Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in?
New Jersey 73 57.48%
South Carolina 54 42.52%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:58 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,072 times

Advertisements

Duh! SC of course. 'Tis home.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:10 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,561 times
SC beats NJ in the taxes and lower cost of living by a mile. The weather can be a tie. I rather have a blizzard than a hurricane for sure.

I hear that Hilton Head Island is beautiful, but NJ does have towns such as Cape May, which Hilton Head island kind of remind me of.

Obviously, Philly and NYC isn't in Jersey, though large parts of the state is in each respective metro area. Example, one can live in Bergen County, NJ and is just a short train ride away from Midtown Manhattan.

If anything, these two states are proverbial-and literally-miles apart. It just depends on the type of lifestyle one is looking for. If you're looking for more of a laid back casual type of life, SC may be your place. If you want to be in a more upbeat pace with a mild tempo, then I'm sure you will like NJ.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:19 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,488,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
SC beats NJ in the taxes and lower cost of living by a mile. The weather can be a tie. I rather have a blizzard than a hurricane for sure.

I hear that Hilton Head Island is beautiful, but NJ does have towns such as Cape May, which Hilton Head island kind of remind me of.

Obviously, Philly and NYC isn't in Jersey, though large parts of the state is in each respective metro area. Example, one can live in Bergen County, NJ and is just a short train ride away from Midtown Manhattan.

If anything, these two states are proverbial-and literally-miles apart. It just depends on the type of lifestyle one is looking for. If you're looking for more of a laid back casual type of life, SC may be your place. If you want to be in a more upbeat pace with a mild tempo, then I'm sure you will like NJ.
NJ is a lot colder than SC, but I would rather deal with cold weather any day over sinuses/allergies

I found this article and in 2004 it list the top 50 places in N America for allergies/sinuses with 50,000 plus as a population.

I live off of Claritin D and I still have very bad alleriges

2. Augusta-Aiken, GA-SC = Around 45 minutes from me
4. Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC = Around an hour and a half from me
17. Columbia, SC = I live here now
19. Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, SC = Around an hour and a half
41. Charleston-North Charleston, SC = Around an hour and a half

Old 02-25-2009, 03:21 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,856,443 times
^It's all of the pollution coming in out of Atlanta.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
^It's all of the pollution coming in out of Atlanta.
Atlanta was actually number one on the study

Charlotte was 4th

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/7524.php

Old 02-25-2009, 05:45 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,466,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
SC does have in its favor that its a lower cost of living.

But, the only thing in the state for attractions is Myrtle Beach and Charleston, which gets redundant very quickly.

In NJ you have NYC, Philly, Atlantic City, The Hamptons and The Jersey Shore. So yeah its more expensive, but there is a price for entertainment.

I understand where you are coming from on the cost of living though.

What I cant understand is better scenery?
Myrtle Beach and Charleston are the only attractions you see in South Carolina. I don't even like Myrtle Beach. I like Charleston but I see a lot of other attractions in South Carolina besides Charleston. Not everyone needs or wants a big city to have entertainment. I like the scenery of South Carolina (and the South in general) more than the dense urban scenery of New Jersey and NYC. The trees, the Spanish moss, the mountains, the fields. If you don't appreciate Southern scenery, you don't appreciate it. I just don't understand how anyone could not appreciate the scenery.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Myrtle Beach and Charleston are the only attractions you see in South Carolina. I don't even like Myrtle Beach. I like Charleston but I see a lot of other attractions in South Carolina besides Charleston. Not everyone needs or wants a big city to have entertainment. I like the scenery of South Carolina (and the South in general) more than the dense urban scenery of New Jersey and NYC. The trees, the Spanish moss, the mountains, the fields. If you don't appreciate Southern scenery, you don't appreciate it. I just don't understand how anyone could not appreciate the scenery.
I understand. I think that a huge factor in determining what sort of scenery a person likes has something to do with age as well

Old 02-25-2009, 06:02 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,561 times
^^ Well, I guess one can say, how can someone not appreciate being close to world class entertainment, theaters, restaurants, museums, parks, monument, etc.

As for scenery, don't let New Jersey fool you, not all of the state is urban. Travel to the Northwestern corner and you will see mountains, forests, and the Delaware Water Gap. Also, South Jersey has the Pine Barrens and the Shore,

Old 02-25-2009, 06:03 PM

749 posts, read 1,315,497 times
SC for the culture and weather.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:05 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,072,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Talk about a drive-by statement. Care to explain why?
I haven't been there yet but will be this June. From what I have seen and from what people I know have said, it is a wonderful place not to mention it's in the South
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.