Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in?
New Jersey 73 57.48%
South Carolina 54 42.52%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:03 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Just out of curiosity, I looked up the amount of TGI Friday restaurants in both states by going to their website. SC has 6, while NJ has 27.
NJ population 8.7 million
SC population 4.4 million

Old 09-30-2009, 09:05 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
You're not helping your case any, LOL. This means NJ still has more restaurants per capita than SC. That should be obvious without even doing the calculations. NJ is roughly twice as large as SC, yet has over four times as many TGIF restaurants.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Which means NJ still has more restaurants per capita than SC. That should be obvious without even doing the calculations. NJ is roughly twice as large as SC, yet has over four times as many TGIF restaurants.
Why are you just checking one chain? Do every American chain while you are at it.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:09 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Mr. McCoy -

A couple of things. First of all, I am not doubting in any way that good food exists in SC. Obviously, there is some fantastic comfort food that you can find in your state.

I've done a pretty good amount of domestic traveling for both business and pleasure. I've found, in ANY region, that the quality of food in extremely rural areas, is generally much lower quality than in urban areas. Yes, rural areas have "mom and pops", but I've found a lot of real dumps in rural areas.

NJ is known for extremely high quality food, and also for it's absolutely huge, and I mean huge, variety in terms of types of cuisines, from all around the country, and all around the world. The fact that we are a stone's throw from Manhattan, NYC really rubs off on the culture of NJ (I guess I'm focusing on North NJ for the time being). NYC is world-renowned for it's restaurants, and overall culture. All of that leaks over into NJ (as well as to the other side - Long Island). So NJ people generally do not have a high tolerance for poor quality food - hell, we grew up going into NYC for entertainment and dining. Many NYCers move across the river to Northern & Central NJ once they settle down with families.

I'm trying not to convey the northern superiority and bigotry that I think you sense, and loathe ... but from my experiences, people in the NYC metro area tend to hold food to a much higher standard than folks in the south (including SC).

So, while SC has some great southern hospitality type food ... it really isn't known for having great food from any other region, or nation. Vice versa, in NJ, you can actually find some really great southern cuisine restaurants -- just not as many as in SC. And that's the way it should be!

Old 09-30-2009, 09:09 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Why are you just checking one chain? Do every American chain while you are at it.
I think he's made his point.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:10 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,700 times
Here's something just for facts, not trying to prove anything.

But a GPS search I did found 20 McDonald's within a 5 mile radius from downtown Elizabeth, NJ. I did the same search for Tyler, TX and only found 7. However it should be noted that there were more Mickey D's in the City of Tyler than in Elizabeth, and of course Elizabeth is much denser. But the fact remains that there were still more McD's establishments closer together in Jersey.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:11 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think he's made his point.
Not really -- chains tend to be pretty regional.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:13 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,700 times
Quote:
Well according to his stats, New Jersey should only have about 12. Not 27!

Old 09-30-2009, 09:13 AM

110 posts, read 101,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Not really -- chains tend to be pretty regional.
Exactly, that poster new that TGI Fridays for some reason are not in South Carolina. Try Applebees, Chilis and The Olive Garden.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Here's something just for facts, not trying to prove anything.

But a GPS search I did found 20 McDonald's within a 5 mile radius from downtown Elizabeth, NJ. I did the same search for Tyler, TX and only found 7. However it should be noted that there were more Mickey D's in the City of Tyler than in Elizabeth, and of course Elizabeth is much denser. But the fact remains that there were still more McD's establishments closer together in Jersey.
McDonalds is fast food. Check chain restaurants. While you are at it check how many independant Diners there are in New Jersey. I know my town is full of restaurants and not one is a chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City