Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Empire State Building VS The Sears Tower
Empire State Building 197 60.62%
Sears Tower 128 39.38%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:08 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,897 times

Advertisements

Not a fair comparison lol
Definitely Empire State Building, I don't think the Sears Tower is ugly or anything, actually I really really like it, but it just can't compare. I think the ESB looks sooo much better, just timeless.

Someone else said it best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
ESB quicker than a heartbeat. It's historic, iconic, classy, timeless, beautiful.

Last edited by missRoxyhart; 05-09-2010 at 09:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 09:18 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,006 times
I like Sears Tower better. But I do agree Sears Tower and Empire State are two very different buildings. One is SOM but clearly a descendant of Mies Van Der Rohe's Seagram building.

And there is nothing timeless about Empire State Building, if anything Sears Tower is the more timeless of the two. SOM was influenced by Mies, Mies was influenced by Le Corbusier, Le Corbusier. Le Corbusier and Mies created modern architecture and is still one of the main schools of thinking in architecture schools around the world. Bahaus is what Modern Contemporary design is. Ikea for example. How many stores however do you know of that are still manufacturing and selling art deco?

I understand ESB is more of an icon. And I understand lots of people think it looks great and has the rich history. But from a design, style, and architecture perspective I love the Sears Tower significantly more.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:28 PM

7 posts, read 46,307 times
The Sears Tower has no hope of ever comparing to the Empire State Building, just like Chicago has no hope of ever comparing to NYC.

(No offense to Chicagoans.)

Old 10-03-2010, 02:10 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Two totally different buildings. I like both equally for what they are.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:43 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
The Sears Tower's height is impressive. I think any city in the US would welcome it, but I think the ESB is more iconic and aesthetically pleasing

Old 10-03-2010, 04:30 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantapplepie View Post
The Sears Tower has no hope of ever comparing to the Empire State Building, just like Chicago has no hope of ever comparing to NYC.

(No offense to Chicagoans.)
This is what I mean in my other thread.
People always comparing Chicago to NYC and then saying Chicago doesn't stack up.

Well of course it doesn't. No other city in the U.S. does!
But everyone always has to say Chicago

Old 10-04-2010, 12:43 AM

3 posts, read 5,613 times
its not on here i say the chrsyler building if you ever entered into the lobby you would know why and the outside is a thing of beauty

Old 07-31-2014, 09:12 PM

591 posts, read 781,940 times
ESB is defiantly more beautiful. but i love the Sears Tower! (Yes i probably am biased) I love the way the Tower looms over everything else in the loop, like it owns it, like its a guardian. there is nothing beautiful about it. it is like the Hulk. He is super cool, super menacing, and super huge, but he is far from beautiful. Same thing goes for the Sears. i just love it.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:39 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
ESB is defiantly more beautiful. but i love the Sears Tower! (Yes i probably am biased) I love the way the Tower looms over everything else in the loop, like it owns it, like its a guardian. there is nothing beautiful about it. it is like the Hulk. He is super cool, super menacing, and super huge, but he is far from beautiful. Same thing goes for the Sears. i just love it.

A guardian? The Hulk? Noooo you're not biased. 😄

Old 08-02-2014, 01:48 PM

591 posts, read 781,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
A guardian? The Hulk? Noooo you're not biased. 😄
well when the next tallest building in the loop to roof height is 311 south wacker, at 961 feet, the sears is about 500 feet taller than anything else in the loop, plus more because the loop inst at a height average of 900 feet, that is a lot of height difference there. so it stands out, maybe a better compairison would be Shaquille O'Neal standing in a huge crowd of teenagers XD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City