Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 05:59 PM

542 posts, read 1,498,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazmlp View Post
I'm just stating my opinion, if one of the morons on this forum want's to start a forum war over it, big deal. this is an internet forum, no one actually takes this stuff seriously
You'd be surprised. And I was being somewhat tongue in cheek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 07:26 PM

28 posts, read 125,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
As per the earlier posting of the Southern identity survey, I accidently left a few states out when copying and pasting! Here is the complete version:

Percent who say they are Southerners (percentage base in parentheses)

Mississippi 90 (432) Louisiana 89 (606) Alabama 88 (716) Tennessee 84 (838) South Carolina 82 (553) Arkansas 81 (399) Georgia 81 (1017) North Carolina 80 (1290) Texas 68 (2053) Kentucky 68 (584) Virginia 60 (1012) Oklahoma 53 (410) Florida 51 (1791) West Virginia 25 (84) Maryland 19 (192) Missouri 15 (197) Delaware 12 (25) D.C. 12 (16)

New Mexico 13 (68) Utah 11 (70) Indiana 10 (208) Illinois 9 (362) Ohio 8 (396) Arizona 7 (117) Michigan 6 (336)

The undisputedly "non-Southern" states in the last batch were used as a sort of "control group", as I recall.
I think it is interesting that they surveyed 1000 residents from VA and only 25 from Delaware, 16 from DC and 192 from Maryland. I wonder if the percentage numbers would change if they would have surveyed more people in each of these states? Also, when was this survey done?

Old 02-28-2009, 07:54 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguy87 View Post
I think it is interesting that they surveyed 1000 residents from VA and only 25 from Delaware, 16 from DC and 192 from Maryland. I wonder if the percentage numbers would change if they would have surveyed more people in each of these states? Also, when was this survey done?
As I understand it, the "percentage base" was year by year and corelated to the poupulation at large.

Here is more information on it.

CHAPEL HILL – Ask even educated Americans what states form "the South," and you’re likely to get 100 different answers. Almost everyone will agree on Deep South states -- except maybe Florida -- but which border states belong and which don’t can be endlessly debated.

Now, the Southern Focus Poll, conducted by the Institute for Research in Social Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, provides strong support for including such states as Texas, Kentucky and Oklahoma in the South. On the other hand, West Virginia, Maryland, Missouri, Delaware and the District of Columbia don’t belong anymore, if they ever did.

Fourteen polls, surveying a total of more than 17,000 people between 1992 and 1999 show, for example, that only 7 percent of D.C. residents responding say that they live in the South.

Only 14 percent of Delaware residents think they live in the region, followed by Missourians with 23 percent, Marylanders with 40 percent and West Virginians with 45 percent.

"We found 84 percent of Texans, 82 percent of Virginians, 79 percent of Kentuckians and 69 percent of Oklahomans say they live in the South," says Dr. John Shelton Reed, director of the institute. "Our findings correspond to the traditional 13-state South as defined by the Gallup organization and others, but is different from the Census Bureau’s South, which doesn’t make sense."

The U.S. Census Bureau includes Delaware, D.C., Maryland and West Virginia in its definition.

"Clearly some parts of Texas aren’t Southern – whatever you mean by that -- and some parts of Maryland are," Reed said. "But sometimes you need to say what ‘the Southern states’ are, and this kind of information can help you decide. Our next step is to look inside individual states like Texas, break the data down by county, and say, for example, where between Beaumont and El Paso people stop telling you that you’re in the South."

A report on the findings, produced by UNC-CH’s Institute for Research in Social Science, will appear in the June issue of the journal "Southern Cultures." Reed, who directs the institute, says the results should interest many people including survey, marketing and census researchers.

"Personally, I think they ought to be interesting too to ordinary folk who are curious about where people stop telling you you’re in the South as you’re travelling west or north," he said. "Where that is has been kind of hard to say sometimes."

Perhaps surprisingly, 11 percent of people in Utah, 10 percent in Indiana and slighter fewer people in Illinois, Ohio, Arizona and Michigan claim to be Southerners.

"That’s because in the early part of this century millions of people left the South, and their migration was one of the great migrations not just in American history, but in world history," Reed said. "Their children may not think of themselves as Southern, but they still do."

The UNC-CH sociologist said he was surprised that 51 percent of Floridians describe themselves as Southerners even though 90 percent know their community is in the South.

"Florida is the only state in lower 48 where most people living there weren’t born there," he said. "In fact, most of them weren’t born in the South, much less in Florida."

Because of the South’s growing economy, only between 90 and 80 percent of residents of Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas, Georgia and the Carolinas said they are Southerners, the surveys showed.

"If you want to define the South as where people say it is, now we have a better sense of it," Reed said. "For the most part, it confirms what I already suspected, which is why I’m glad to see it. This work shows something we wanted to show, but haven’t been able to before."

Old 02-28-2009, 08:25 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
I didn't read every single post so maybe this has been hashed out already...but having lived in Cincinnati, OH, I can say without reservation that Ohioans DO NOT consider themselves southern. In fact, the people in Cincinnati go out of their way to disassociate and differentiate themselves from the "hillybilly's" across the Ohio River in Kentucky. I'm originally from North Carolina so I have a southern accent (though not as strong as most North Carolinians), so I was often having to defend myself as not being from KY just to connect with people. Thank God I don' live in OH anymore!

Old 03-01-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazmlp View Post
basically with the exception of Florida the further down you go the more southern it gets
What strikes me about this survey is the "gap" between the percentage of the respondents who consider themselves to live in the South and consider themselves to be Southerners.

Even in Deep South states there is a "chasm" between the two.

This is most noteable in Florida, but pretty obvious in Texas and Virginia as well. I imagine it has a lot to do with migration patterns from non-Southern states and/or an ever increasing hispanic population (especially in Texas and Florida). That is, while some people will say yes, their community is in the South, they don't personally consider themselves to be Southerners.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:23 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguy87 View Post
I think a lot of it may have had to do with the size of the state. They probably figured the smaller in geography and population, the more representative of an answer they'd get. Maybe they would've changed, but I seriously doubt dramatically.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I think a lot of it may have had to do with the size of the state. They probably figured the smaller in geography and population, the more representative of an answer they'd get. Maybe they would've changed, but I seriously doubt dramatically.
Here is a link to the main source where one can research the methodology, etc. concerning the study in question:

Center for the Study of the American South

Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
As per the earlier posting of the Southern identity survey, I accidently left a few states out when copying and pasting! Here is the complete version:

Percent who say they are Southerners (percentage base in parentheses)

Mississippi 90 (432) Louisiana 89 (606) Alabama 88 (716) Tennessee 84 (838) South Carolina 82 (553) Arkansas 81 (399) Georgia 81 (1017) North Carolina 80 (1290) Texas 68 (2053) Kentucky 68 (584) Virginia 60 (1012) Oklahoma 53 (410) Florida 51 (1791) West Virginia 25 (84) Maryland 19 (192) Missouri 15 (197) Delaware 12 (25) D.C. 12 (16)

New Mexico 13 (68) Utah 11 (70) Indiana 10 (208) Illinois 9 (362) Ohio 8 (396) Arizona 7 (117) Michigan 6 (336)

The undisputedly "non-Southern" states in the last batch were used as a sort of "control group", as I recall.
Hardly a conclusive study, but thanks for the useful reference! It does give some idea.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Hardly a conclusive study, but thanks for the useful reference! It does give some idea.
Well, I don't know that there is such a critter as a "conclusive study" in the realm of that endlessly debated question of "What/Where is the South." However, the methodology and research seems to be very sound...and it took place over a period of almost a decade. Not like it was one hap-hazard poll.

Anyway, the South and the "idea" of it will forever be unsettled, and not the least of reasons being it is a "state of mind" as much as a geographic location. And even the geography can be limitless. I have heard "the South" defined from everything spanning the spectrum of the Old Confederacy to where Kudzu grows! LOL

I think the point of this particular survey was to "find" the South by where a majority of people considered themselves to live in the South and be Southern.

A good criteria? Who knows. But definitely an original one...

Old 03-01-2009, 09:02 PM

73 posts, read 174,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
You'd be surprised. And I was being somewhat tongue in cheek.
ok, what I should have said is that anyone in their right mind doesn't take this stuff seriously
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City