U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 09:12 PM

554 posts, read 2,320,027 times

Advertisements

Maryland and New Jersey seem to have quite a bit in common, IMO. Both states have some of the wealthiest counties in the country, yet have some very high crime and decaying areas. Both are dominated by cities outside of their boundaries (this is partially true for Maryland though, as it does have Baltimore), and both states have popular beaches.

I am not too familiar with NJ, but I am familiar with MD. I'd like to see how NJ really compares with MD besides what I do (or do not) know.

How are Maryland and New Jersey alike? How are they different? Which would you prefer and why?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 09:19 PM

73 posts, read 153,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Maryland and New Jersey seem to have quite a bit in common, IMO. Both states have some of the wealthiest counties in the country, yet have some very high crime and decaying areas. Both are dominated by cities outside of their boundaries (this is partially true for Maryland though, as it does have Baltimore), and both states have popular beaches.

I am not too familiar with NJ, but I am familiar with MD. I'd like to see how NJ really compares with MD besides what I do (or do not) know.

How are Maryland and New Jersey alike? How are they different? Which would you prefer and why?
New Jersey's suburban sprawl is ten times as big as Maryland's. The only similarities I see is that both have inner city areas and suburbs, New Jersey seems to have a lot more of both, New Jersey has almost no rural areas except for parts of South Jersey, Maryland has more rural areas than urban/suburban, MD's suburban areas are condensed to parts of the central part of the state around DC & Baltimore, I'm from MD and prefer Maryland over New Jersey for obvious reasons

Old 02-27-2009, 09:21 PM

2,650 posts, read 5,329,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazmlp View Post
New Jersey has almost no rural areas except for parts of South Jersey
False.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:23 PM

73 posts, read 153,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
False.
ok I forgot sussex & warren counties up in the mountains, but they're slowly but surely getting developed

Old 02-27-2009, 09:38 PM

403 posts, read 1,072,647 times
What's with all these "insert state vs New Jersey" threads? I didn't realize people thought about my home state so much.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:41 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,115,050 times
I'm pretty fimiliar with both NJ and MD, so here is my take: Both NJ and MD have large suburban and inner city areas. MD is doninated by the DC and Baltimore metro areas, where more of NJ is located in the NYC and Philly metro areas.

MD does have a large city with a population of almost 700,000; where are NJ largest city only has a population about 280,000. So, MD does have a true major city to call its own. On the flip side, NJ does have more true urban citys such as Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth, Camden, Trenton, etc. In terms of jobs, both states, MD and NJ, ranks #1 and #2 respectively when it comes to personal incomes. Being that the bulks of MD's population lies in the Baltimore-DC corridor, MD to me, seems like a mix of the Northeast and the South. NJ is clearly split between NYC and Phily's metro area. For such a tiny sized state, NJ is clearly divided between the two areas.

As far as living, I will pick NJ, but only by a small amount. I just like the fact it is close to NYC and Philly.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:09 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,059,724 times
I would chose MD. They are both great states though; neither is perfect but we already know that. MD I like because it is close to everything and I like the fact that it borders some regions. I will probably learn more about this state, though. I liked Jersey City when I went up there to visit, great city.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:26 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,251,816 times
Jersey... It has more attractions. Maryland is similar to New Jersey but it doesn't beat NJ.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:16 PM

2,705 posts, read 7,493,716 times
NJ and MD do have a lot of similarities. The primary difference is that NJ is more mountainous and hilly (I don't think MD has any real elevation?), and NJ also has more farmland, I believe.

NJ actually has a LOT of rural areas. Sussex, Warren, and Hunterdon Counties are rural. As well as most of South NJ. The Pine Barrens are massive.

Jersey City, although more of a mid-sized city, has just as much of a city vibe as Baltimore does. Possibly more so than Baltimore. Jersey City has a lot of history and old architecture...I have always felt that the older buildings in Baltimore looked more run down.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:21 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,621,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
NJ and MD do have a lot of similarities. The primary difference is that NJ is more mountainous and hilly (I don't think MD has any real elevation?), and NJ also has more farmland, I believe.

NJ actually has a LOT of rural areas. Sussex, Warren, and Hunterdon Counties are rural. As well as most of South NJ. The Pine Barrens are massive.

Jersey City, although more of a mid-sized city, has just as much of a city vibe as Baltimore does. Possibly more so than Baltimore. Jersey City has a lot of history and old architecture...I have always felt that the older buildings in Baltimore looked more run down.
Nope, actually Maryland is much more hilly/Mountainous than New Jersey.
Maryland also most likely (most definenlty) has more farm land
No way of measuring which has of a city-feel,although they both do
both cities have run-down areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or