Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Empire State Building VS The Sears Tower
Empire State Building 197 60.62%
Sears Tower 128 39.38%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 08:49 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,776,449 times

Advertisements

Even though the poll is much closer than I would expect, you just can't compare the Sears to the Empire State Building.

The Sears Tower is an American icon and perfect model of the International Style from the 60s and 70s. The Empire State Building, on the other hand, is a WORLD icon, recognized by billions of people for about 8 decades now. It's what most people think first when they hear the word "skyscraper".

Really not a good comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 05:25 PM

177 posts, read 173,628 times
I'm biased although I like the design of the empire state the sears can hang with any skyscraper in the world with regards to height, style, design love the all black look it compliments the Hancock perfectly

Old 08-08-2014, 12:40 AM

591 posts, read 776,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownsFinest View Post
I'm biased although I like the design of the empire state the sears can hang with any skyscraper in the world with regards to height, style, design love the all black look it compliments the Hancock perfectly
Agreed. plus the two black boxy buildings really frame the skyline

Old 08-08-2014, 02:28 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,232,984 times
Both are great, but the fact that the thread poster couldn't even get the right name for one speaks to which of the two isn't particularly iconic.

ESB is a global icon, up there with Statue of Liberty, Big Ben, Pyramids of Giza, Eifel Tower, etc.

Willis Tower is well-known but not really a global icon.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:15 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,956,577 times
I 've been to both over the years. I appreciate them for what they are because they are uniquely different. The ESB and Sears (I'm old school..Willis what?) have different characteristics some I find better than others. Some of the traits I like about the ESB over Sears is the fact they have an out door observatory and longer historical significance with all the Indiana Limestone plastered on it's side which came from Bedford,IN (see Empire Quarry) and steel from Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania. If you're a big fan of ESB I highly recommend visiting the huge crater site in Bedford known as Empire Quarry which also is breath taking. Source: Indiana Limestone Month | Events, Tours & Exhibitions As for Sears, it appears to be more dominant due to having larger floor plates and height compared to ESB (with fuller volume). It's a beast. If placed side by side with Sears one side of the ESB observatory view of the NYC skyline would be blocked. In a sense, what one WTC building was to NYC. The glass boxes gives off some adrenalin rush experience especially for those who have fear of heights. It would be something if they could actually open it's roof top as an out door observatory. The views from the sky deck are also amazing. I wonder if the Freedom Tower (I still call it that) will also have an observatory like the ESB or Sears.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:54 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Both are great, but the fact that the thread poster couldn't even get the right name for one speaks to which of the two isn't particularly iconic.

ESB is a global icon, up there with Statue of Liberty, Big Ben, Pyramids of Giza, Eifel Tower, etc.

It will ALWAYS be "Sears" Tower to many people.

It's an American icon. It's a symbol of the International style, but it doesn't even touch the ESB as far as global recognition goes.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:13 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,232,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
IThe views from the sky deck are also amazing. I wonder if the Freedom Tower (I still call it that) will also have an observatory like the ESB or Sears.
One WTC will have an observatory, as will Two Hudson Yards (or whatever they're calling the new Time Warner HQ), so there will be two major observatories joining ESB and 30 Rock in the next few years.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:19 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,775,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

Lol.

The thread BEGAN in February, 2009.

It was officially named Willis Tower in July, 2009. So the OP DID get the name right.

Check, check, re-check people!

Mostly agree with your post though.... but I do think Willis Tower is an international icon, maybe just not to the degree as any tall building in New York. Every tall building in New York must be better known than Willis Tower.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:43 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,490,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Lol.

The thread BEGAN in February, 2009.

It was officially named Willis Tower in July, 2009. So the OP DID get the name right.

Check, check, re-check people!

Mostly agree with your post though.... but I do think Willis Tower is an international icon, maybe just not to the degree as any tall building in New York. Every tall building in New York must be better known than Willis Tower.
You were doing great until the last statement! Sears Tower was the tallest in the world for over 20 years, you think more people know 70 Pine St or Citigroup Ctr than Willis? You're kidding, right?

Old 08-11-2014, 11:48 AM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
but I do think Willis Tower is an international icon, maybe just not to the degree as any tall building in New York. Every tall building in New York must be better known than Willis Tower.
3... maybe 4. But that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City