Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:09 PM

73 posts, read 174,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
That's what i was going to ask you. Most of the population of Maryland lives in Mid-Maryland, a region of the state that almost always associates as northern. Therefore, its more Northern than southern. Southern Maryland I consider the Upper South as well as the Eastern Shore. Western typically calls themselves Appalachian, not identifying as either. But since ive spent a large amount of time in western Maryland, I found that some actually consider themselves Northern, but never heard southern. More People in the state identify as northern, therefore making the state more northern than southern
I think people identify themselves as northern because of the scrutiny that comes with identifying yourself as southern, people tend to label southerners as backward and politically stubborn when really many of them aren't like that at all, and western MD I've seen as a combo between southern Appalachia & the rust belt, but to answer your question I'm from Cloverly, MD, its a small town in the Patuxent River Valley in upper Eastern Montgomery County, most of the people from there identify as southern, while the outsiders who moved from other places usually identify as northern, Cloverly was once a sleepy little town but thanks to the "heads up their ass" Montgomery County government, developers are building up there more & more, they are slowly but surely turning what was a nice little town into a sprawling suburban s**thole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 12:24 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
[quote=KeyserSoze;7661918]Give ME a break. All she said was that her friend from the area where DE, MD, & PA meet had a Southern accent to her ears, and all I said was that her rural-sounding voices sound like Southern ones to some. Stop trying to use this or any other opportunity to shove your opinion down my throat, and take a few chill pills and some reading comprehension classes while you're at it. Saying all of Maryland is like Southern PA is laughable. You lose all credibility when you say silly things like that. I didn't want to say it, I really didn't, but much like a whole group of people on this forum, you ARE Southern-phobic. [quote]

Now you're being defensive. I am many things, but a Southern phobic isn't one of them. Way, way back, half of the ancestors on my paternal side came from Georgia, and my grandmother lived in Louisiana the whole 16 years of my life I knew her before she died. So no, I am not a Southern phobic, if I were, I would be denying the fact that my own family has some ancient Southern roots. But I have been to every state in the South and have had a good exposure to various kinds of Southern cultures/feels, so I know enough to what is southern and what isn't. I have a great respect and love of Southern culture, despite what you may or may not think. You really don't know anything about me, yet you presume you do. When people like you try to call me a Southern phobic, it's usually a sign you are running out of gas. I know for a fact that there is no way you could call most of modern Maryland southern. I have been to southern Pennsylvania and there isn't that big of a difference from most of Maryland. Climate may be the only thing that is different, other than that, the culture and dialects of most people in the state, as Billiam pointed out, and whom I respect and agree with, are today more like Pennsylvania than Virginia. Our opinions are going to differ either way, so I think I'm done doing this with you

Old 02-28-2009, 01:54 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
I think some are mis-understanding the original question, which was which state had the most number of people identifying as southern. But I don't mind discussion about the overall Southerness of state, that is interesting too. But of course states like Indiana, Ohio are not southern; but I'm wondering what small percentage in these states is largest.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:20 AM

[quote=ajf131;7665525][quote=KeyserSoze;7661918]Give ME a break. All she said was that her friend from the area where DE, MD, & PA meet had a Southern accent to her ears, and all I said was that her rural-sounding voices sound like Southern ones to some. Stop trying to use this or any other opportunity to shove your opinion down my throat, and take a few chill pills and some reading comprehension classes while you're at it. Saying all of Maryland is like Southern PA is laughable. You lose all credibility when you say silly things like that. I didn't want to say it, I really didn't, but much like a whole group of people on this forum, you ARE Southern-phobic.
Quote:

Now you're being defensive. I am many things, but a Southern phobic isn't one of them. Way, way back, half of the ancestors on my paternal side came from Georgia, and my grandmother lived in Louisiana the whole 16 years of my life I knew her before she died. So no, I am not a Southern phobic, if I were, I would be denying the fact that my own family has some ancient Southern roots. But I have been to every state in the South and have had a good exposure to various kinds of Southern cultures/feels, so I know enough to what is southern and what isn't. I have a great respect and love of Southern culture, despite what you may or may not think. You really don't know anything about me, yet you presume you do. When people like you try to call me a Southern phobic, it's usually a sign you are running out of gas. I know for a fact that there is no way you could call most of modern Maryland southern. I have been to southern Pennsylvania and there isn't that big of a difference from most of Maryland. Climate may be the only thing that is different, other than that, the culture and dialects of most people in the state, as Billiam pointed out, and whom I respect and agree with, are today more like Pennsylvania than Virginia. Our opinions are going to differ either way, so I think I'm done doing this with you
southern PA reminds me more of Carroll County & upper Baltimore County in MD and some of western MD reminds me of western PA but thats it, the rest of MD seems more similar to VA, and this is coming from a lifelong Marylander who as also been to both PA & VA

Old 02-28-2009, 07:19 AM

542 posts, read 1,499,252 times
[quote=ajf131;7665525][quote=KeyserSoze;7661918]Give ME a break. All she said was that her friend from the area where DE, MD, & PA meet had a Southern accent to her ears, and all I said was that her rural-sounding voices sound like Southern ones to some. Stop trying to use this or any other opportunity to shove your opinion down my throat, and take a few chill pills and some reading comprehension classes while you're at it. Saying all of Maryland is like Southern PA is laughable. You lose all credibility when you say silly things like that. I didn't want to say it, I really didn't, but much like a whole group of people on this forum, you ARE Southern-phobic.
Quote:

That's what you said before, and the time before that and the time before that. I didn't bring up anything about Maryland and you just chimed in, guns ablazing just to prove your so-called point. Like I said, if you need help being directed to an anger management class or a reading comprehension one, I have some great sources I can show you. I told you to be careful with all that "Maryland is Southern" propaganda, wazmlp.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:58 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
That is generally true for the majority of Missouri as well. However in all four of these states, the southernmost portions tend to identify more with the South than the Midwest. A survey done by the University of North Carolina, which has been presented in numerous past threads on here, does a pretty good job of answering this question. As I recall, Missouri had about 23% of those surveyed out of a sample 200 identify as Southern, Maryland and Delaware about 40%, Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio between 5-15%, and West Virginia around 50%. Kentucky and Oklahoma had around 70% identify as Southern and I believe Virginia had over 60%. These are based strictly from memory, so I could be slightly off, but I know that the majority of people in Maryland and Delaware don't identify as Southern in that survey.
Here is the survey you are referring to, AJ. It was a "Southern Focus Poll" out of the University of North Carolina and the results below are the "average" of 14 seperate polls taken over a seven year period:

Percent who say their community is in the South (percentage base in parentheses)

Alabama 98 (717) South Carolina 98 (553) Louisiana 97 (606) Mississippi 97 (431) Georgia 97 (1017) Tennessee 97 (838) North Carolina 93 (1292) Arkansas 92 (400) Florida 90 (1792) Texas 84 (2050) Virginia 82 (1014) Kentucky 79 (582) Oklahoma 69 (411)

West Virginia 45 (82) Maryland 40 (173) Missouri 23 (177) Delaware 14 (21) D.C. 7 (15)

Percent who say they are Southerners (percentage base in parentheses)

Mississippi 90 (432) Louisiana 89 (606) Alabama 88 (716) Tennessee 84 (838) South Carolina 82 (553) Arkansas 81 (399) Georgia 81 (1017) North Carolina 80 (1290) Texas 68 (2053) Kentucky 68 (584) Virginia 60 (1012) Oklahoma 53 (410) Florida 51 (1791)

Old 02-28-2009, 08:25 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
That's what you said before, and the time before that and the time before that. I didn't bring up anything about Maryland and you just chimed in, guns ablazing just to prove your so-called point. Like I said, if you need help being directed to an anger management class or a reading comprehension one, I have some great sources I can show you. I told you to be careful with all that "Maryland is Southern" propaganda, wazmlp.[/quote]

You know what then, forget it. If I misunderstood you, sorry. Let's just bury the hatchet and move on.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:45 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Default Corrected!

As per the earlier posting of the Southern identity survey, I accidently left a few states out when copying and pasting! Here is the complete version:

Mississippi 90 (432) Louisiana 89 (606) Alabama 88 (716) Tennessee 84 (838) South Carolina 82 (553) Arkansas 81 (399) Georgia 81 (1017) North Carolina 80 (1290) Texas 68 (2053) Kentucky 68 (584) Virginia 60 (1012) Oklahoma 53 (410) Florida 51 (1791) West Virginia 25 (84) Maryland 19 (192) Missouri 15 (197) Delaware 12 (25) D.C. 12 (16)

New Mexico 13 (68) Utah 11 (70) Indiana 10 (208) Illinois 9 (362) Ohio 8 (396) Arizona 7 (117) Michigan 6 (336)

The undisputedly "non-Southern" states in the last batch were used as a sort of "control group", as I recall.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:32 PM

I told you to be careful with all that "Maryland is Southern" propaganda, wazmlp.[/quote]
I'm just stating my opinion, if one of the morons on this forum want's to start a forum war over it, big deal. this is an internet forum, no one actually takes this stuff seriously

Old 02-28-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
As per the earlier posting of the Southern identity survey, I accidently left a few states out when copying and pasting! Here is the complete version:

Mississippi 90 (432) Louisiana 89 (606) Alabama 88 (716) Tennessee 84 (838) South Carolina 82 (553) Arkansas 81 (399) Georgia 81 (1017) North Carolina 80 (1290) Texas 68 (2053) Kentucky 68 (584) Virginia 60 (1012) Oklahoma 53 (410) Florida 51 (1791) West Virginia 25 (84) Maryland 19 (192) Missouri 15 (197) Delaware 12 (25) D.C. 12 (16)

New Mexico 13 (68) Utah 11 (70) Indiana 10 (208) Illinois 9 (362) Ohio 8 (396) Arizona 7 (117) Michigan 6 (336)

The undisputedly "non-Southern" states in the last batch were used as a sort of "control group", as I recall.
basically with the exception of Florida the further down you go the more southern it gets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City