black
Median household income, 1999 $29,696 (USA National Average - $41,994)
Per capita money income, 1999 $16,477 (USA National Average - $21,587)
Persons below poverty, percent, 1999 17.9% (USA National Average -12.4%)

As of 2003 West Virginia blacks accounted for just 3.2% of the total population and 34.9% of the total prison poulation.

Quote:
Why are impoverished white areas not war zones? Why is it that you have to cherrypick one black area in order to find one that has a relatively low crime rate?

Quote:
Slavery and other cruelties may have happened a long time ago, but some things get passed down from generation to generation.
What gets passed down from generation to generation? Not working and expecting the government to "give you a free lunch"? Complaining without improving things for yourself?

Quote:
Even after slavery ended, there were still alot of injustices committed and such things have only recently been fought(when I mean recent I mean 40 to 50 years ago).
What injustices? The injustice against the majority white population, which loses out in the name of affirmative action in government contracts, hiring, college acceptance?

What injustices toward the black population are you talking about? I don't know of any.

40-50 years ago is recent?

Quote:
Certain attitudes and habits still get passed down.
Welfare dependency and blaming whitey does get passed on, as well as the lower IQ, which causes a lack of success, which then causes more welfare dependecy and blaming whitey, and the cycle repeats itself.

Quote:
When I said second class citizens, I meant blacks in the South didn't have any rights and they were subject to all kinds of cruelty.
What cruelty? Blacks in the U.S. have it far better than blacks on the African continent every had it.

Quote:
Most blacks in the South after Reconstruction were poor and probably didn't have running water or electricity. Some did if they lived in the towns.
What century is this? Are blacks going to continue to complain, decade after decade about this supposed injustice, long after any injustice, which many other groups have also had to deal with, is over.

Quote:
The only reason Blacks in America have it better today is because they stood up and fought for their rights. No one gave the their rights. In fact, there were no plans to give blacks the same rights as everyone else. Blacks had to protest their treatment and stand up to the system.
Then good for them. Now that they've been given their rights, it's time to stop complaining.

Quote:
Lynch mobs only sought criminals, whatever color they were. Stop trying to make a victim out of a criminal.

Quote:
I stated overall crime rate. Do you honestly think that a hole in the wall country in Africa keeps accurate statistics of all the killing occurring out in the bush? LoL

Do you see this in any civilized country?

YouTube - The Cannibals' War - Liberia
or this

YouTube - The trade with body parts (cannibalism)

Quote:
I already know what has been going on in South Africa. The video was talking about a nation ruled by criminals.
So, you're saying that the ruling black government is filled with criminals?

Quote:
Do you see the middle to upper class people killing each other?
Do you see any white people committing any of the murders?

What's West Virginia's poverty rate and crime rate? Oh yeah, high poverty rate, low crime rate.

Quote:
No. It is mainly the poor and South Africa has alot of poor blacks, therefore, the likelihood of a higher murder rate is very high.
It's the same in every majority black major city. Poverty is rampant in 99.9% of black majority areas on Earth. Why? Even in areas where whites don't live.

Quote:
There was violence in South Africa before the change in government. In many ways, South Africa mirrors places like the Old South. Places known for their oppresion. Blacks in either places were denied basic rights.
Look what has happened since Apartheid ended? Both blacks and whites are worse off. The black woman in the video says that modern day South Africa is horrible.

The Old South was as dangerous, as corrupt, as crime-filled? Hardly.
I didn't realize that whites sent gangs out into black neighborhoods and murdered them in cold blood. The same is happening in neighboring Zimbabwe (formerly Rhodesia).

Quote:
I think what you need to do is read books on South African history and American history. Do some research.
I have. I've done my research, and you clearly haven't. You fail to allow yourself to admit what the statistics, what reality, and what common sense indicates.

Quote:
Things are not as simple as they look. And by the way, South Africa does not have less blacks. It is majority black. There are just more whites in South Africa than most African nations.
South Africa is a much smaller country, and its black population dwarfs the white population, which is only around 4 million.

Quote:
Correct

Quote:
And you think that criminals should be free to live, even if they were serial killers. You've got a heart for a cold blooded killer, I suppose. How "progressive".

Quote:
Most murderers have no conscience. Otherwise, they wouldn't have done what they did. They're not going to feel bad for what they've done. They only care about themselves, so the only thing that'll scare them is the idea of their very own life being taken.

Quote:
Which is caused by a high Mestizo and black population.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Did you ever wonder why poor whites don't have high crime rates, or why poor Asians don't either?

Poverty, you still say? Let's take a look at the state of West Virginia.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Lowest crime rate in America:
Crimes Reported per 100,000 (1992-1993) 2,532.6 Rank 51st
Violent Crimes 208.4 Rank 48th
Almost the lowest per capita income:
Per capita income (2000)
Source:Bureau of Economic Analysis, U.S. Department of Commerce $21,738 Rank 49th
Disposable personal income per capita (2000)
Source:Bureau of Economic Analysis, U.S. Department of Commerce $19,156 Rank 49th

Median income of households(1993) $22,421 Rank 50th
West Virginia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

West Virginia - 95% White, 3.2% Black
Median household income, 1999 $29,696 (USA National Average - $41,994)
Per capita money income, 1999 $16,477 (USA National Average - $21,587)
Persons below poverty, percent, 1999 17.9% (USA National Average -12.4%)

As of 2003 West Virginia blacks accounted for just 3.2% of the total population and 34.9% of the total prison poulation.

Why are impoverished white areas not war zones? Why is it that you have to cherrypick one black area in order to find one that has a relatively low crime rate?

What gets passed down from generation to generation? Not working and expecting the government to "give you a free lunch"? Complaining without improving things for yourself?

What injustices? The injustice against the majority white population, which loses out in the name of affirmative action in government contracts, hiring, college acceptance?

What injustices toward the black population are you talking about? I don't know of any.

40-50 years ago is recent?

Welfare dependency and blaming whitey does get passed on, as well as the lower IQ, which causes a lack of success, which then causes more welfare dependecy and blaming whitey, and the cycle repeats itself.

What cruelty? Blacks in the U.S. have it far better than blacks on the African continent every had it.

What century is this? Are blacks going to continue to complain, decade after decade about this supposed injustice, long after any injustice, which many other groups have also had to deal with, is over.

Then good for them. Now that they've been given their rights, it's time to stop complaining.

Lynch mobs only sought criminals, whatever color they were. Stop trying to make a victim out of a criminal.

I stated overall crime rate. Do you honestly think that a hole in the wall country in Africa keeps accurate statistics of all the killing occurring out in the bush? LoL

Do you see this in any civilized country?

YouTube - The Cannibals' War - Liberia
or this

YouTube - The trade with body parts (cannibalism)

So, you're saying that the ruling black government is filled with criminals?

Do you see any white people committing any of the murders?

What's West Virginia's poverty rate and crime rate? Oh yeah, high poverty rate, low crime rate.

It's the same in every majority black major city. Poverty is rampant in 99.9% of black majority areas on Earth. Why? Even in areas where whites don't live.

Look what has happened since Apartheid ended? Both blacks and whites are worse off. The black woman in the video says that modern day South Africa is horrible.

The Old South was as dangerous, as corrupt, as crime-filled? Hardly.
I didn't realize that whites sent gangs out into black neighborhoods and murdered them in cold blood. The same is happening in neighboring Zimbabwe (formerly Rhodesia).

I have. I've done my research, and you clearly haven't. You fail to allow yourself to admit what the statistics, what reality, and what common sense indicates.

South Africa is a much smaller country, and its black population dwarfs the white population, which is only around 4 million.

Correct

And you think that criminals should be free to live, even if they were serial killers. You've got a heart for a cold blooded killer, I suppose. How "progressive".

Most murderers have no conscience. Otherwise, they wouldn't have done what they did. They're not going to feel bad for what they've done. They only care about themselves, so the only thing that'll scare them is the idea of their very own life being taken.

Which is caused by a high Mestizo and black population.
West Virginia also doesn't have any big cities either. You also might want to consider that many crimes committed in rural areas don't get reported. And most of the crimes are in the urban areas anyway.

I think you shoud read this:Race and Crime--Stuntz (Less than the Least)

The injustices I am talking about are slavery, and Jim Crow racism. As for affirmative action, the biggest beneficiaries of affrimative action are not minorities, but white women. Here is proof:Focus on Affirmative Action (http://www.aapf.org/focus/episodes/oct30.php - broken link)

40-50 years ago is kind of recent considering that this nation isn't that old.

Welfare dependency has been around for ages and that wasn't what I was talking about.

Blacks have it better NOW than blacks in Africa have it, but for a first world nation, not that good.

Blacks have been subjected to the injustices the longest.

Lynch mobs shouldn't exist, period.

No particular "race" came up with poverty or invented it. Poverty has been in every civilization. At on time Europe was impoverished and in decline during the time of the plague and there were African civilizations that were on the rise. Go read a book on European history and African history. Now it's the other way around. Many people are in poverty for other reasons.

According to yourself, you believe that race will determine what kind of person you will be from birth. I don't believe a word of it.

As for the cannibalism, that has been practiced on other continents, not just Africa. I will admit that it is wrong and it is morally repulsive. We can agree on that. What I don't agree on is that race would determine if a person would become a cannibal or not. As for the body parts trade, that is repulsive too. You also should think about Jeffrey Dahmer, an American who killed people and ate the body parts. He is only one mentionable person, but to say that race would determine that is disturbing and very wrong.

Comment in italics: I was not talking about the government. I was talking about the streets of Johannesburg.

As for the women who says that she doesn't like the new South Africa, here is the problem. There has been no trickle down of resources. You can't have a society of a few elite and alot of impoverished people without expecting crime. People have their rights now. What they also need is economical help as well. South Africa might be relatively rich, but its wealth isn't even distributed nor does it trickle down easily. South Africa needed to get rid of apartheid.

The Southeast USA has always had corruption in the government, especially Louisiana. What I was talking about was that blacks in both the Deep South and South Africa were treated like second class citizens or worse for a long time. What kind of government is it where certain people are treated like second class citizens solely on the basis of skin color? I will tell you, an oppressive society.

Last edited by Yac; 01-16-2014 at 08:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City