Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:47 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
if someone answers the question of "how a person in the south carries themselves" then i will answer the question of how a northerner carries him/herself...

only if a southerner answers the question, first. i'm not trying to offend anybody.
first off this "carry themselves" thing is extremely vague, and thus a characteristic I personally don't like to use to compare people or places. I prefer things that can be backed up by quantifiable data, or are very explicit and obvious to observers. Other than being completely subjective, things like this have a tendency to easily provoke some of the more irate posters on this board. don't want to open that can of worms...

that said, IMHO there's no difference in the way Northerners and Southerners at large "carry themselves." Individuals from either region might "carry themselves" a certain way but I'm sure for each portion of the population of either region that "carries themselves" a certain way you can find a similar proportion in the other region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 10:52 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
first off this "carry themselves" thing is extremely vague, and thus a characteristic I personally don't like to use to compare people or places. I prefer things that can be backed up by quantifiable data, or are very explicit and obvious to observers. Other than being completely subjective, things like this have a tendency to easily provoke some of the more irate posters on this board. don't want to open that can of worms...

that said, IMHO there's no difference in the way Northerners and Southerners at large "carry themselves." Individuals from either region might "carry themselves" a certain way but I'm sure for each portion of the population of either region that "carries themselves" a certain way you can find a similar proportion in the other region.
Good answer...people are individuals and therefore carry themselves as individuals. There isn't any certain way that most people from a particular area look or act - people don't carry themselves as a group. It all varies from one person to another.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:25 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbank007 View Post

as far as staying on topic, i would say that southern missouri, indiana, and maryland has the most people who partly identify as southern, especially the eastern shore of maryland.
+ 1

Old 10-14-2009, 04:48 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Southern Indiana, not the north.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:39 AM

515 posts, read 1,059,576 times
Maryland is technically a southern state. After all it Northern border with Pennsylvania is the Mason Dixon line.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
Maryland is technically a southern state. After all it Northern border with Pennsylvania is the Mason Dixon line.
Historically (prior to the Civil War) yes, today no. Read any one of the very many excessively long threads on this subject on either the General US or Maryland/Delaware/Washington DC boards for arguments on both sides.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Historically (prior to the Civil War) yes, today no. Read any one of the very many excessively long threads on this subject on either the General US or Maryland/Delaware/Washington DC boards for arguments on both sides.
Whether or not it's a Southern state is not based on how people feel, it's based on geography and tradition. And as far as the people, I will grant you that many around the major metropolitan areas of DC and Baltimore are more northen in their mentality. Largely because of the transplants who have moved there from other areas. But once you pass into Charles county and the rest of southern Marlyland things are a bit different. I used to to live in Clinton, Maryland for 17 years. I always saw Waldorf and Charles county as the begining of the South, in terms of the feel, the culture..even the accent of the people. Of course that was over ten years ago and things may have changed.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:40 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Technically? Where is the official document please

Old 10-14-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
Whether or not it's a Southern state is not based on how people feel, it's based on geography and tradition. And as far as the people, I will grant you that many around the major metropolitan areas of DC and Baltimore are more northen in their mentality. Largely because of the transplants who have moved there from other areas. But once you pass into Charles county and the rest of southern Marlyland things are a bit different. I used to to live in Clinton, Maryland for 17 years. I always saw Waldorf and Charles county as the begining of the South, in terms of the feel, the culture..even the accent of the people. Of course that was over ten years ago and things may have changed.
Southern Maryland has changed more than any other region in the state over the past decade or so. Calvert County became the second wealthiest county in the state and the second wealthiest small county in the country overall (Charles is 8th). Yeah maybe back when tobacco was growing in the region it was Southern, but the economy and demographics have drastically changed since then.

If you think MD is Southern that's fine and I'm not going to argue, since there's at least 200 pages on that topic on the MD and General US boards, and not just people's opinions but data and other evidence.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Southern Maryland has changed more than any other region in the state over the past decade or so. Calvert County became the second wealthiest county in the state and the second wealthiest small county in the country overall (Charles is 8th). Yeah maybe back when tobacco was growing in the region it was Southern, but the economy and demographics have drastically changed since then.

If you think MD is Southern that's fine and I'm not going to argue, since there's at least 200 pages on that topic on the MD and General US boards, and not just people's opinions but data and other evidence.
Traditionally it is Southern. I can say that growing up in the area, most people I encountered would it agree that Maryland was a southern state. Now for people in Hyattsville and Rockville that may be a different story. I'm a garduate of UM myself by the way. When I was living there you could drive down route five all the way into Virgina and into North Carolina and see little difference in terms of the people,culture etc. It was not uncomon to see people displaying the "stars and bars" in Charles co. But hell, if your argument hinges on the change of demographics, then one could argue that even parts of North Caorlina like Charlotte which have a lot of transplants from up north and are not very southern. And over half the people here in Charleston are from up North..the cultural clime continues to change..will you say that we're not southern either??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City