Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which end of Highway 61 should I be going to?
North 37 67.27%
South 18 32.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:58 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,766,800 times

Advertisements

Who is just more down to earth, genuinely welcoming, friendly to neighbors and outsiders? Which group TENDs to have a more phony friendliness to strangers/visitors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 11:04 PM

880 posts, read 2,849,778 times
I would say Northern Midwesterners. Many Deep Southerners (I moved to GA from NH several years ago) are nice to you if you go to their church or vote Republican, but if you are liberal they will make you feel out of place real fast (though there are a few exceptions).

Old 02-27-2009, 12:20 AM

744 posts, read 1,305,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
I would say Northern Midwesterners. Many Deep Southerners (I moved to GA from NH several years ago) are nice to you if you go to their church or vote Republican, but if you are liberal they will make you feel out of place real fast (though there are a few exceptions).
Yeah those exceptions including most of the Population Centers in the South...aka the Cities.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:30 AM

3,643 posts, read 10,690,947 times
I've had many friends from the Midwest who have moved down here and most of them get along fine with Southerners. They both have similar attitudes. Midwesterners might be a little more open to people of different lifestyles and religions.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:01 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,816,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
It's not just liberals they don't like. In some places, if you're just not redneck enough, you'll be an outcast.
I've found the upper midwest to be a whole lot more openly friendly, whereas southerners are very standoffish, completely and utterly fake, or brash and rude towards outsiders.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:04 AM

23,305 posts, read 43,756,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Who is just more down to earth, genuinely welcoming, friendly to neighbors and outsiders? Which group TENDs to have a more phony friendliness to strangers/visitors?
Can you say loaded question?
I wish I had a dollar for every time someone on this forum asserted that Southerners are "phony-friendly". I'm guessing that you already know the result that you want from this.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
It's not just liberals they don't like. In some places, if you're just not redneck enough, you'll be an outcast.
I've found the upper midwest to be a whole lot more openly friendly, whereas southerners are very standoffish, completely and utterly fake, or brash and rude towards outsiders.
Totally untrue, if you're not redneck enough? What? Please. So ignorant of you to think all southerners are "completely and utterly fake"

Old 02-27-2009, 11:08 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,290,211 times
Default Midwest, easy.

This is not even close. Midwesterners are easily among the finest people that I've known, very genuine, sincere, and good-natured, You can see this come election time as these regions are painted BLUE.

The south may offer that "southern hospitality", but it goes overboard to compensate for a core that seems to always be focused on RACE in a divisive way. Friendliness not sincere in my book and come election time, the region always votes the way of the klan which is RED.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:15 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,289,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
This is not even close. Midwesterners are easily among the finest people that I've known, very genuine, sincere, and good-natured, You can see this come election time as these regions are painted BLUE.

The south may offer that "southern hospitality", but it goes overboard to compensate for a core that seems to always be focused on RACE in a divisive way. Friendliness not sincere in my book and come election time, the region always votes the way of the klan which is RED.
You accuse an ENTIRE region of the country of being divisive, and then spew this DIVISIVE garbage yourself?

How "enlightened" of you.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:18 AM

You have such a flawed view of the South.
It's funny listening to all these people talk down about the South as if they are better, yet they say they South is so intolerant. It's all the same stuff you hear in the media too, have you actually explored any of the area? I'm a gay liberal, living in the South, I'm doing just fine, love it. I don't attend clan meetings, don't own a gun, don't get asked to go to church except maybe twice in my lifetime, and I, along with the people I surround myself with all voted for, as you would say... "the right way"(blue)(which by the way, has nothing to do with this topic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City