Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which end of Highway 61 should I be going to?
North 37 67.27%
South 18 32.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 01:41 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times

Advertisements

this is a really stupid topic. They're two HUGE areas encompassing a vast variety of different cities, boroughs and towns. You can probably find almost every type of person in each region. If you narrowed it down a bit, maybe some of us would be able to help you. But until then you've just opened up a can of worms as haters will continue to bash the region they dislike and you'll end up with pages of "This region stinks," and it'll eventually turn into a "why does everyone hate Houston?" thread.

Give us something to work with and we can help. This is FAR too broad. You'll meet "down to earth" people in both regions, you'll also meet some loonies in both regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 01:47 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,317,763 times
Being an Atlantan who was born and raised in Wisconsin, I refuse to vote.

While it's easy to make friends here in Atlanta, I do miss the "Tshirt and jeans" casual atmosphere of the Upper Midwest.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:11 PM

970 posts, read 2,949,839 times
Some of the most intolerant places i've experienced: Vermont, Maine, New Jersey & Pennsylvania. Oh, and thanks to our new "friend", I'll add San Fran to that list.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:13 PM

970 posts, read 2,949,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
this is a really stupid topic. They're two HUGE areas encompassing a vast variety of different cities, boroughs and towns. You can probably find almost every type of person in each region. If you narrowed it down a bit, maybe some of us would be able to help you. But until then you've just opened up a can of worms as haters will continue to bash the region they dislike and you'll end up with pages of "This region stinks," and it'll eventually turn into a "why does everyone hate Houston?" thread.

Give us something to work with and we can help. This is FAR too broad. You'll meet "down to earth" people in both regions, you'll also meet some loonies in both regions.
Unfortunately, the OP isn't from the US & has never been here. He/she is quickly developing a reputation for making up polls & topics just because they can.

Oh, Houston sucks & Richmond is in the South!

Old 02-27-2009, 02:33 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
This is not even close. Midwesterners are easily among the finest people that I've known, very genuine, sincere, and good-natured, You can see this come election time as these regions are painted BLUE.

The south may offer that "southern hospitality", but it goes overboard to compensate for a core that seems to always be focused on RACE in a divisive way. Friendliness not sincere in my book and come election time, the region always votes the way of the klan which is RED.
Maybe Cali could use blue.... The last time I checked your state was the one with all of the foreclosures and the most corrupt politicians

Maybe thats the reason why I see forums started up asking for advice on where to move to from Cali

Old 02-28-2009, 01:40 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I live in the Red southern state of Georgia but all of it's major cities including Atlanta, Savannah, Macon, Columbus, Augusta, Albany are Blue. And some have commented that the North is friendlier because it has better race relations but I have seen plenty of racism living in both the North and South.

And what is this Northern obsession with supposed Southern fake friendliness?? The fact of the matter is as a whole southerners are friendlier, politer, and warmer than northerners they just aren't friendly 24/7 365 days a year. Does that make them fake? No it makes them human.
To the other poster, no this was not a loaded question, but asked out of genuine curiosity.

And it's about Northern Midwesterners vs Deep Southerners not just North vs South. They're specific regions.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:46 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Unfortunately, the OP isn't from the US & has never been here. He/she is quickly developing a reputation for making up polls & topics just because they can.

Oh, Houston sucks & Richmond is in the South!
No, I haven't, but will as soon as I have the money. I'm fascinated with America, particularly the South, and actually think Southerners seem more friendly and down to earth myself. I also got the impression those from Minnesota, Wisconsin were friendlier from what people say, and movies like Fargo - I know, I know another ignorant foreigner getting an inaccurate picture from the media, I have 'studied' other facets, and find it all quite interesting, but of course can't act I really know cos I've never been...What I know is mostly American TV and movies.

I ask to learn more from actual Americans, I seldom make assumptions. The thing about Southerners being 'fake friendly' was what I heard from others here. By no means do I take their word for it, I was seeing how accurate their ideas were. And I ask in the spirit of sincere curiosity and interest in a country I hope to spend alot of time of in in the future. Going by the other 'stupid' threads posted here, I was just kind of going with the flow.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:06 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,597,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Who is just more down to earth, genuinely welcoming, friendly to neighbors and outsiders? Which group TENDs to have a more phony friendliness to strangers/visitors?

Being from the midwest as a child, lived in the south over 15 years and returning back to the Midwest 3 years ago. The Midwest is more genuine in their kindness esp NW Indiana. I just wish I could take them all down south to show them what "real friendliness is all about"
Southerners have a tendency to "act" friendly and the next minute talk about you behind your back.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:38 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,289,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
This is not even close. Midwesterners are easily among the finest people that I've known, very genuine, sincere, and good-natured, You can see this come election time as these regions are painted BLUE..
Genuine and sincere as the second in a row governor of Illinois who is on his way to prison? Illinois is plagued with deep rooted corruption, how is this for genuine and sincere?

Old 03-04-2009, 05:40 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,289,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Being from the midwest as a child, lived in the south over 15 years and returning back to the Midwest 3 years ago. The Midwest is more genuine in their kindness esp NW Indiana. I just wish I could take them all down south to show them what "real friendliness is all about"
Southerners have a tendency to "act" friendly and the next minute talk about you behind your back.
I always thought this was very true about Midwesterners... (Illinois)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City