Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 03:39 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,632,486 times

Advertisements

^^^ True, but it depends on the part of NYC. I mean, ain't nothing going to happen in Staten Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 03:46 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
^^^ True, but it depends on the part of NYC. I mean, ain't nothing going to happen in Staten Island.
lol true, but in general it is. You're right about SI though. Even my old nabe didnt have much happening.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:01 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Well, in the downtown districts of Armory Square and Hanover Square, there are some people around. By Syracuse University, the Marshall Street and the Westcott Street areas have some people out and about. Maybe some activity during the week in the Eastwood, Elmwood and Tipperary Hill neighborhoods too, but most of the activity in those neighborhoods is on the weekends.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:35 PM

23,456 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
Black Bear Tavern, hmmm, where on Peachtree is that? And R. Thomas isnt closed thats good to hear, but what about Heuy's next door? I haven't seen them open in a minute.
BBT is right across from Piedmont Hospital.
Huey's is gone, I'm sad to say.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:51 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't think anywhere in the country is as busy at night than NY
While a MUCH smaller area and completely different circumstances than Manhattan, Las Vegas is busy 24-7. I hate just about everything about LV (except bachelor parties, but that could take us WAYYY off topic), and would take NYC at any given opportunity, but it's busy there at all hours. It was the first place I went out at about 1am and left the club when the sun was coming up.

Boston is OK after dark. many neighborhoods see a good amount of activity, but given the size of Metro Boston, it shuts down a bit earlier than it should IMHO. The thing I HATE about Boston is that the subway closes at 1:30am while last call is at 2am (most places). That seems off to me. It feels like they're BEGGING for drunk drivers (and walkers).

Providence to the South is a bit more entertaining late night than Boston. While most bars and clubs call last call at 2am, many allow a few to stay later and lock the doors. There seem to be a bunch of diners and late night dining establshiments in Providence too (famously, Haven Bros which I would NEVER go to sober, but after a few, it's JUUUST right).

Newport RI is my favorite in New England though becuase while the bars shut down at 1am, there are a bunch of places open late to grab a bite, and there is ALWAYS a big afterparty somewhere. I've ended up on strangers yachts sipping champagne, or just at some frat guys' summer rental. A buddy has a house on the main street (Thames) there with a gorgeous roof deck (harbor views, the works) that has a bar, hot tub, etc and it's usually going off 7 days a week. While the bars close early, the city doesn't go to bed until MUCH later (this is in the summer months... winter is a different story).

In all, New England closes early. There are exceptions, but they tend to not be legal ones.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:11 PM

73 posts, read 174,331 times
this is my town in the day time...

pretty quiet, so at night its downright dead

Old 02-28-2009, 08:19 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Mundo View Post
L.A. Live again.

I freakin wish I was there.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:13 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,650 times
I don't understand how some people think 1:00 in the morning is early for a city to shut down. I also wonder how cities can have so much nightlife. Don't people work?

Old 03-01-2009, 09:19 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I don't understand how some people think 1:00 in the morning is early for a city to shut down. I also wonder how cities can have so much nightlife. Don't people work?
That is too early for such a big city to shutdown, especially during the weekend. Houston has a couple of clubs that stay open til 4 in the morning, but not a whole lot.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:26 AM

767 posts, read 2,065,898 times
Downtown Houston and Downtown St. Louis both seem pretty dead unless there is a sporting event or some other type of event going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City